2 Player Challenge Tournament Signups

Moderator: TTBen

Re: 2 Player Challenge Tournament Signups

Postby mhsmith0 » 01 Mar 2018, 08:38

Jensen wrote:Pre-tournament I think the head to head on this site was roughly Austria 47 against France 42. Generally I think the advantage for 1 on 1 ignoring age of empires and fog of war variety are:
R > A > F > G > I > T > E.

R obviously strongest, E obviously weakest, and T obviously next weakest. Among the others, I’d probably say...

G > A > I > F

Germany should thrash France in 1v1 (more central location, quicker build access, etc)
Austria should handle Italy without too much difficulty
Germany v Austria is probably interesting and I think it favors Germany more often than not
Italy v France I might actually be wrong on given frances flexibility, but Italy having more central build access (and ability to threaten Iberia early) I think matters
Proud holder of the Superior Tophat of Solving, an item entrusted with the forum's most prominent smartass
mhsmith0
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1269)
All-game rating: (1439)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby Jensen » 01 Mar 2018, 15:29

I take your point about G>F.

G v A I think is close. I've had more success with Austria. Its a similar stalemate line to A v F but Germany has a better shot at War or Mos than France would. On the other hand, Austria has a better shot at Iberia than when F is defending.

But I think F>I because F can open with mar-pie. If Italy bounces them, France takes spa in the fall and still gets 3 builds. But if Italy doesnt bounce in pie, then they spend the rest of the game defending home scs. Even if they gain scs in the Balkan's, they are a home scs down because Venice is always occupied.
Jensen

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1444
All-game rating: 1448
Timezone: GMT

Postby mhsmith0 » 01 Mar 2018, 18:34

with G vs A, I think it's actually really hard for Austria to get a meaningful foothold in Iberia (harder to pull that off than it is for Austria to get Germany centers in A/F, for instance). In G vs I, Italy can usually get traction in Iberia due to being able to spam fleets (and even there, sealing off MAO is doable for Germany if they commit at the right time), but in G vs A, Austria can at most build one fleet per year, and I'd generally think a 1901 fleet build is unlikely given how important it is to have forces on the main fighting lines.

In F vs I, France CAN open Mar-Pie, but I'm not sure at all that that's optimal for France here

Italy can open with
Ven-Tri
Rom-Ven
Nap-TYS
(and I think that's generally the optimal opening in F/I for Italy, with an Italian Pie move at least defensible on a strategic basis)

If France opens
Par-Bur (duh)
Bre-MAO (duh)
then the ? is what to do with the Mar army, and you're probably picking between Pie or Spa. Pie works pretty well as a bounce attempt (Mar-Spa and MAO-Por gets you three builds compared to Italy's two if there's a bounce), but if Pie succeeds I don't really like France's position there
Proud holder of the Superior Tophat of Solving, an item entrusted with the forum's most prominent smartass
mhsmith0
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1269)
All-game rating: (1439)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby Jensen » 24 Apr 2018, 05:06

Game 143798. I am convinced F>I.
Jensen

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1444