PDL 1, Round 3, Game 1. AAR

After game reports for PlaDip Diplomacy League games

Moderator: mjparrett

Re: PDL 1, Round 3, Game 1. AAR

Postby the_discourses » 07 Sep 2018, 09:29

Or it could be that he had one too many carebear games and that was the straw that broke the camel's back, making him ragequit what was an unfair situation. In all cases, him quitting is perfectly OK, and is something the site has a system to deal with. No more or less 'correct' than letting a solo devolve to a two-way out of pique.
the_discourses

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1556)
All-game rating: (1576)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Pootleflump » 07 Sep 2018, 10:32

the_discourses wrote:Or it could be that he had one too many carebear games and that was the straw that broke the camel's back, making him ragequit what was an unfair situation. In all cases, him quitting is perfectly OK, and is something the site has a system to deal with. No more or less 'correct' than letting a solo devolve to a two-way out of pique.

That is nonsense. The point at which Strategus surrendered was about as cut-throat as it gets. Russia and France had a 17/17 (aka 'race to the solo') pact and were working against Austria 1914-1915. Both of us were in a potential solo position, but in 1915 Russia had the edge. I was a fleet short to hold the med against Italy AND defend the North. The defensive hole was up top.

Fall 1915. Russia got 2 builds, I got none. I told him if he built F StP, he became a serious solo threat and I would work with Austria against him. Strategus didn't believe Austria would work with me and rage-quit when we both turned on him.

That's fine, and I'm sure there were legitimate reasons, but surrendering a game is not an emotionally-neutral act. It has an impact on everybody. I'd just finished my own PDL game amidst surrenders, forum drama and unfounded allegations of metagaming. To face another PDL 1 surrender at my hand because of a flip in alliance structures did not put me in a particularly happy place.

Anyway, greggybear - that was a very noble end.

I wont deny I wanted you to take the solo.

I felt 'France' deserved it. I think we played the strongest game. You got France to the biggest power on the board through some pretty awesome play, whilst I worked my arse off to break the anti-French coalition, stop Austria getting further behind the line, and get us into a winning position. I thought we earned the win.

I guess the surrender just scunnered everyone.

I'm glad you're better and I'm glad I was able to help out. "Pootle Subbing Services" - y'all feel free to call anytime you have a medical emergency.

It was right you came back to finish things off. Your game, and your right to take the ending you wanted. We should all respect the choice. Congrats to Autstria and France :D

Charleroi, I look forward to an AAR when you write nice things about me.
Pootleflump

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1798
All-game rating: 1878

Postby the_discourses » 07 Sep 2018, 11:03

I do not understand why you disagree with my statement when you make the exact same argument in your own post. Both actions (the surrender and the carebaring of the solo) are equally valid and equally the choices of the person playing them.

That being said, I have to stand in Pootleflump's defense here. This isn't the only game she subbed for greggybear, and I was accidentally in the previous one that just finished (you got a 3-SC Germany in the dumps, I was Italy that initially helped Germany, then took the SC's). I had no clue the situation was similar in the one I just joined. In that particular game, she was in a hopeless position, and greggy complained for a long time beforehand of his poor eyesight and not being able to play well. On that, his stopping and finding a sub was not only appropriate, but very thoughtful since he managed the transition to avoid any disruptions--something he didn't have to do. So, whoever is insinuating that this whole thing was suspicious is very wrong--the behavior was consistent and thoughtful throughout.
the_discourses

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1556)
All-game rating: (1576)

Postby Pootleflump » 07 Sep 2018, 12:00

I completely arsed greggybear's other game, discourses. I fell victim to Mike Parrett's smooth talking lips!

Thank you for the kind comments.
Pootleflump

Standard rating: 1798
All-game rating: 1878

Postby Strategus » 07 Sep 2018, 13:48

Still aot of assumptions out there. I didn't "rage quit". Whayever that is. It was a decision process. Stop telling me why I do things, what I respect, when you clearly have no idea.
The Devil makes work for idle forces

Better to have fought and lost, than never to have fought at all
Actual Platinum Classicist
I did WDC 2017

UK f2f Champion 2019
Just say "NO!" To carebears and kittens
Strategus
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1546
All-game rating: 1652

Postby Don Juan of Austria » 07 Sep 2018, 14:38

Strategus wrote:Still aot of assumptions out there. I didn't "rage quit". Whayever that is. It was a decision process. Stop telling me why I do things, what I respect, when you clearly have no idea.

People do that when they're left to wonder...
"In everything, moderation". ~Aristotle
A proud member of the Whippersnappers,
Bronze Classicists,
Lancer in the PBF cavalry.

Mild Hiatus.
Don Juan of Austria
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1051
All-game rating: 1148
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Strategus » 07 Sep 2018, 14:50

Don Juan of Austria wrote:
Strategus wrote:Still aot of assumptions out there. I didn't "rage quit". Whayever that is. It was a decision process. Stop telling me why I do things, what I respect, when you clearly have no idea.

Why? Are they bored with their own lives?
The Devil makes work for idle forces

Better to have fought and lost, than never to have fought at all
Actual Platinum Classicist
I did WDC 2017

UK f2f Champion 2019
Just say "NO!" To carebears and kittens
Strategus
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1546
All-game rating: 1652

Postby Charleroi » 07 Sep 2018, 15:16

Pootleflump wrote: Charleroi, I look forward to an AAR when you write nice things about me.

Wait no more! Pootle did excellent work in this game and I am sorry that didn't come through in my previous AAR. When she took over France was a in a very strong position but had essentially no hope of progressing further. Over the next few years (doubtless due in part to Pootle's behind the scenes wrangling), the game broke back open again. The game play became dynamic - Pootle successfully fought off an invasion of the home country and put France in a position to fight for the solo victory before she handed it back over to greggybear.
Charleroi
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1554
All-game rating: 1723
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Don Juan of Austria » 07 Sep 2018, 15:33

Strategus wrote:
Don Juan of Austria wrote:

Why? Are they bored with their own lives?

I clearly have no idea... so... :mrgreen:
"In everything, moderation". ~Aristotle
A proud member of the Whippersnappers,
Bronze Classicists,
Lancer in the PBF cavalry.

Mild Hiatus.
Don Juan of Austria
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1051
All-game rating: 1148
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby V » 07 Sep 2018, 17:25

the_discourses wrote:I do not understand why you disagree with my statement when you make the exact same argument in your own post. Both actions (the surrender and the carebaring of the solo) are equally valid and equally the choices of the person playing them.

I have read this thread with interest & agreed with most points made (including that Strategus need not justify anything to anyone here) however surrendering & carebearing have no equivalence.
The former is an absolute issue, not to be done under pretty much any circumstances.
The latter is a subjective criticism, of a style of play to which you happen to disagree.
They are not equivalent & to say so has to be disputed.
Platinum Classicist
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
V

Standard rating: 1778
All-game rating: 1829
Timezone: GMT-7

PreviousNext

Return to PDL AARs