PDL 1. Round 3 Game 3. AAR

After game reports for PlaDip Diplomacy League games

Moderator: mjparrett

Re: PDL 1. Round 3 Game 3. AAR

Postby Pootleflump » 20 Jul 2018, 13:35

As homage to the video 'giants and superheroes', FloridaMan and DQ, I'm working on a scary, Scottish, indecipherable video AAR which talks a lot about haggis and whisky.

For what it's worth though, lazysmith, the French take of Munich in F1904 wasn't a stab. It was agreed subterfuge to break the looming stalemate aroud Vienna, and encourage Turkey's elimination of Russia. Same with the subterfuge 'stab' of English fleets into French water in S1905. The WT pretended to disintegrate to break up R/I/T.

R/I/T convoyed Alb to Apu in F1903 to shore up the stalemate against the WT. It went back to Alb in 1904 when France agreed to build an A in Par and DMZ Tyr (French Fleet in Tyr retreated to GoL in S1904). Italy didn't want a Turkish A sitting in his land and France was trying to break up I/T.

At the same time England did some brilliant diplomacy with Old Turkey and convinced him that E/G/T and ultimately E/T was a thing. Old Turkey bought it and eliminated Russia. Problem for Old Turkey was that the WT had never gone away. It took a helluva lot of trust between the WT partners to pull it off. Arguably more trust than was sensible, given the ending.

The WT then re-emerged from its pseudo-fighting and took Vienna in S1905. That was the holy grail. When that happened, Italy realised all was lost, and pitched in with France too - offering to queenmake.

The real stab of Germany, breakdown of the WT and emergence of E/F didn't happen until F1908.

In some ways, it was a real shame not to see the WT all the way to the end. E/G/F were hugely successful, and it was a hard battle. Lots of strategy (V is an awesome strategist) and some really high level, complex diplomacy and subterfuge (where rd came into his own). If I had a role in that trio, it was as the glue that held it all together and kept everyone happy, largely by talking 'shitpost'.

When Alman concluded his investigation, he said that the number of messages made a good classicist game look gunboat. I'd second that. Hunners and hunners of messages flew all over the place. Plots within plots.

And smithy - yes, you were lazy, lol. We kept having to prod you to answer. There is more responsive 'shitpost ' in the forum and AAR that there was in the game!

lolsmithlazy
Blameitonsmith2018
But, I nearly forgot, you must close your eyes otherwise you won't see anything

Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality
Pootleflump
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1823
All-game rating: 1898
Timezone: GMT

Postby WarSmith » 20 Jul 2018, 21:19

Careful with the Smith insults!

You played a blinder Pootle!!! Really a stunning game.
I’ll never forget being told I was too quiet though after 50+ messages in 1901!!! The game was intense.
Sadly it coincided with some personal issues for me so I’m the mid-point I just didn’t have the time or energy.
And it sucks being Italy twice in a row in a tournament!!! So I have an excuse...

Good points:
- Pootle totally played a few people and it was fun to watch that unique technique pay off
- Nice to see a solo rather than boring WT we had all assumed - this is why it’s League 1

Bad points:
- I was really walking with a target on my head having soloed the second game, so the early stage emphasis on removing anonymity and finding out who everyone is was a massive risk to me. (Multiple players doing this - I’m not blaming - just explaining that it sucked to be me there!)
- too Late trying to fix an eastern response to the WT, despite having dealt with Austria early. Russia’s disappearance at just the wrong time and Turkey’s diplomatic problems ended it all.
- I was naive about France attacking me - I just thought she’d hit E or G earlier and leave me along long enough that I could grow. She did a great job of encroaching and playing a wide front. Really perfectly done.
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth even has a chance to put its pants on”
WarSmith
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1724
All-game rating: 1716
Timezone: GMT+2

Postby mhsmith0 » 20 Jul 2018, 22:17

WarSmith wrote:...
And it sucks being Italy twice in a row in a tournament!!! So I have an excuse...

But being Italy is FUN!

Italy and Russia are my most successful and favorite powers by a solid margin :D
Both thrive through chaos and through influencing the whole board, and suffer if they can't pull that off.
I even solo'd a gunboat as Italy, and then was one center away from double gunboat Italy solos :D
Proud holder of the Superior Tophat of Solving, an item entrusted with the forum's most prominent smartass
mhsmith0
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1269)
All-game rating: (1439)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby mhsmith0 » 20 Jul 2018, 22:18

Also, yah very well played to France :)
Proud holder of the Superior Tophat of Solving, an item entrusted with the forum's most prominent smartass
mhsmith0
Premium Member

Postby Pootleflump » 25 Jul 2018, 02:35

I MADE A VIDEO AAR!!! :lol:

Not that anyone will understand a word, although the introduction is in honour of FloridaMan.....

Cringing from the pretend American accent. I was going for Daisy Duke. I don't think I quite pulled it off.

Last edited by Pootleflump on 26 Jul 2018, 00:29, edited 2 times in total.

Pootleflump
Premium Member

Postby hedge trimmer » 25 Jul 2018, 21:31

Pootleflump wrote:I MADE A VIDEO AAR!!! :lol:

Not that anyone will understand a word, although the introduction is in honour of FloridaMan.....

Cringing from the pretend American accent. I was going for Daisy Duke. I don't think I quite pulled it off.

https://youtu.be/UG5tvz3dZgc

That's a pretend American accent? I really don't know anything about English accents beyond "I can understand it/I can't understand it", but I guess that explains why I could follow you (you hear a lot more American here thanks to TV and movies). :? :lol: I don't have a great sound system though, so I found the volume to be a little bit low.

I have to say that the solo definitely seemed to require a lot of work though. That fake stab of Germany combined with the 2 way deal with England was some high level stuff! Well played indeed.
Silent and deadly Loud and annoying
hedge trimmer

Standard rating: 1375
All-game rating: 1394
Timezone: GMT+2

Postby sinnybee » 26 Jul 2018, 00:02

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UG5tvz3dZgc&feature=youtu.be&t=10m36s
yay for cheating lol

Excellent video, Pootle!

And the gameplay was even more excellent!
Quite the orchestration!
Very impressive to have the multiple vassals willing to queen-make at the end.

Your voice did sound quite American... a little bit sad to hear so little of your lovely accent.

I didn't notice until today that your moustache is written into letters lol: "moustache"
Fun to see our avatar at the start--does that mean the solo is half mine? :P jk
Omg though... all those messages... you really earned this one, big time.

btw, you can put your video and other youtube videos into a post by pushing the youtube button and putting the video ID (the end or middle of the link, starting after the "=") inside, like this:

P.S. For those of you like boldblade who don't want to spend 20 minutes on Pootle's AAR, it's quite chill--it's not a dense 20 minutes--it can be watched at 1.5 or 2 speed.
Gold Classicist since 1-11-11
FT Asst GM of 35 player WWIV Aug 2011-Feb 2012
#1 ranked player of playdip early 2013
4th highest forum karma count at Apr 2013 ending (behind Craw, Dipsy, and Rick)
Tournament Director of the 31 game PDVT Feb-Dec 2014, the first playdip tourney with over 100 sign-ups
sinnybee

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1332)
All-game rating: (1467)

Postby Pootleflump » 26 Jul 2018, 00:40

So you can!! Just edited it to include the video.

Thanks for the kind words Sinny, and I'm glad you saw the avatar at the beginning! Of course you share my solo as well as my place at the top of PDL 1. :lol:

I even donned a 'tache for you at the beginning. :lol:

I just watched it again. Next video I think I'll skip through some of the game years and focus a bit more on what I was thinking. Make it shorter. Some folks are saying it's a bit quiet too, although it plays fine for me. I'm learning. Next video will be more awesome!

Pootleflump
Premium Member

Postby mhsmith0 » 26 Jul 2018, 00:46

I tried to play it at work but I got the sound really low, i'll probably try and look at it sometime tonight (translation for those less familiar with smith and timelines: I'll probably do it over the weekend :P )
mhsmith0
Premium Member

Postby DirtyHarry » 26 Jul 2018, 02:27

Wow! I must say, that video AAR was much more enjoyable than it would have been to read all that. Congrats Poot, great game, and great AAR.
DirtyHarry
Premium Member

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: 1356
All-game rating: 1373
Timezone: GMT-5

PreviousNext

Return to PDL AARs