PDL 2020 Division 1 Jan Game A AAR

After game reports for PlaDip Diplomacy League games

Moderator: mjparrett

Re: PDL 2020 Division 1 Jan Game A AAR

Postby V » 16 Mar 2020, 09:16

Fatmo wrote:Oh also.

V, didn't you used to go by another name? I could have sworn I remembered playing you at some point and then you changed your name later. Am I thinking of the right person, and if so, what was your name before?

I don’t think we’ve had the pleasure of meeting across a Diplomacy board. Back in the mists of time, I used to be Senlac, before embracing anarchy :D
Platinum Classicist
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
V

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1778
All-game rating: 1829
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby jay65536 » 16 Mar 2020, 16:17

I don't have time for a long post now, but I've been meaning to pop on here ever since talking with V in the Viewer's Lounge thread, and also I saw this:

MasterGR wrote:If you look at the game history you will notice that we (AG) actually let Russia alone and then she walked into Moscow breaking the stalemate that we had formed against France. But obviously you didn’t and just came to support your friend.

So first off, I was following the game throughout, and I thought that while maybe there were a few turns where V could have played sharper tactics, he played this game very well strategically. I thought the decision to stab Germany was good and also timed perfectly. The fact that all of I/A/R/T were still alive when the stab took place was definitely working in his favor. I don't know whether he consciously thought that the East would be too concerned with draw-whittling to fully stop his solo push, but it worked out just as well either way. The continued squabbling in the East about who did what, even after the game, speaks to how well V's strategy worked.

Second, to this quote above by MasterGR--the Russian move definitely accelerated the collapse of the German line, but that position was not a stalemate. V would (or at least should) have been able to crack that line eventually with or without Russian help. Furthermore, it is perhaps worth considering from the Russian perspective whether maintaining that defensive line was in her interest. If all of her centers are behind the front line it makes her easier to remove from the draw. She probably was aware of this.
jay65536

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1120)
All-game rating: (1126)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby V » 16 Mar 2020, 18:58

“I don't know whether he consciously thought that the East would be too concerned with draw-whittling to fully stop his solo push, but it worked out just as well either way.”

I promised to address specific questions & this came up so I’m happy to try & answer.
The advance on Germany was either going to get stopped in Russia by unified opposition, or not.
It was not a matter I could control, but something I could try & influence whenever possible.

The events after 1908 were particularly interesting in this regard. Austria invited Tyrolia to Vienna as a bargaining chip, pretending to kingmake. I had no idea of the Austrian agenda, but also no great reason to refuse the invitation.
It caused upset with my “allies” Italy & Russia, but knowing that it would only be there one season, any influence Austria gained would be short lived & potentially add to the “eastern story” that had been raging all game.

My initial assumption was that Austria feared elimination by IR & wanted to threaten a French solo, unless they backed off. It’s not my negotiation, but I had no problem with facilitating it occurring by moving to Vienna.
I got a surprise in Public Press. The negotiation had not only involved Austrian survival, but also Russian elimination. There was no way I could have anticipated that turn of events, especially because it didn’t look at all easy to accomplish (as Russia has already pointed out in her post).
When Russia sent messages discussing immediate collaboration in StP etc. the resulting opportunity was crystal clear.

Usually a Kingmaking threat potentially unites opposition against the soloist & there’s not much the soloist can do to prevent this strategy. If the opposition had unified in defence of Warsaw, such is life.
In actuality this Kingmaking threat further divided the opposition & was especially useful, because specifically Russia could facilitate that France got Warsaw.

I was not party to the negotiation so I don’t know what was said, threatened, agreed upon etc. The outcome was a very angry Russia who immediately helped France. Considering it was round 1 of PDL, a grateful Frenchman would always accept the invitation to dinner in Warsaw, with little persuasion.

I’d say this was opportunist, rather than any great strategic approach :D
Platinum Classicist
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
V

Standard rating: 1778
All-game rating: 1829
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby MasterGR » 18 Mar 2020, 07:03

V wrote:I got a surprise in Public Press. The negotiation had not only involved Austrian survival, but also Russian elimination. There was no way I could have anticipated that turn of events, especially because it didn’t look at all easy to accomplish (as Russia has already pointed out in her post).

Yes, I wrote previously that was mostly my "mistake". It was not an attempt at draw whittling, just a result of the lack of trust generated by the relentless IR push against AG. If IR were willing to move to stalemate France, why wait until 08 to do so, and not sooner? I basically thought that this was yet another trap, and I don't think I can be blamed for not trusting either of them when the previous year one had gotten into Trieste and the other into StP, both with French help. Ridiculous if you ask me that they decided to turn around when they did. The French momentum had been obvious for years.
Gold Classicists member
MasterGR
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1335
All-game rating: 1574
Timezone: GMT-8

Previous

Return to PDL AARs