FRANCE Pops2112 (3way DRAW)
ITALY Custer
GERMANY cairoblue (3way DRAW)
AUSTRIA bratsffl
TURKEY StarkAdder
RUSSIA PoeticDiplomat

Best Regards V
Platinum Classicist
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
V

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1774)
All-game rating: (1833)
Timezone: GMT-7

Re: Game # 203476 PDL 2022 May G1

Postby Don Juan of Austria » 23 Jun 2022, 14:27

Solid WT. Looking forward to the AARs.
"In everything, moderation". ~Aristotle
A proud member of the Whippersnappers,
Bronze Classicists,
Lancer in the PBF cavalry.

Mild Hiatus.
Don Juan of Austria

Standard rating: 1041
All-game rating: 1137
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Custer » 23 Jun 2022, 21:42

Here's my AAR. It was a lame game.

Custer
First..........get off my lawn! Second........it's a dashing self portrait! Courtesy of The Craw. Third.....I am still SHIV, Keeper of the Stone Tablets! Go Pack! And behold the power of cheese! And one more thing. Say ya to da U.P. eh!
Custer
Premium Member

Location: Sailing somewhere in Da U.P. in Da Whitehawk and an original Yooper!
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 957
All-game rating: 1175

Postby Oxmeister » 27 Jun 2022, 23:27

Having taken a break from dip, I joined this game as an early substitute for the English player who'd NRM'd out of the gate , leading the game to be reset. Being unaware of how this worked, I thought everything would be reset, but in the event, all the same players remained, and I realised that my predecessor had sent just a single message before going AWOL for the latter 3 days. Knowing that alliances may already have been formed, I knew I had my work cut out .

I felt it unrealistic to immediately come in and dislodge an FG, so I sought a Western triple which to my surprise was agreed, albeit with caution from Germany who was unsure how he'd fare in such an arrangement. I did wonder whether the two of them were just stringing me along only to jump me, but the first two seasons went as planned seeing a two build England, which is always an encouraging start.

From the outset I observed that France was the more ambitious and adventurous player, while Germany was more cautious. Both were great communicators though, and being in the same timezone, we were always able to sort out issues in good time for the deadlines. The alliance held, and we made very quick work of northern Russia, while France started to pin back Italy.

It was fairly obvious by 1902 that we were operating as a Western Triple, at which point one of the Eastern pack commented that there would be an "Eastern Quad". Even if this had of formed, it would have been a challenge rather than a showstopper, but in the event there was such little cohesion from those powers that we advanced with relative ease as Russia and Turkey fought each other ,and Austria also occasionally fought or manoeuvred against Turkey.

My main concern during the mid-game was that Turkey did not become too strong, as he was starting to benefit from Russia's demise, and it was clear from our WT discussions that he had very strong relations with France. I always thought France could either use Turkey to solo, or else he could have replaced one of me or Germany in a final draw. Turkey only really tried to work with me once I was a unit away, wanting support into Sevastapol which would have just hindered my progress there.

The alliance was tested at the end as both me and Germany pressured France to show his colours by finally moving on Turkey, which in particular caused mistrust between Germany and France. France decided to take matters into own hands by moving to the channel DMZ in the next turn under the guise of not trusting Germany to move forward to Belgium (German owned). I had pre-empted a possible French move to the channel, and had put a fleet into the Irish and army in Yorkshire just in case, but will still pretty irked to see the fleet there. Whatever France's intentions (I wondered if it was the start of an interesting solo bid, and it would be great if France could confirm), he was under pressure but not entirely backing down. In the subsequent turn I moved my entire fleet France's way, and immediately built in Liverpool with the build I gained. The fall had transformed fortunes, with France now very keen to get the draw agreed - I spoke to Germany asking what his preferred way forward was, but Germany , likely recognising that I had solo potential with my naval advantage, wanted to end the game , so I accepted the draw and the game finished at WT draw.

Thanks all for the game, I'm looking forward to the next one.

Custer wrote:Here's my AAR. It was a lame game.

Custer

I can see how you might see it this way. In the end the WT alliance held, but this was never predestined - there were bilateral (probably all 3 ways) discussions about this at times but there was never a strong enough will or opportunity for two parties to move together against the other. I was tempted in both f02 (could have done a 2 dot stab on Germany, to go from 5 to 8 , but would have isolated myself diplomatically) and s08 after I felt I'd got a good naval position against France, but in that instance didn't feel I would gain and keep support from Germany for long enough.

Also, the eastern powers, yourself included , were a big part of why the alliance held - the eastern powers fought each other when it was obvious that they should have uniting, there was no concerted effort to persuade us individually to break ranks (at least nobody ever bothered with me), Austria just gave up in ~05 and submitted holds, and why A&T didn't try a late effort to setup the 14 center SE stalemate line I will never know ; that could have forced a stab or 5way. I feel Russia probably tried but was on his own, and I also understand Turkey to some extent hoping that he could work with the WT.
Oxmeister
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1330
All-game rating: 1488
Timezone: GMT

Postby Custer » 28 Jun 2022, 17:34

Yeah, I couldn't get Austria or Turkey to help me out even though it was in their best interest.

Italian Custer
First..........get off my lawn! Second........it's a dashing self portrait! Courtesy of The Craw. Third.....I am still SHIV, Keeper of the Stone Tablets! Go Pack! And behold the power of cheese! And one more thing. Say ya to da U.P. eh!
Custer
Premium Member

Location: Sailing somewhere in Da U.P. in Da Whitehawk and an original Yooper!
Standard rating: 957
All-game rating: 1175

Postby Pops2112 » 28 Jun 2022, 18:32

I am not a big user of AARs, but since Oxmeister has done such a good summary and directed a specific question my way, I shall add that:
1. My Spring '07 move to the Channel may have been misjudged, but it was genuinely borne out of concern that I was being asked to overextend towards Turkey when I did not think that was necessary to get the WT Draw through and concern, shared by England (or so I thought at the time anyway) that Germany was the one rejecting the WT Draw proposals that were by then being made. Germany's reaction on the latter point persuaded me that he had not been blocking the Draw (although obviously I can never know for sure).
2. Also, yes I had, and was trying to maintain and develop, good relations with StarkAdder's Turkey. That added to my disinclination to go 'all out' against him unless when A/I/R were all eliminated the WT Draw proposals were still not going through. I would then have been very happy to pursue the 10-10-10-4 result that I had pitched within the WT, with proposed tactics all laid out, Turkish elimination if required, OR EVEN a shift in allegiance to F/T/+1, in which maybe I could have been more of a board leader, if the WT cracked. But those good relations with Turkey also created a feedback loop with point 1. above, because it meant I wanted Turkey to stay strong enough to come to my assistance if the WT cracked and to collect a decent haul of consolation points in PDL scoring if the WT stayed together and we pursued the Draw proposals. Reducing Turkey's dot count and therefore PDL points would have been a tactic of necessity for me only if it seemed to be required to get the WT Draw to stick.
Proud Oldie & Gold Classicist
Pops2112
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1166
All-game rating: 1153

Postby cairoblue » 29 Jun 2022, 00:19

A fair summary from the other WT members

I know what normally happens to Germany in a WT but felt it was my best option to get things started. I never expected to see it through to the end but regular, good comms continued.

I had one key decision on whether to continue with WT and turn on Russia. It was not a decision I took lightly,

Another turning point was when Austria moved away from conflict with Germany as quickly as he’d arrived on my doorstep. This allowed me to be ahead of the SC count in the WT at a time I felt at my most vulnerable.

Thanks to everyone for the game
cairoblue
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1085
All-game rating: 1086

Return to PDL AARs