Playdiplomacy League 2021

Moderator: mjparrett

Postby TTBen » 18 Dec 2020, 16:47

If you haven't read in other threads I am taking over as the primary manager for Play Diplomacy League (PDL) for 2021 but I hope to not stray too far from what was created by mjparrett and Woolgie. I've asked for their input especially as I get things set up as well as the survey of players who finished last season (I got 15 total responses). I reserve the right to adjust any rules below up until the signups deadline of 11 January 2021, but will only do so if I see a very compelling reason (glaring oversight), Mike has done a good job reminding me to not overthink things. Without further ado.....

Please sign up below.

Games

All games are to be 'standard' diplomacy on the regular v2 map, Regular press, ranked games. Draws will be allowed (No DIAS) and draws will be voted by secret ballot.
Games will be anonymous countries not anonymous players. Country allocation will be random.

Deadlines will be 2/1/1 with a finalise option. There will be no processing exceptions.

NMR 1st turn protect will be on. Games will be protected.

Games will be password protected and players will be PM'd details of each game as and when it starts. Games will not prematurely end, a game will last as long as it lasts.

Schedule

I have simplified the schedule a little bit. I wanted to do more but just ran out of time, scheduling Diplomacy is not an easy task (Happy to discuss more if you believe you are an expert). Games will begin on 5 predetermined dates with no player playing any other player more than twice. All players will play start games on the first (January 18) and last (September 6) dates. Players will be assigned 2 of the middle 3 dates (March 15, May 10, July 5). If anyone has a preference they should make this known. Adherence to preferences on scheduling cannot be guaranteed.

The schedule can be found on my Google scoring spreadsheet which I have enhanced this year:
SCORING SPREADSHEET

Whilst attempting to observe scheduling preferences, the allocation of players will be mainly random.

Players

Anyone wanting to join can join, prior to the joining deadline of 11th January 2021. Subject to the number of players joining there may be more than one division and the number of players per division may change. If it does change then the number of times you may player any other player may also change but you will only be required to play four games. (I'm looking for an optional Exhibition final table as game 5, more on that later)

Division allocation will first be based on your finishing position in the previous Playdiplomacy League, with all but the bottom three players in each division being guaranteed to start in that same division or higher. Players joining that did not participate in the previous Playdiplomacy League will be allocated to a division based on their Playdiplomacy Standard Game Rating comparative to other players joining. Players that surrendered during the previous season will only be considered after thorough explanation and at my sole discretion (if I believe it's unlikely to happen again)

Scoring

While there was some discussion of changing scoring based upon survey results there will be no significant change this year. Though I welcome Jay or anyone else to present systems in season.

Scoring will be based on soloing or participating in a draw and on the number of SCs held.

252 points shall be awarded to a soloist or shall be split equally amongst those players participating in a draw. Since 252 is not divisible by 5 in a five way draw only 250 points shall be split equally and the remaining 2 points shall be awarded to the player with the most SCs at the time of the draw. Should two players be equal they shall receive 1 point each.
Should more than 2 players be equal then no one receives the extra points.

136 points shall awarded to owners of SCs at the end of the game, 4 points per SC.

Division Managers

I am seeking someone to act as a Division Manager (For the division I wind up playing in). You would act as the neutral party for any disputes or potential conflicts of interest in my league primarily and also be a backup for setting up games should something happen that I cannot. Please nominate yourself if you are interested and you have a good and long term site standing. No one will be allowed to be Division Manager for the Division they are in.

Other Rules

Any surrenders or failure to join a game which you instructed to join will face possible elimination from the league (you will be PM'd for an explanation. Any lack of a suitable reason and you are out!) The division manager’s decision is final. The division manager is subject to change without notice.

You are allowed to provide your own substitutes during a game you have to step away from unexpectedly. Subs are the responsibility of the player and will not be sought or provided by myself or Division Manager.

Any position that is surrendered can be taken over on a first come first serve basis like what happens with regular site games. The surrender replacement is not considered part of the league but their score will be used to set a starting score for league substitutes that start the next round.

Permanent League substitutes will only be added at the start of each round. Players will inherit the AVERAGE total score of all replaced players in that league. As an example if two players from Division 2 drop out after round 1, one of them had zero points and the other had 20 points then each substitute will start round 2 with 10 points. These players will not be included for averaging to start round 3 or 4. Because some players may fail to join their next game or confirm play, substitutes may not know the exact score they will inherit until after their games start.

At the end of the "regular season" I would like to sponsor an optional Exhibition among the top players. Any player in the Top 5 of division 1 is guaranteed a spot if they want it. Additional players will be invited and added based upon the requests of these 5 players, with higher rank having priority. Should the game still not be filled I will choose who I feel most deserving. This is an exhibition that will not effect who is promoted or relegated from each league in any way. It is for bragging rights only to bring together the best so the rest of us can learn. It will take place in November and December so no hard feelings if you decline.

A minimum of three players will be promoted to the next division (except from the top division) at the end of the season. Subject to drop outs more players may be promoted.

To make room for the promoted at least 3 players will be relegated to a lower division. Relegation will first come from players that dropped out and then include players that were not included in any draws. A maximum of five players will be relegated to the next lower division (except from the lowest division) at the end of the season.

Should two players in the same division be on the same number of points then the following tie-breakers will apply:
- Most solo victories
- Most 2-way draws
- Most 3-way draws, etc.
- Highest number of SCs at end of any one game
- Highest combined number of SCs across all games featuring those tie-breaking players
- Dice roll
Last edited by TTBen on 22 Dec 2020, 19:06, edited 1 time in total.
Inactive PbF GM (choosing to focus on other things)
Organizer for PDL 2021
TTBen
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1123
All-game rating: 1739
Timezone: GMT-6

Re: Playdiplomacy League 2021

Postby TTBen » 18 Dec 2020, 16:49

Players:

Division 1 Returning:
1. TTBen
2. Iamnobody (earned promotion from D2)
3. Audacia [preference to sit March]
4. Czar99 (earned promotion from D2) [preference to sit July]
5. Latanst (earned promotion from D2)
6. Guns of Brixton
7. Stark Adder
8. Another
9. Mjparrett
10. Charleroi
11. JoeHoya06 (earned promotion from D2)
12. Tortelacci (***pending***)

***Returning players may still join until Jan 11th***

Division 2 Returning:
1. Woolgie
2. Verse9
3. Custer
4. Todiefor
5. GeoViBase (may promote to D1 depending on returners)
6. PippiLangKous
7. Josey Wales
8. Steff
9. Pete the Great
10. Diophantus22

***Returning players may still join until Jan 11th***

New Players (Division TBD)
1. Pops2112 [preference to sit July]
2. With_an_h
3. Makleveh
4. gunboat433
5. jdt36
6. bard parker
7. sroca
8. Oxmeister
9. BigBert
10. Badger1991
11. IvarGizteb
12. davey48016
13. pgrobison
14. Machor
15. IcomeinPeaceMaybe
16. PoeticDiplomat
17. Mightyduk
18. senorziegler
19. TheSlyHunter
20. Ublcomish12
21. Bravo Papa Alpha
22. Chairpusher

***Players listed under "new" players are not guaranteed a spot until the January 11th deadline for returning players to sign up***
Last edited by TTBen on 09 Jan 2021, 15:01, edited 29 times in total.
Inactive PbF GM (choosing to focus on other things)
Organizer for PDL 2021
TTBen
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1123
All-game rating: 1739

Postby Pops2112 » 18 Dec 2020, 17:41

Please put me in as a New PDL Player for 2021.

Slight date preference not to play in a July-start game.
Proud Oldie & Gold Classicist
Pops2112
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1093
All-game rating: 1077
Timezone: GMT

Postby Iamnobody » 18 Dec 2020, 17:44

Go ahead and put me down as a returning player. I think I'm in the first division next year, but I'm not 100% certain.
Heptarchy XVI - Wales - 6-way draw winner
Days of Enlightenment II - Sweden - 8-way draw winner
Blitzkrieg 4 - UK - Survivor
Iamnobody

Standard rating: 1056
All-game rating: 1072

Postby Audacia » 18 Dec 2020, 17:48

Please put me down as a returning player, D1. Thanks. Audacia
Gold Classicist
Audacia

Standard rating: 1015
All-game rating: 988
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Woolgie » 18 Dec 2020, 18:00

I am returning, or have returned, or shall be returning. Darn these infernal temporal tenses. Please put me down.
I ran Play Diplomacy League for a time and then I set it free
Redesigning my Star Wars variant
Still proud of my solo in Versailles Fog Chaos
WDC 2020 38th place
Woolgie
Premium Member

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: 1028
All-game rating: 920
Timezone: GMT

Postby Verse9 » 18 Dec 2020, 20:49

Please sign me up. Thanks Verse9
Verse9
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1225
All-game rating: 1247

Postby with_an_h » 18 Dec 2020, 23:04

Please sign me up too. I'm a new PDL player.

Thanks!
with_an_h

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1512
All-game rating: 1523

Postby Custer » 19 Dec 2020, 02:21

You know I'm in.......

Very professional. Excellent presentation. I've read less when buying a house.

Well, actually, I can't read. Shhhhh.....don't tell anybody.

8-)

Custer
First..........get off my lawn! Second........it's a dashing self portrait! Courtesy of The Craw. Third.....I am still SHIV, Keeper of the Stone Tablets! Go Pack! And behold the power of cheese! And one more thing. Say ya to da U.P. eh!
Custer
Premium Member

Location: Sailing somewhere in Da U.P. in Da Whitehawk and an original Yooper!
Standard rating: 1013
All-game rating: 1263

Postby Audacia » 19 Dec 2020, 03:06

Custer wrote:You know I'm in.......

Well, actually, I can't read. Shhhhh.....don't tell anybody.

Hey, don't fess up we Yoopers can't read. They'll think we're ignorant ;) . All you gotta' do is slam the text in Word, and let the autovoice read to you. That's why live games are so very hard for me, Custer :o .
Gold Classicist
Audacia

Standard rating: 1015
All-game rating: 988

Next

Return to PDL Members and Signups