PDL 2021 Commentary

A PlayDiplomacy competitive league

Moderator: mjparrett

Re: PDL 2021 Commentary

Postby with_an_h » 05 Apr 2021, 21:15

Thanks for the compliment! I didn't realize Italy is so favored in high-level play. That's useful to know. I answer some of your questions in my (admittedly long) AAR (https://playdiplomacy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=820&t=61741) in my self-defined 4th-6th phases of the game.

How were the other players not mashing the "Propose Draw" button every turn? And more importantly, how was Italy able to convince Germany not to stab even though Italy never accepted any of the 2way proposals that did go out? How big was Turkey's involvement in punishing Germany for trying not to include Turkey in the draw?

There's some additional context required to understand the lack of draw proposals. In the first few turns of our alliance, I executed a "Lepanslow" (1908 convoy from Trieste to Syria) as a delaying maneuver that, because it annoyed Turkey, also tilted our goals towards a G/I 2-way (we were between a 3 and 2-way before). At that point, Germany and I agreed to go to 13 each and then reevaluate whether we trusted each other enough to go further. Later, Germany decided that we could go to 16 each before drawing.

Earlier in the game, I had proposed a 4-way draw that Russia unilaterally turned down (and contributed to Germany's stab on him). So when a new draw popped up from Turkey, Germany and I ended up agreeing it was better to ignore it and keep moving forward to our goal to avoid any drama. At this point, I was still fully on board with the 2-way result, despite an initial Turkish attempt to play us against each other by offering to throw. My main threat this entire time was that if one of us stabbed, it would just become a 3-way draw, which seemed to keep him in line despite being the senior partner in the alliance. I was also nervous enough from the anti-Italian alliance that I wouldn't consider stabbing unless it was likely to net me the game.

Germany gave up on seriously talking with Turkey, who then decided that he would throw to me in 1911 because of Germany's lack of effort in communicating (not sure if this was the actual reason, but I believed it). I spent a few turns asking him to act out a scripted set of moves before having him throw to me on the same turn we convoyed France from St. Petersburg to Syria (the meme convoy was also a useful diplomatic tool during this game).
with_an_h

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1512
All-game rating: 1523
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Oxmeister » 09 Apr 2021, 22:05

Impressive win with_an_h, in what looked like a very well managed endgame.

jay65536 wrote:it happened in a game that was open ballot noDIAS.

you're a big fan of this setting, no ?
Oxmeister
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1324
All-game rating: 1492
Timezone: GMT

Postby jay65536 » 10 Apr 2021, 00:17

Are you being facetious? I hate open ballot noDIAS—precisely because it makes it harder to win. But when someone does solo in that setting it seems to me like even more of an accomplishment than soloing a different kind of game.
jay65536

Standard rating: 1120
All-game rating: 1126

Postby DocPaZ » 10 Apr 2021, 03:42

Similar positions in the two current D1 games.

Fun to glance at the shoutboxes.

Congratulations H on the only solo first round.

DocPaZ
DocPaZ

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1668
All-game rating: 1694
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby with_an_h » 15 Apr 2021, 22:27

Any thoughts on the March games so far? Some interesting early game strategies, some of which worked and others of which didn't.

I'm interested in hearing how the early game played out in PDL D2 Mar G1. The board looks like there's been some crazy behind-the-scenes diplomacy. I'm curious to see what happens next.

Interesting how at this point in the first round, FR was a clearly dominant alliance in half the games, whereas that doesn't seem to be the case in this set of games.

with_an_h
with_an_h

Standard rating: 1512
All-game rating: 1523

Postby Makleveh » 17 Apr 2021, 00:06

As a participant in MAR D2G1, I'm excited for the AAR as well.
Makleveh

Standard rating: 1179
All-game rating: 1182

Postby Oxmeister » 17 Apr 2021, 00:55

jay65536 wrote:Are you being facetious? I hate open ballot noDIAS—precisely because it makes it harder to win. But when someone does solo in that setting it seems to me like even more of an accomplishment than soloing a different kind of game.

Apologies, I was being facetious . I've always liked open ballot because it adds a political aspect to the game , but I do see your point about secret ballot making a solo more likely.
Oxmeister
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1324
All-game rating: 1492
Timezone: GMT

Postby jay65536 » 17 Apr 2021, 04:17

Oxmeister wrote:
jay65536 wrote:Are you being facetious? I hate open ballot noDIAS—precisely because it makes it harder to win. But when someone does solo in that setting it seems to me like even more of an accomplishment than soloing a different kind of game.

Apologies, I was being facetious . I've always liked open ballot because it adds a political aspect to the game , but I do see your point about secret ballot making a solo more likely.

It's not open ballot that I dislike per se; it's the combination of open ballot and noDIAS. Open ballot with DIAS I'm totally happy with!

What do you think open ballot adds "politically" that's not there with secret ballot?
jay65536

Standard rating: 1120
All-game rating: 1126

Postby Pete the Great » 17 Apr 2021, 22:36

D2 March G1 just finished in 1905 with a 3 way.
Pete the Great
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1134
All-game rating: 1148

Postby DocPaZ » 20 Apr 2021, 15:17

Looks like the AAR to the D2 G1 is coming along: viewtopic.php?f=51&t=61769&p=1022344&hilit=pdl#p1022344

The two D1 Games continue evolving along a similar path.

Early, both games featured:
Emerging F/G alliances
Strong play from the Italians

Unlike January’s D1G1 (AAR: viewtopic.php?f=820&t=61708) the F/G alliances have stalled in the NW long enough for England to retain hold - allowing the SE to take the initiative.

In D1G1 (https://www.playdiplomacy.com/game_play ... _id=192004), Italy has allied with Austria to eliminate the Turks, who have worked as a janissary for the A/T alliance.

In D1G2 (https://www.playdiplomacy.com/game_play ... _id=192207), which is roughly a year behind G1, Italy has allied with the Turks to eliminate the Austrians.

In both games - Munich has fallen to the Italians. F/G/E are now forced to call off hostilities to rally in order to hold off the SE advance.

Will they? Or → will France be convinced to join a southern 3 alliance as they all push North?

A key distinction is the Russian position. In G1, Russia has been reduced to 2 units. In G2, you can see the slimy blue path (in the sweetest sense of the phrase) of a keyhole maneuver from Armenia through Sev toward Munich. Russia retains 5 units in that one.

Will Turkey make good on my assumed promise to vacate Rum and/or Budapest? Or → will I/T drop him to 2 units this year (further continuing the parallel storylines) ? ?

Fun to watch.

DocPaZ
DocPaZ

Standard rating: 1668
All-game rating: 1694
Timezone: GMT-6

PreviousNext

Return to PlayDip Diplomacy League