PDL 2020 Viewers Lounge

A PlayDiplomacy competitive league

Moderator: mjparrett

Re: PDL 2020 Viewers Lounge

Postby MasterGR » 30 Oct 2020, 20:19

TTBen, not sure if you were trying to write something there?

Congrats to another, an unexpected first place since you joined the league midway, and to me also because I have never played with you! I did my math regarding winning the league and while V was first I needed 19 centers, but once you came on top it became near impossible! I think I had a 30% chance of winning the solo (not the league) had I continued it, and I also had a great opportunity mid game which I messed up, but I got pretty fatigued from the league and from playing for more than a year continuously (13 games with a 2 week break!) so I thought I’d agree to the draw and take it easy!
Gold Classicists member
MasterGR

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1372
All-game rating: 1725
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Woolgie » 30 Oct 2020, 22:26

Congratulations to Another. I and TTBen will write up the results once all games have finished and be awarding several prizes. There are still two active games in D2.

As for a top table there won’t officially be one as the rules don’t allow it, but of course if people want one there can be one purely for interest and entertainment.

Finally, there will also be a feedback period (please wait for the post) to see what changes could happen for next year, and then before the end of November sign ups for 2021 will open.
I ran Play Diplomacy League for a time and then I set it free
Redesigning my Star Wars variant
Still proud of my solo in Versailles Fog Chaos
WDC 2020 38th place
Woolgie
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1058
All-game rating: 948
Timezone: GMT

Postby MasterGR » 30 Oct 2020, 23:46

Woolgie wrote:Congratulations to Another. I and TTBen will write up the results once all games have finished and be awarding several prizes. There are still two active games in D2.

As for a top table there won’t officially be one as the rules don’t allow it, but of course if people want one there can be one purely for interest and entertainment.

Finally, there will also be a feedback period (please wait for the post) to see what changes could happen for next year, and then before the end of November sign ups for 2021 will open.

Any prizes for 7th place or for finishing on top in two games? :lol: My position may not reflect it but I worked really hard for it!

And by the way, thanks to both Woolgie and TTBen for an excellent organization! It was a humongous task, and you guys did amazing!

I’ll also be looking forward to sharing my thoughts in the feedback section.
Gold Classicists member
MasterGR

Standard rating: 1372
All-game rating: 1725
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Audacia » 01 Nov 2020, 15:32

Congratulations another! Looking forward to playing with you and others in PDL 2021! :D
Audacia
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1015
All-game rating: 1000
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Groo » 02 Nov 2020, 14:25

Congraz, Another!

It was my first PDL and there were some high-quality games indeed. Thanks everyone for playing and organizers for making it possible!

MasterGR wrote:Any prizes for 7th place or for finishing on top in two games? :lol: My position may not reflect it but I worked really hard for it!

And by the way, thanks to both Woolgie and TTBen for an excellent organization! It was a humongous task, and you guys did amazing!

I’ll also be looking forward to sharing my thoughts in the feedback section.

Ha! Tell me about it, I'm still sweating from all the hard work even though my last game ended weeks ago.

And how about a prize for zero losses? :P (to be fair the Italy game should have been a loss though :oops: )
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need."

Cornubia in Heptarchy 14 - 3WD
Front Range in Emergence - 3WD
Holland in Colonial 7 - 3WD
House Baratheon in Diplomacy of Ice and Fire - Mad King SOLO
Mexico in WiTA 7 - stabbed to death
Thebes in Greek City States IV
Groo

Standard rating: (1612)
All-game rating: (1880)

Postby jay65536 » 02 Nov 2020, 17:58

another wrote:So will the organisers of PDL also set up the "top table" showdown? There's been some discussion about invitation criteria, etc., so I think it needs someone to make a decision. Or is it better if someone else (Jay?) steps up to organise that?

I'm just a dedicated observer, not involved in the league as a player or admin, so I would be very hesitant about trying to put forth my opinion about invitation criteria for a top board--even an unofficial one. However, if you guys can decide who should play, and you want to run it in a similar fashion to a FtF top board, I would be happy to facilitate the Paris Method, as I said earlier. (You would have to agree to a completely non-anonymous game to make that work, though.)
jay65536

Standard rating: (1120)
All-game rating: (1126)

Postby TTBen » 02 Nov 2020, 19:55

I'm not sure what happened to my last message but most of it has been said by others anyway. My one remaining suggestion....

If there is an unofficial invite only exhibition game then Another should determine who is invited since he was the one who finished on top.
Inactive PbF GM (choosing to focus on other things)
Organizer for PDL 2021
TTBen
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1123
All-game rating: 1773
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Audacia » 02 Nov 2020, 20:45

Groo wrote:... (to be fair the Italy game should have been a loss though :oops: )

That was a draw, Groo. Don't sweat it. It was fun playing with you. ;)
Audacia
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1015
All-game rating: 1000

Postby another » 04 Nov 2020, 00:56

Thanks to Woolgie and TTBen for organising this league and all the efforts they've had to put in to find replacements (me including!) for drop-outs, and everything else they've needed to sort out for this to run so smoothly!

It was my first participation in PDL, and I did feel exhausted towards the end of the tournament... I usually play around 1 game of diplomacy per year, so playing 4 this year (I played another game before PDL) seemed quite a lot. And to think some people manage to squeeze 10+ games a year... Then again - I now have the perfect motivation to participate next year, and I also feel quite up for the top table exhibition game. The greatest thing about this tournament is the high level of play and commitment from the participants, so the top table could push it up even a notch higher!

What I think the rules should be:
- the result of the game has no impact on PDL (whether standings or promotions / demotions), but it does give its winner certain bragging rights. It could be called PDCS (for PlayDiplomacy Community Shield).
- the participants are selected by a ranked invitation process - first 7 players on a list get invited, and if any declines, the next person gets invited until there are 7 players who have accepted
- I believe the list ranking should be (in this order):
A. Highest ranking players in PDL D1 who have soloed.
B. Highest ranking players in PDL D2 who have soloed.
C. A mixture of highest ranking (ignoring their points, as those are not comparable across the divisions I think) players in PDL D1 and PDL D2 who have not soloed (with "higher" coefficients given to PDL 1 rather than PDL 2*)
- For me personally - the game can start from mid November / early December

* - what the difference is, I'm not sure, but my thinking is that say PDL 2 2nd place should be higher on the list than say PDL 10th place. I'm sure there is some elegant way to achieve this?
another
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1399
All-game rating: 1502

Postby Custer » 04 Nov 2020, 01:18

Wow, I guess I am crazy. I keep a running tally of 5 games going 24/7. Maybe that explains the booze, the cigs, the trips to the counselor, and the occasional arrest.

:twisted:

Custer
First..........get off my lawn! Second........it's a dashing self portrait! Courtesy of The Craw. Third.....I am still SHIV, Keeper of the Stone Tablets! Go Pack! And behold the power of cheese! And one more thing. Say ya to da U.P. eh!
Custer
Premium Member

Location: Sailing somewhere in Da U.P. in Da Whitehawk and an original Yooper!
Standard rating: 1033
All-game rating: 1127
Timezone: GMT-6

PreviousNext

Return to PlayDip Diplomacy League