PDL 2020 Viewers Lounge

A PlayDiplomacy competitive league

Moderator: mjparrett

Re: PDL 2020 Viewers Lounge

Postby Audacia » 13 Oct 2020, 01:00

It was a pleasure playing with all the players in the game (I played Turkey), but for V I have the most incredible respect and affection. This was my first PDL game and I knew I needed to leave a big fish at the door of my chosen ally to gain some respect and find a partner in these shark infested waters. My apology to Austria for him having to be this feline's victim in 1901.

Not the stuff of a grubby solo, clawing over everyone's backs, alliances shifting just for One More Center! But a lasting mutual respect of beautiful people. Whom chance tossed down next to one another. Not a vassal, but a partner. Sacrificing for the alliance I chose to enter into and maintain. My choice.

I know extreme solo-lust does not appreciate the satisfaction that a true and lasting alliance can have. But the game does not belong in the hands of any one player. And rare though it is in a game, set aside PDL, I took the risk and did not let the naysayers sway my decision. Period.

And V was beyond incredible. A wonderfully satisfying game for me. Thank your so much V. You know I don't even have the words to express for your fidelity to our alliance. The most incredible Virtus of any player I have had honour of playing with in any game on PDO. Bravo.

He's currently leading the league so he clearly is doing something right, right? And in this game he managed to get from the rather poor situation in 1901 to being the board leader in a few short years, manipulating Turkey from his incredibly powerful position into being a Russian vassal in the process.

Thank you for the game, hedge trimmer. BTW, that His was Her...The Sultana Audacia.
Last edited by Audacia on 14 Oct 2020, 23:49, edited 1 time in total.
Resplendent and unfading is wisdom,
and she is readily perceived by those who love her,
and found by those who seek her.
She hastens to make herself known in anticipation of their desire;
Whoever watches for her at dawn shall not be disappointed,
for he shall find her sitting by his gate.
Audacia
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1015
All-game rating: 1000
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby another » 13 Oct 2020, 16:02

hedge trimmer wrote:Maybe I should've written something about 179971. PDL D1 July B, where I managed to finish with a solo as Italy. Not something I expected when I saw which country I was assigned. In 1901 Austria was VERY suspicious of me, so I thought it would be a rough game for me, but somehow we managed to build a very long lasting alliance... well until my betrayal, I suppose. I expected him to stab me at some point too, but maybe I misread him because of his suspicions in 1901? The game also had one of the most lively public press I've seen in any game, for better or worse.
You should definitely start an AAR thread for the "Anonymous Press" game (I think the etiquette requires you to do that)! There were a few questions I wanted to raise about it. But at least from my perspective, it didn't appear like you actually stabbed Austria - the solo was there for the taking. I obviously don't know what you had agreed with him, but at least on the map, Austria hadn't done anything to stop your solo. It was clear quite early on that you are able to force it through (once it became clear Germany will not attempt to stop you), and I sent this to you in S1912
=======From FRANCE Spring 1912 Orders =======
Hmm, I think I can congratulate you on the solo, right?

hedge trimmer wrote:I don't like the game at all
Is that about this particular game or about diplomacy in general?
another
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1399
All-game rating: 1414
Timezone: GMT

Postby another » 13 Oct 2020, 16:23

V wrote:
hedge trimmer wrote:Be as it may, I hope I don't have to play with him again, two games is way more than enough.

I don’t usually respond to crap like this, but it was a gem. I sent him 3 messages in the entire game. THREE
They were all totally innocuous as well. However big bad V writes such nasty stuff. Stunning. Go back to your hedges.

Could it be he was referring to the other game you played? I wasn't part of it, but a quick look suggests you must have had some misunderstandings in the Mediterranean.
another
Premium Member

Postby MasterGR » 14 Oct 2020, 07:54

Wow, hard to believe that PDL D1 Sep C ended in a 6-way draw, and that England and Italy made it to that draw (see Groo, I was telling you about karma at some point, it paid off for you sharing that draw with me :lol:)! Draw whittling is one thing, a 6-way draw is another! Certainly an interesting finale for this roster.
Gold Classicists member
MasterGR
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1372
All-game rating: 1703
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Groo » 14 Oct 2020, 10:16

MasterGR wrote:Wow, hard to believe that PDL D1 Sep C ended in a 6-way draw, and that England and Italy made it to that draw (see Groo, I was telling you about karma at some point, it paid off for you sharing that draw with me :lol:)! Draw whittling is one thing, a 6-way draw is another! Certainly an interesting finale for this roster.

Yeah I was more than happy to squeeze in. You were spot on :D

It was another game where V ended up as my opposition even though I worked hard to make it otherwise. A game well played by T and R, plus poor play by A which left me as Italy really not much choice but to hang in there. I'm glad everyone accepted that draw, I was sure it wouldn't go through.
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need."

Cornubia in Heptarchy 14 - 3WD
Front Range in Emergence - 3WD
Holland in Colonial 7 - 3WD
House Baratheon in Diplomacy of Ice and Fire - Mad King SOLO
Mexico in WiTA 7 - stabbed to death
Thebes in Greek City States IV
Groo

Standard rating: 1612
All-game rating: 1880

Postby Audacia » 14 Oct 2020, 11:09

Wow, Groo. I can't tell you how good it makes me feel to know you think I played well. I'm so grateful for the kind word. You have no idea how badly I've needed to hear something like that for affirmation on PDO. Thank you.

So we can come to closure on this thing, I've posted the AAR thread, and offered the Ottoman perspective: PDL 2020 Division 1 Sept C AAR
Resplendent and unfading is wisdom,
and she is readily perceived by those who love her,
and found by those who seek her.
She hastens to make herself known in anticipation of their desire;
Whoever watches for her at dawn shall not be disappointed,
for he shall find her sitting by his gate.
Audacia
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1015
All-game rating: 1000

Postby Groo » 14 Oct 2020, 21:42

Audacia wrote:Wow, Groo. I can't tell you how good it makes me feel to know you think I played well. I'm so grateful for the kind word. You have no idea how badly I've needed to hear something like that for affirmation on PDO. Thank you.

So we can come to closure on this thing, I've posted the AAR thread, and offered the Ottoman perspective: PDL 2020 Division 1 Sept C AAR

It was a very solid jugg, it's not as easy to pull it off as some think it may be.
I was in the middle of writing you back in DM...thirce. I never got the time to finish it. I'll reply to you, hopefully soon. And I'll gladly share my thoughts in the AAR.

Groo

Postby Groo » 14 Oct 2020, 22:25

On a different note, are you guys interested in playing the final board with top 7 players?

It could be a norank casual game, starting in the middle of January (I read V isn't playing soon and I'm taking a break as well), but it could be a competitive one.
We could have some sort of a tournament finals like on worlds (with a tournament draw in which the last player picks first and the final points are added to league points). We could test Jay's VS standard PDL scoring in it as well.

I understand I might not end up getting in, but I'd like to see it happen in which case I'd be happy to (help) organize it. The question is of course do the potential players and viewers like the idea?

Groo

Postby another » 14 Oct 2020, 22:34

Groo wrote:On a different note, are you guys interested in playing the final board with top 7 players?

It could be a norank casual game, starting in the middle of January (I read V isn't playing soon and I'm taking a break as well), but it could be a competitive one.
We could have some sort of a tournament finals like on worlds (with a tournament draw in which the last player picks first and the final points are added to league points). We could test Jay's VS standard PDL scoring in it as well.

I understand I might not end up getting in, but I'd like to see it happen in which case I'd be happy to (help) organize it. The question is of course do the potential players and viewers like the idea?

Ha, I was just about to suggest something similar. My thoughts were - a top table of all the soloed players (so also Czar99 from div 2) plus the next highest ranking player (as currently there are only 6 solos) fight it out for the PDCup. I'd think it should be rank, but it shouldn't affect any PDL standings. One is a league, the other a cup :) For me personally - ideally starting in december (as more time with holidays).
another
Premium Member

Postby jay65536 » 15 Oct 2020, 03:13

Groo wrote:On a different note, are you guys interested in playing the final board with top 7 players?

Since you brought me up...

-If you are referring to the Paris Method that they run at WDC, that is not “last player picks first”. It’s slightly more complex. If you guys want to play an unofficial “top board”, I’d be happy to moderate a Paris Method for it, unless of course someone else involved already knows how to run it. (Also this assumes no anonymity for the top board?)

-Top boards are self-contained: whoever tops the board wins. As such, testing scoring systems is a bit “empty”—it just degenerates into “get the most centers”.

-That six-way draw is a REAL nice little test case for both the standard system and the alt-scores! When the other two September games wrap up I’ll talk about it then...
jay65536

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1120)
All-game rating: (1126)

PreviousNext

Return to PlayDip Diplomacy League