PDL 2020 Viewers Lounge

A PlayDiplomacy competitive league

Moderator: mjparrett

Re: PDL 2020 Viewers Lounge

Postby Groo » 15 Oct 2020, 08:15

Yup, I meant something like an unofficial top board for each division with the Paris Method. It would not be anonymous but hey top 7 all got to know each other already and I think it could be a high quality game.

I thought the WDC Champion isn't the one who tops the final board but has the highest score overall, sorry I lack the experience in that regard.
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need."

Cornubia in Heptarchy 14 - 3WD
Front Range in Emergence - 3WD
Holland in Colonial 7 - 3WD
House Baratheon in Diplomacy of Ice and Fire - Mad King SOLO
Mexico in WiTA 7 - stabbed to death
Thebes in Greek City States IV
Groo

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1612)
All-game rating: (1880)
Timezone: GMT

Postby jay65536 » 15 Oct 2020, 16:43

Each tournament that hosts WDC is allowed to do it however they want, but at the ones I’ve been at or heard of that used a top board, the top board plays as one game. After the first phase of the Paris Method, your prior standing means nothing. This is to discourage metagaming and have the top board play as a single, “pure” competitive game.

And I agree the games shouldn’t need to be anonymous. (As a FtF player at heart, I am not a fan of anonymity anyway.)
jay65536

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1120)
All-game rating: (1126)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Czar99 » 15 Oct 2020, 20:12

I'll chime in about being interested in a top board game later this year either within or across the divisions depending on the level of interest. It may be difficult to get 7 players from each division to participate but that can be figured out once all of the games are finished. I also agree that the games don't need to be anonymous and typically play FtF myself.

My last game in D2 just finished and also want to thank the organizers for all of the efforts in putting this together! The dropouts were frustrating at times but you did a great job of plugging in replacements and keeping it going throughout the year!
"Everyone needs a good ally"
Crill on Nexus and vF2F
Czar99
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1284
All-game rating: 1446
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby MasterGR » 15 Oct 2020, 21:07

Groo wrote:On a different note, are you guys interested in playing the final board with top 7 players?

It could be a norank casual game, starting in the middle of January (I read V isn't playing soon and I'm taking a break as well), but it could be a competitive one.
We could have some sort of a tournament finals like on worlds (with a tournament draw in which the last player picks first and the final points are added to league points). We could test Jay's VS standard PDL scoring in it as well.

I understand I might not end up getting in, but I'd like to see it happen in which case I'd be happy to (help) organize it. The question is of course do the potential players and viewers like the idea?

Sure, I’d be down for that assuming I finish in the top 7! Should be a fun game.
Gold Classicists member
MasterGR
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1352
All-game rating: 1782
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Custer » 15 Oct 2020, 23:15

Isn't there a final board with the top 7 already?

Custer
First..........get off my lawn! Second........it's a dashing self portrait! Courtesy of The Craw. Third.....I am still SHIV, Keeper of the Stone Tablets! Go Pack! And behold the power of cheese! And one more thing. Say ya to da U.P. eh!
Custer
Premium Member

Location: Sailing somewhere in Da U.P. in Da Whitehawk and an original Yooper!
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1019
All-game rating: 1230
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby TTBen » 15 Oct 2020, 23:41

If it doesn't happen this year I think it's something that should be a planned part of the league next season.
Inactive PbF GM (choosing to focus on other things)
Organizer for PDL 2021
TTBen
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1111
All-game rating: 1716

Postby another » 15 Oct 2020, 23:54

My personal opinion: this should be organised for December, so it is finished before the new season begins, and should be invitation based as per TBC*, and if someone declines, then the next person in line gets the invitation, until you have 7 participants. I'd do it as standard (not anonymous countries) and random country assignment.

* how you select the players - that is up for debate. I'd say - if you have soloed, you're straight on the list (irrespective of the division), and after that perhaps your place (rather than points) with division 1 getting 1.5 coefficients vs. div 2? e.g. div1 1st, div 1 2nd, div 1 3rd, div 2 1st, div 1 4th, div 2 2nd, etc.
another

Standard rating: 1498
All-game rating: 1601

Postby V » 16 Oct 2020, 00:31

TTBen wrote:If it doesn't happen this year I think it's something that should be a planned part of the league next season.

To whoever writes the rules ready for sign ups ahead of PDL2021, I think this kind of aspect is very important if it’s to be included as a “planned part of the league”. PDL is great because it has structure & rules that are to be followed for the season ahead. Everyone knows what they are trying to achieve & how it can be accomplished.
The flip side of that is the commitment required to see it to completion is quite great for many & although there are lots of flakes & quitters (as we see all too often) some prefer to decline up front rather than fail to meet a commitment.
Just as an example if PDL ever starts a 2/1/1 game after early September, that’s already too much for me to sign up for in January. There’s every chance such a game could persist into the subsequent year & I’m not committing to that. Equally I like to play only one PDL game at a time (with as minimal overlap as necessary). If 5 games are anticipated in a year, I just don’t see them fitting unless played faster (maybe 1/1/1) & I would hesitate in dedicating that much time to playing Diplomacy in a year.
None of this is a problem because those unable to make the commitment just don’t join ready for the January kick off, however those organising the rules for the year ahead need to consider how much they are expecting of participants.
I seem to remember Woolgie doing a quick survey & analysis of what folks were comfortable with, ahead of designing the PDL2020 structure, which I believe has contributed to the aspect we will actually finish this season, whereas PDL2018 was abandoned prematurely due to excessive quitters.

Just my 2 cents & hope it helps future planning,
Best Regards V
Platinum Classicist
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
V

Standard rating: 1769
All-game rating: 1827
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby TTBen » 16 Oct 2020, 03:18

V wrote:
TTBen wrote:If it doesn't happen this year I think it's something that should be a planned part of the league next season.

To whoever writes the rules ready for sign ups ahead of PDL2021, I think this kind of aspect is very important if it’s to be included as a “planned part of the league”. PDL is great because it has structure & rules that are to be followed for the season ahead. Everyone knows what they are trying to achieve & how it can be accomplished.
The flip side of that is the commitment required to see it to completion is quite great for many & although there are lots of flakes & quitters (as we see all too often) some prefer to decline up front rather than fail to meet a commitment.
Just as an example if PDL ever starts a 2/1/1 game after early September, that’s already too much for me to sign up for in January. There’s every chance such a game could persist into the subsequent year & I’m not committing to that. Equally I like to play only one PDL game at a time (with as minimal overlap as necessary). If 5 games are anticipated in a year, I just don’t see them fitting unless played faster (maybe 1/1/1) & I would hesitate in dedicating that much time to playing Diplomacy in a year.
None of this is a problem because those unable to make the commitment just don’t join ready for the January kick off, however those organising the rules for the year ahead need to consider how much they are expecting of participants.
I seem to remember Woolgie doing a quick survey & analysis of what folks were comfortable with, ahead of designing the PDL2020 structure, which I believe has contributed to the aspect we will actually finish this season, whereas PDL2018 was abandoned prematurely due to excessive quitters.

Just my 2 cents & hope it helps future planning,
Best Regards V

Absolutely agree with what's being said here. It's important not to just set rules based on what a few people might want. I was in no way trying to imply there was anything at all wrong with the current format, happy it has played out to completion. I would love to see a competition of the best at the end of the year just for the fun of watching it though.
Inactive PbF GM (choosing to focus on other things)
Organizer for PDL 2021
TTBen
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1111
All-game rating: 1716

Postby another » 16 Oct 2020, 10:05

TTBen wrote:Absolutely agree with what's being said here. It's important not to just set rules based on what a few people might want. I was in no way trying to imply there was anything at all wrong with the current format, happy it has played out to completion. I would love to see a competition of the best at the end of the year just for the fun of watching it though.

I fully agree to what V wrote. That's why it is important that whatever happens to the "top table" game, it doesn't affect the PDL (as in - it is a stand-alone separate competition, the outcome doesn't affect PDL standings, and why I think the ranked invitation works - who isn't up for it can decline without any repercussions). Maybe have it as 1/1/1? (Though that might rule myself out, but if it is better for everyone else, then great.)
another

Standard rating: 1498
All-game rating: 1601

PreviousNext

Return to PlayDip Diplomacy League