PDL - take two?

A PlayDiplomacy competitive league

Moderator: mjparrett

PDL - take two?

Postby mjparrett » 12 Jun 2019, 17:40

Hi all

I've been mulling this over for a month or two now... I'm really annoyed PDL just died when it did. It was by no means perfect, but had potential.

The question is, would anyone be keen on seeing it appear again?

For those of you reading this thread not knowing what I am on about... the PlayDip Diplomacy League (PDL) was designed to encourage games where you are playing similar standard players, with the "excitement" of promotion/relegation and tournament winners. It was hindered for a few reasons, the main two being I was playing as well as admin (so some conflict of interest, as well as effort of getting everything sorted), and resignations/people dropping out.

There were a few other things that caused some debate on the forum, such as scoring system, but nothing too major. And certainly nothing that cannot be overcome with a little bit of democracy/tyranny :D

So, who would be interested? And if you were a participant last year, what would be the one thing you would change?

Cheers
Mike
mjparrett

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1488
All-game rating: 1524
Timezone: GMT

Re: PDL - take two?

Postby V » 12 Jun 2019, 18:21

Mike,

Predictably I’m up for it. PDL was the best thing on this site for many years!
Changes? Just one thing for me. Quitters!
The process has to be automated. No more searching for a replacement every time someone has a tantrum.
30% last time in just 3 games, out of the planned 4 game season!

Suggestion;
When you sign up, you commit to playing in the next league level above at any time (simultaneous games if necessary) if you are the most senior player in that league at the time of the surrender. It earns you automatic promotion because the quitter is eliminated.
Of course there would be a chain effect filling the vacancy in the lower leagues caused by the promotion. The same mechanism can be used each time.
The only remaining problem would be in the lowest league & I suggest if vacancies cannot be immediately filled there from a back up list, then the next round of games in that league only, gets postponed until compliment is reached.

It would mean that replacements are found in hours & there is no debate who! Mike’s verdict being final:-)
Any wrinkles this causes to the subsequent end of season relegation can be ironed out. We almost had that sorted last time, before the league got abandoned.

One further comment. It’s already June, so a bit tricky to get a full season into 2019. Don’t know what timings you envisaged but a lengthy detailed preparation leading to play starting in January for the 2020 season looks great to me.
PS. Your scoring system was great, so ignore the naysayers!

Cheers V
Platinum Classicist
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
V

Standard rating: 1718
All-game rating: 1754
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby Don Juan of Austria » 12 Jun 2019, 18:32

I am of course interested, but I don't think I can commit at this time. I'll clap for the rest of you all though. :)
"In everything, moderation". ~Aristotle
A proud member of the Whippersnappers,
Bronze Classicists,
Lancer in the PBF cavalry.

Ireland in Heptarchy 16!
Don Juan of Toledo in Diplomacy for Dukes and Popes!
Don Juan of Austria

Standard rating: (1047)
All-game rating: (1160)
Timezone: GMT+2

Postby jay65536 » 12 Jun 2019, 18:45

As I said the first time, I think this is a great idea, and if you get it back up and running I will probably observe all the games again, but I can't commit to playing multiple games (unlike last year I could commit to one, but still not several).
jay65536

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1120
All-game rating: 1126
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby mjparrett » 12 Jun 2019, 19:02

i envisage this starting in 2020 - a nice build up to whet the appetite and a chance to iron out any wrinkles. There will be very limited multiple games Jay - one every 3 months or so if that helps

M
mjparrett

Standard rating: 1488
All-game rating: 1524

Postby Pope Pius IX » 12 Jun 2019, 19:33

I'd be up for it, especially the concept of playing those with a similar standard; it's a bit hit and miss right now with the open games.
Bronze Classicist.
Head of the Roman Catholic Church.
Pope Pius IX

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: 980
All-game rating: 980

Postby Shyvve » 12 Jun 2019, 20:01

Hey Mike,

It's fantastic that you're thinking of getting the PDL up and running again. Count me in!

Agreed with V that the dropouts issue is what sunk us the first time. (Maybe we all agree to a -300 Ratings hit imposed by super_dipsy should we quit? :) j/k....well, kinda j/k).
I also agree with V's suggestion about everyone agreeing to the possibility of a player playing multiple games simultaneously should there be a dropout in a higher tier.

The only suggestion I might make is the following. Assume we have multiple tiers again as we did in the first season (three I believe), with an anticipated 4 matches per PDL season for each player against others in the same tier. If at the end of the season any players in the same tier end up tied, that we use number of solos as the first tiebreaker. (This might have already been the case; can't remember). This is a very minor point, may not even come into play, and the last thing we need right now is to get into the weeds.

It's June, so we'll have plenty of time to agree on a format (which I'd anticipate being just what we had before as far as scoring, schedules, etc.). Plenty of time to recruit reliable players too.
An Oldie and Gold Classicist. Moderator for the Classicist group.
Shyvve
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1360
All-game rating: 1392
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby jay65536 » 12 Jun 2019, 20:59

mjparrett wrote:i envisage this starting in 2020 - a nice build up to whet the appetite and a chance to iron out any wrinkles. There will be very limited multiple games Jay - one every 3 months or so if that helps

M

The fact that it starts in 2020 is more likely to help me to join than the infrequency of games. I am just now getting back into playing Diplomacy after a major life shift, and I'm just testing out whether the time commitment of playing will fit into my life again. (In a related story, I just created a game, if anyone hadn't already seen my post about it and wants to play with me.)

I have an idea for how to try to soften the effect of quitters, if you're willing to hear it, even though I didn't play the first time around...
jay65536

Standard rating: 1120
All-game rating: 1126
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Woolgie » 12 Jun 2019, 21:04

Rather than starting afresh with this debate can we pick up the good things that were talked about last Autumn?

That said, I set up a discord at the time for PDL Planning and invited a lot of people but most declined to be involved. There is definite apathy among many and fatigue among others (by which I mean they will drop out after the initial excitement).

There is however a core interest in resurrecting PDL and a good number of people who remained committed last time.

My primary recommendation is that we get a small steering group set up of people who want to, well, steer the plan and move our conversation to discord to hammer out the details before a proper launch here in a few months. Anyone who wants to participate and will commit time is welcome imo.

https://discord.gg/UpmcfEH
Jon Stark in Diplomacy of Ice and Fire III - Winter is coming
GMing my Star Wars variant
Still proud of my solo in Versailles Fog Chaos
Woolgie
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1028
All-game rating: 920

Postby Pootleflump » 12 Jun 2019, 21:37

Is the person at the top of PDL 1 hereby crowned Queen of Everything, and deserving of whatever she wants? 8-) :lol:
But, I nearly forgot, you must close your eyes otherwise you won't see anything

Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality
Pootleflump
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1823
All-game rating: 1898

Next

Return to PlayDip Diplomacy League