PDL 2020 Viewers Lounge

A PlayDiplomacy competitive league

Moderator: mjparrett

Re: PDL 2020 Viewers Lounge

Postby jay65536 » 24 May 2020, 20:39

So with the D1 May game about to have its first movement, and the "break" about to end, a snapshot look at the standings for those here in the Viewers' Lounge, with some very interesting implications from the results we already have!

Here are some highlights:

• No one in D1 has recorded more than one non-loss result. Of the 5 games played, three (!) have ended in solos, all by different people, and two have ended in 4way draws, all with different people.
  • While the top three in the standings are the ones who soloed, they aren't tied, because the scoring system allows 4 points per center to count even in losses, and this separates the top three. Martz leads, with 25 total centers (18 and 7), then V, with 23 (18 and 5), and then Squasher, with 18 (and 0).
  • Martz has a 2-center lead over V, so it is close at the top. But the third soloist, Squasher, is 7 centers behind the lead. How much does that mean Squasher is trailing? Well, at 4 points per center, that's 28 points. To put this in perspective, the difference between a 3way draw and a 4way draw is only 21 points. So suppose, for example, that in their next games, Squasher picks up a 10-center 3way, and Martz picks up a 9-center 4way. That's a difference of 25 points (124 vs. 99), which would not make up the gap!
  • On the same note, the May game is lecrae's second--that 56-point loss could come into play with a good second result! Also worth noting is Frenchie07001, who has 48 points from losses, but with 2 results already.
  • The next two in the standings are MasterGR and Charleroi, the two who topped their boards in the two 4way draws. Charleroi's draw result--the equivalent of 13 centers--is slightly better than MasterGR's 12, but with the extra 4 centers MasterGR picked up in his loss to a solo, he is sitting in fourth, with 16 total centers to Charleroi's 13.
  • Speaking of "the equivalent of", the one game that was an agreed DIAS after the surrender is having some interesting implications in the standings. Because Austria's center points were distributed proportionally rounded to the nearest integer, NOT the nearest center, stew0610 sits alone in sixth with 100 points--the equivalent of 9.25 centers in a 4way draw. (stew0610 also leads all players who have only one result so far.) The actual endgame saw France and Italy eliminated, so calling the game early helped both stew0610 (France) and Tortellacci (Italy).
  • There is a tie at 99 points between Groo and SelhurstPark. Groo has a 9-center 4way, and SelhurstPark has a 7-center 4way and a 2-center loss. So both have one 4way draw and 9 total centers across their results. Currently, Groo leads on tiebreaks (because he had more centers in his draw).
  • While the top 3 both have 2 games played and 2 to go, there are 9 players who still have 3 games to go. Six of them are in the May game. Only one player (Charleroi) has 3 games played and one left, and SelhurstPark will be the second as of the May game.

Overall, I notice two other things. First, the 4 points per center seems like it could have some outsized implications in the standings. There is definitely a chance that someone's higher total center count would put them higher in the standings than someone with smaller draws. But at the beginning of the league, I thought this might be because of something like a big power getting stalemated on 15+ centers and then taking a 4way or 5way. Instead, it might be because centers gained in a loss to a solo count of top of centers gained in draw results. I was not anticipating this! I'm very curious to see how that plays out.

Second, earlier in the thread I noted that solos are easier to catch in this scoring system than most other scoring systems. The actual results so far make it less likely that a soloist would be caught by someone who didn't solo. I view that as a good thing (though that's just my opinion).

Looking forward to the next "phase" of games. This is fun to follow!
jay65536

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1120)
All-game rating: (1126)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby TTBen » 26 May 2020, 14:29

another wrote:
Woolgie wrote:Durkeety and Mr Aedron have failed to join their games and have been removed from the league. EricNoland and Another have been notified to step in as the next reserves.

Do you need any more reserves? I know someone who was considering it.

Always needing reserves.
PbF GM
— African Diplomacy 5 -Finished
-- Warring States2 Finished

What next?

PbF Player
—Tournament of Swords Winner
Platinum member of Classicists
Organizer for 2PC Tournament in 2018
TTBen
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1118
All-game rating: 1921
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Latanst » 25 Jun 2020, 02:47

Italy has auto-surrendered in 177620. PDL D2 Jun. Spring 1904. Four Units so the position is still viable.

Will the tournament moderators be looking for a possible replacement? Or should the players make a chat box (etc.) announcement or take any other action?
Latanst
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1071
All-game rating: 1157
Timezone: GMT+9

Postby V » 25 Jun 2020, 02:49

Latanst wrote:Italy has auto-surrendered in 177620. PDL D2 Jun. Spring 1904. Four Units so the position is still viable.

Will the tournament moderators be looking for a possible replacement? Or should the players make a chat box (etc.) announcement or take any other action?

Woolgie &/or TTBen will be on the case asap. The game should be password protected, so only they can organise a PDL replacement player.
Platinum Classicist
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
V

Standard rating: 1778
All-game rating: 1829
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby Latanst » 25 Jun 2020, 02:52

Much obliged! :)

V wrote:
Latanst wrote:Italy has auto-surrendered in 177620. PDL D2 Jun. Spring 1904. Four Units so the position is still viable.

Woolgie &/or TTBen will be on the case asap. The game should be password protected, so only they can organise a PDL replacement player.
Latanst
Premium Member

Postby TTBen » 25 Jun 2020, 04:42

V wrote:

I thought this was the case too but apparently it's not the case. I was in the process of searching for a player and someone joined.

In the end we were told previously not to kick anyone out that joined accidentally. The only action by a tournament organizer would occur of someone already in the league tried to join a surrendered position and influence others results. Else we will allow the random sub to continue and the permanent sub named before the start of the next game.
PbF GM

What next?

PbF Player
TTBen
Premium Member

Postby Latanst » 25 Jun 2020, 05:09

Many thanks for the efforts and for the background information. I am sure we will all muddle through!

TTBen wrote:
V wrote:

I thought this was the case too but apparently it's not the case. I was in the process of searching for a player and someone joined.

In the end we were told previously not to kick anyone out that joined accidentally. The only action by a tournament organizer would occur of someone already in the league tried to join a surrendered position and influence others results. Else we will allow the random sub to continue and the permanent sub named before the start of the next game.
Latanst
Premium Member

Postby TTBen » 28 Jun 2020, 15:27

The "new" Italy who previously joined immediately auto-surrendered, I was able to get the intended sub in their place this time.

The original surrender, Shyvve, is removed from the league. Tolpuddlemartyr the next sub on the list is now the permanent replacement.
PbF GM

What next?

PbF Player
TTBen
Premium Member

Postby Latanst » 28 Jun 2020, 16:05

Many thanks. We seem to be back in business.

TTBen wrote:The "new" Italy who previously joined immediately auto-surrendered, I was able to get the intended sub in their place this time.

The original surrender, Shyvve, is removed from the league. Tolpuddlemartyr the next sub on the list is now the permanent replacement.
Latanst
Premium Member

Postby Woolgie » 03 Jul 2020, 10:55

Lecrae has left the league and identified 0wl as their replacement. This replacement is permanent. As Lecrae has left without surrendering they will be welcome back next season.
Jon Stark in Diplomacy of Ice and Fire III - Winter is coming
GMing my Star Wars variant
Still proud of my solo in Versailles Fog Chaos
Woolgie
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1058
All-game rating: 937
Timezone: GMT

PreviousNext

Return to PlayDip Diplomacy League