Premier League 2019/20

Anything you want to talk about.

Re: Premier League 2019/20

Postby sjg11 » 03 Aug 2019, 23:33

Pope Pius IX wrote:All I'll add (until I do a full-on prediction list) is that all the good teams drew 1-1 at home to Port Vale today...

Eh... Port Vale are pretty dreadful you probably should have won that one. But that being said you'll be in and around the play-offs again as that seems to be your natural state at the moment, you're a pretty solid League Two side.
One of the people in charge of the Mafia forum.
Telleo wrote:The mafia forum, to them,
Sir SJG's known as a gem,
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (908)
All-game rating: (899)
Timezone: GMT

Postby mjparrett » 04 Aug 2019, 10:58

A lot of people thinking Newcastle will be relegated? Steve Bruce is bad (and will likely be sacked), but not that bad.

Man City will win the league, this time at a canter. The top 3 will likely be the same this season. I agree Arsenal are the most likley for fourth. I love Lampard as a player but who knows how he is as a manager. Losing Hazard is huge and Chelsea will possible struggle. United might challenge depending on the signings this week. Everton (my team) I think are good for 7th and will push Chelsea close if we can get 1 or 2 more in.

Sheffield United will get horsed week in week out, as will Brighton. Potter is a shoo in for first manager sacked. I think Norwich will complete the bottom 3,
mjparrett

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1488
All-game rating: 1524

Postby Fatmo » 04 Aug 2019, 11:27

Well I guess I'm following this league now, since it's part of "view your posts" for me.

Westham will win it all. I say this with absolutely no knowledge to back it up. But they will crush everyone in a blaze of glory. Their opponents should just give up now. It's curtains for whoever has the audacity to oppose them. They shall sleep with the fishes.

;)

When does the season start?

Talking about this reminds me of that month I spent in a tiny village in England drinking in the one pub every night and watching football. And that dartboard.

I want strongbow now.
You don't know what I'm thinking...because I don't know what I'm doing.

Conq wrote:Fatmo — you are a relentless mountain stream, ever-flowing, slowly but surely carving away at the rock face below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjEgjTfcEJk
Fatmo
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1089)
All-game rating: (1050)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby sjg11 » 04 Aug 2019, 16:39

Fatmo wrote:
When does the season start?

Talking about this reminds me of that month I spent in a tiny village in England drinking in the one pub every night and watching football. And that dartboard.

I want strongbow now.

It starts on 9th August.

And tbf if it's a tiny village in England and it doesn't only have one inevitably dingy pub along with a dartboard then you haven't been to England.
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Postby Martz » 09 Aug 2019, 15:15

I used to post a lot in these threads, reminds me of old times!

Here are my predictions:

1. Manchester City
Despite the loss of captain Vincent Kompany, the champions still have leaders in their team and are coming back stronger this year with a solid team and additions in Joao Cancelo and Rodrigo. Rodrigo will the heir to their midfield engine in Fernandinho. While Pep Guardiola is still in charge, City are the favourites and this season could be the end of an era if Guardiola moves onto a new challenge and David Silva moves on just as a transfer ban begins. I'm expecting to see goalkeeper Ederson providing entertainment with a couple of assists, a player of the year performance from Bernardo Silva and Sergio Aguero to be fazed out for Jesus.

2. Liverpool
Liverpool head into the season with their best chance of winning the league for many years. I really admire Jurgen Klopp and he seems to trust that there is no need to spend in the transfer window because he has players returning from injury that will be like new signings, time will tell if that is correct. The strength of the team is the defence, which is one of the best in the Premier League era, but they haven't really got the depth in defence and would struggle if a couple of players were injured. Mo Salah and Sadio Mane are superstars.

3. Tottenham
Third team in a row with an exceptional manager and after Tottenham I feel that there is a significant gap to fourth. The core of the defence could only have one season left or could even face changes in January with question marks over Toby Alderweireld and Jan Vertonghen's futures. Tanguy Ndombele should be the ideal replacement for Moussa Dembele and it shows how far Tottenham has come that he chose them over all of the other big clubs seeking him and keeping the manager Mauricio Pochettino is a big part of that. Tottenham fans may be upset that Coutinhio and Dybala didn’t sign for them, but if they signed it’s possible Christian Eriksen goes and that’ll be a bigger loss to Tottenham than most people realise. Harry Kane is my pick for top goalscorer.

4. Manchester United
Pains me to say it but there is a big difference between Manchester United and the three teams above them in these predictions, because Manchester United no longer has a complete squad of quality and depth, or a world renowned Manager. The odds on Manchester United winning the league is now 40/1, who would have thought that with Sir Alex Ferguson retired. Hopefully in this season the highly-rated youth players get a good chance to play instead of the players on huge contacts not necessarily wanting to play there. Time will tell if we see the ‘in form pre-Solskjaer’s contract United’, or the side that struggled after the contact was signed.

5. Arsenal
A couple of deadline day buys to bolster the defence went down well with the Arsenal fans, but this is still a team more likely to finish outside the top four. Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang will be heavily relied upon up front and getting the best out of Mesut Ozil and Henrikh Mkhitaryan could be key to progressing higher than this position. A strong run in the Europa League is more likely than a run for the Premier League.

6. Chelsea
Feels like a new era in Chelsea and we’re now entering a transitional period. The transfer ban should give a lot of the younger players a chance to start this season, but the void left by Eden Hazard will be a huge one to try and fill. I placed Arsenal ahead of Chelsea because Arsenal have a proven manager, where as Frank Lampard is not. N’Golo Kante is still the best in the world in his position and it’ll be interested to see how the midfield is built around him.

7. Everton
Everton for me are ‘best of the rest’ and have a very good chance at breaking into the six without a European competition distracting them. In the past few seasons the additions have been smart purchases and quality young players who’ve had a chance to gel now. The future is looking good for Everton.

8. Watford
My first prediction in the top ten that the majority of others wouldn’t have. Watford have retained their players and have a lot of depth compared to other teams outside of the top six. Danny Welbeck is only 28 and could be a shrewd bit of business. Watford tend to start strong and need to learn to finish strong as well for a chance at the Europa League spots.

9. West Ham
Fans must love what Manuel Pellegrini is building at West Ham, a host of technically gifted attacking midfielders now have the focal point of club-record signing striker Sebastial Haller and their defence seemed to have come into place during the second half of the season.

10. Leicester
A very popular Football magazine I read predicts Leicester to finish sixth, while I think that it is a stretch we do know that Leicester can perform miracles. Youri Tielmans and Ayoze Perez are smart buys with Premier League experience and Ricardo Pereira and James Maddison are good enough to be in a top 4 team. Not being able to replace the rock in their defence, Harry Maguire, could prove very costly and the difference in a battle for 7th, or a battle to get in the top half of the table. I do wonder if the new manager Brendan Rodgers sticks around if a better offer comes.

11. Bournemouth
Eddie Howe is still a legend at Bournemouth and is the longest reigning Premier League manager, a remarkable achievement. Bournemouth is another team that tends to start strong, but this season they’re coming into the season with a few players injured and time will tell if the young players they have signed to fill the void is the solution.

12. Southampton
Southampton did really well to stay up last season after the change in manager to Ralph Hasenhuttl, he seems to have the same sort of affect Jurgen Klopp has on players and it is refreshing to see a manager like him in the Premier League. I don’t think that Southampton will be in a relegation battle this year. Southampton have the best option in terms of strikers outside of the ‘top 6’ and finding the best partnership out of them could produce a lot of goals.

13. Burnley
Seventh after the 2017/2018 campaign, but I predicted them to be in the relegation battle during last season and I was right. There is no Europa League distraction this year, so I think they’ll finish nearer 10th than bottom. A solid team, with a committed manager and a hugely talented youngster in Dwight McNeil that they managed to keep.

14. Aston Villa
Out of the three promoted teams I believe Aston Villa are the best equipped for the Premier League, already having several players that have played at this level. Star player Jack Grealish has some experience now and should flourish int he Premier League.

15. Wolves
Wolves have a very talented and organised team, but it is a small team, playing additional games in the Europa League this year. Last season didn’t see a lot of rotation within the team and they were extremely lucky with very few injuries. An early exit from Europa League could see Wolves nearer 10th than the relegation battle I’m predicting.

16. Crystal Palace
Palace lost Right-Back Aaron Wan-Bisakka, but other than that not a lot changed with Crystal Palace, which is good news for them that they’ve kept talisman Wilfried Zaha, but unlike West Ham, they haven’t bought a striker to work around and Christian Benteke proved again that he is only a shadow of the player he was a few years ago. I do wonder where the goals will come from and I can see Crystal Palace in the relegation battle.

17. Norwich
Played the best attacking football in the Championship and will be interesting to see if they can do the same again in the Premier League, they haven’t done the same thing as Fulham did by buying a dozen new players but trusted what won them the Championship.

18. Brighton
Graham Potter is an attack-minded manager and his teams have been very different to their former manager Chris Hughton’s. Striker Glenn Murray is 36 next month and can’t be relied upon for goals, so someone needs to step up. I predicted Brighton relegation last season and they just about managed to stay up, I think they won’t be so lucky this year.

19. Sheffield United
I’m also excited to see Sheffield United play in the Premier League, their formation is unique and like Norwich they’ve trusted their players they got them promoted in the first place and kept the same team. I can see Sheffield United starting well and then falling into the relegation zone as the season progresses. On average one promoted team goes back down and out of the three I predict them.

20. Newcastle
Losing Rafa Benetiz is huge, he put so much effort into the club and is a manager who surely had offers from teams playing in the Champions League but remained at Newcastle. Steve Bruce is a very unpopular replacement as a manager and is the most likely candidate to lose his job. Bruce will know that Newcastle needs a very strong start to the season to try and win over some fans and there will be a lot of pressure on the new attacking signings to perform quickly, they can’t be eased in. Pressure is on.
Martz
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1683
All-game rating: 2042

Postby The SHIV » 09 Aug 2019, 16:33

I hate it when I'm relegated......I like to be regular!

Metamucil anyone?

:D

LOL

The SHIV
First..........get off my lawn! Second........it's an Admirals Cheesehead! Courtesy of The Craw. Third.....I am SHIV, Keeper of the Stone Tablets! Go Pack!
The SHIV
Premium Member

Location: Sailing somewhere in the Rockies on the Black Pearl but originally a Yooper!
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1136
All-game rating: 1109
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby sjg11 » 12 Aug 2019, 13:27

Martz, so about Watford finishing 8th this season... they did not start well.

I'll also admit the chances of Brighton surviving have increased since they signed Neal Maupay, he might actually be the guy to replace the Glenn Murray goals that have rescued them over the past couple of seasons.

Also think that people are overstating the gap between Spurs and the rest of the CL contender this season.
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Postby Martz » 12 Aug 2019, 21:36

sjg11 wrote:Martz, so about Watford finishing 8th this season... they did not start well.

I'll also admit the chances of Brighton surviving have increased since they signed Neal Maupay, he might actually be the guy to replace the Glenn Murray goals that have rescued them over the past couple of seasons.

Also think that people are overstating the gap between Spurs and the rest of the CL contender this season.

Yep, Brighton looked good and Watford looked poor.
Martz
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1683
All-game rating: 2042

Previous

Return to Off-topic