Proper Titles for Roleplaying

Anything you want to talk about.

Proper Titles for Roleplaying

Postby Goldain » 09 May 2017, 06:50

Sometimes I like to do my communications in roleplay format just to break up the monotany of "so you wanna do a DMZ in XYZ"?. I mean, after a while standard games can get fairly redundant. But sometimes I see others trying to roleplay a bit but you get things like "Hey Pope" to Italy, or "Queen of England" to...um, England. So thought I would post this here for those wanting to do a little roleplay comms with at least a bit of historical accuracy. Will list the leaders a 1901 (and their successors if they didn't last very long after) so you can at least know the title that goes with each country's ruler at that time:

Russia: Czar - Czar Nicholas II
A/H: Emperor of Austria, King of Hungary (sort of pompous-sounding but accurate) - Franz Joseph I
Italy: King - King Vittorio (Victor) Emmanuel III
England: King - King Edward VII until 1910/King George V after that
France: President - President Emili Loubet until 1906/ President Armand Failleres after that
Germany: Kaiser - Kaiser Wilhelm II
Turkey: Sultan - Sultan Abdul Hamid II

Anyway, some useless trivia that might be of interest to some of you roleplayers or history buffs out there.
Goldain

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1194)
All-game rating: (1233)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Proper Titles for Roleplaying

Postby edmgrim » 09 May 2017, 07:17

WADR, it is not necessary to be historically accurate to have an enjoyable role-playing experience. Depending on the game and how I enter it, I often choose names that have some other contextual (at least to me) significance. Sometimes, there is a mild historical connection; other times it comes from something someone said or did.
edmgrim

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1077)
All-game rating: (1086)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Calavera » 09 May 2017, 16:08

If you truly want to be historically correct, please do not call Russian Emperor Czar. Russia was indeed a Tzardom, but this was in 1584-1721. By 1900 it was an empire for 179 years - more than there ever were a Czar.

Nicolas II indeed was a Tsar - not of Russia, but of Kingdom of Poland, artificially created in 1815

If you just want to add some role-playing, however, I think there is nothing wrong with calling Russia player Czar and England player Queen
Calavera

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 959
All-game rating: 1046
Timezone: GMT+3

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 09 May 2017, 16:37

While not completely historically accurate, these are what I've seen as the more-or-less traditional titles:

• Austria-Hungary - Archduke
  • England - Prime Minister
  • France - President
  • Germany - Kaiser
  • Italy - Pope
  • Russia - Tsar / Czar
  • Turkey - Sultan

Regarding Tsar, per Wikipedia:
Since the word "tsar" remained the popular designation of the Russian ruler despite the official change of style, its transliteration of this title in foreign languages such as English is commonly used also, in fact chiefly, for the Russian Emperors up to 1917.

In other words, it isn't anachronistic to refer in English to the ruler of Russia as Tsar even though Emperor was the more official title. This is similar to Archduke for Austria-Hungary, which was an honorary title in common usage by the Habsburg family even as their official titles were much more grandiose.

As for Pope, that one's definitely ahistorical, though the influence of the Catholic church on the relatively new nation of Italy was still fairly significant.
NoPunIn10Did
Lead Volunteer Developer

Forum Administrator

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 1471
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Calavera » 10 May 2017, 08:52

in other words, it isn't anachronistic to refer in English to the ruler of Russia as Tsar even though Emperor was the more official title.

Thank you, I didn't know that!
Calavera

Standard rating: 959
All-game rating: 1046
Timezone: GMT+3

Return to Off-topic