GoFundMe for Original Dip Copy

Anything you want to talk about.

GoFundMe for Original Dip Copy

Postby Gavrilo Princip » 30 Mar 2017, 07:09

In response to the thread "Calhamer Estate Sale," in which we proposed the idea of trying to win ABC's liquidated original copy of Dip, I've made a gofundme campaign to that effect. We might not win it, but I figured it's worth a try. I'll refund/cancel donations if we can't make a winning bid in time.

https://www.gofundme.com/1st-ed-diplomacy-for-playdip

The original ebay listing is here:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/1959-DIPLOMACY-1S ... Ciid%253A2
~Gavrilo Princip
Silver Classicist
Gavrilo Princip
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1183)
All-game rating: (1240)
Timezone: GMT-8

Re: GoFundMe for Original Dip Copy

Postby Gavrilo Princip » 30 Mar 2017, 07:22

There are 16,976 rated players on the site as of this posting. If everyone bid the equivalent of $1, I think we'd pretty much have it in the bag.
~Gavrilo Princip
Silver Classicist
Gavrilo Princip
Premium Member

Postby super_dipsy » 30 Mar 2017, 08:47

Hey Gavrilo, just a quick Q. Not being a fan of Ebay myself, do we have any sort of provenance coming with this? How do we know / show that it was ABC's original?
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 931
Timezone: GMT

Postby Gavrilo Princip » 30 Mar 2017, 09:31

As I understand it, eBay cannot directly authenticate these types of things, both because of liability and because of a simple inability to do so. However, what we have to go on is (1) from what I can tell, All Clear Estate Sales is a legitimate organization for this sort of thing there in Illinois, and (2) they have 100% positive feedback for at least 89 transactions over the past 12 months, so it doesn't appear at least that they have ever misrepresented their items.
~Gavrilo Princip
Silver Classicist
Gavrilo Princip
Premium Member

Postby Big Gun » 30 Mar 2017, 10:01

First of all - thanks for your efforts in setting this up and promoting it!

I'd like to make a donation. A few questions:

What will happen with the game? Where will it go? Will we be able to see it in real life? Even play a game with it?

As far as I understand GoFundMe - they take an approx. 6% cut from the donations. So if we don't win the auction, will you be returning the donations - 6%? How do you intend to refund donations if we don't win? Paypal?

I'm also very tempted to bid on this on eBay myself anyway. It's gone over 1000 bucks already with still a lot of bidding time to go. I'll wait with my bid until as late as possible, assuming it doesn't go way too high. I would only bid if I see that our GoFundMe page has not accumulated anywhere near the amount of money, so as not to endanger the PlayDip community's chances.
Big Gun

Standard rating: (1410)
All-game rating: (2263)

Postby Captainmeme » 30 Mar 2017, 12:51

Using GoFundMe for this is a bit shady, since the money goes to the crowdfunder regardless of whether the goal is met. With crowdfunding sites like Kickstarter you have to meet the goal first, but with GoFundMe you're essentially saying 'Donate money to me and if we get enough I'll do this, otherwise I'll just keep your donations'.
I've now lost so many tournaments I can no longer fit them in my signature.
Captainmeme

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1004)
All-game rating: (1005)

Postby Guns of Brixton » 30 Mar 2017, 13:59

I can vouch for Gavrilo's integrity at least as far as him working his ass off on producing a great game that I supported (with a small amount) for him to produce through Kickstarter.

But I also question why we would need to go through a crowd-funding site to do this. Is it so that the bidder has some better guarantee of being reimbursed? I'd question whether that is necessary since a) the bidder is receiving the ultimate collateral in the form of ownership of the game itself. If people welch he's in for more than he planned but could ultimately sell the thing and refund a proportional share to all those that did pay - i.e. he's taking the least amount of financial risk of anyone. And b) he gets the dividend of owning the thing. I'm willing to put up $100 (I expect that to go down if we get fully funded and the per person rate is less) but don't expect to get any ownership benefit other than a vague promise to break it out if I travel 6000 miles to come see it and an equally vague promise to split a share of profits if it's ever sold.

So in my opinion the bidder should be prepared to sleeve the full amount of the bid until the pledges get sent to him directly. It's not ideal and not the type of risk that everyone would want to wear but it then would justify the advantages of possession that he would enjoy later.

And the risk isn't that great - it's not like this is a community of lying backstabbers or anything...
Platinum Classicist
Mentor
Guns of Brixton

Standard rating: (1580)
All-game rating: (1622)

Postby Otherwise » 30 Mar 2017, 14:51

Shouldn't it be in a museum? Really.

But I DO love this:

"And the risk isn't that great - it's not like this is a community of lying backstabbers or anything..."

:)
Otherwise

Standard rating: (1118)
All-game rating: (1142)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby rd45 » 30 Mar 2017, 15:01

I can vouch for Gavrilo's integrity inasmuch as he's a standup dude who's great fun to play against in a game of diplomacy. And this is a unique item that would appeal to anyone with a love of the game's history.

But in terms of contributing to a bid on behalf of the playdip user community... I don't think I'll be doing that. For me, the outcome & the benefits maybe haven't been described all that clearly.

I think there might be little chance of this happening, but I'd hope that whoever buys it will use it for the intended purpose, rather than lock it away in a cupboard like Al the toy collector in my second-favourite Toy Story movie. Would certainly be a great board to play on if there's ever an all-time champion-of-champions F2F tournament showdown.
rd45

Standard rating: 1302
All-game rating: 1329

Postby Carebear » 30 Mar 2017, 15:15

Guns of Brixton wrote:But I also question why we would need to go through a crowd-funding site to do this.

I can think of a couple of reasons for crowd funding:
  • Not everyone wants to spend their money to buy such a thing. But, has an interest for community sake.
  • Even if someone were willing to spend their own money, they really don't have the available disposable cash on-hand.

Guns of Brixton wrote:Is it so that the bidder has some better guarantee of being reimbursed? I'd question whether that is necessary since a) the bidder is receiving the ultimate collateral in the form of ownership of the game itself. If people welch he's in for more than he planned but could ultimately sell the thing and refund a proportional share to all those that did pay - i.e. he's taking the least amount of financial risk of anyone.

Not really, he is taking the risk if people welch. There is no guarantee that the game will sell in a second auction for near equal to the amount involved in the hype of the first round.

Guns of Brixton wrote:b) he gets the dividend of owning the thing.

That is one thing that would need to be discussed, but a conclusion is not necessary immediately. A simple agreement now that the purchaser does not assume ownership of the item and the contributors to the purchase get to vote on ultimate resolution of the item based on their contribution (i.e.: $100 = 100 votes).
You can have my last supply center, when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

Spam Ambassador Wannabe

Officially Sanctioned Site Gadfly (meaning the negative kind of sanction)
Carebear

Standard rating: (1573)
All-game rating: (1589)
Timezone: GMT+8

Next

Return to Off-topic