Defficacious

Anything you want to talk about.

Defficacious

Postby Tarsier » 18 Jan 2017, 00:07

Talking with someone today about something being efficacious, which of course means something that is successful in producing the desired result. In discussing it, I realized there doesn't exist a good antonym for the word. There are words such as impotent, ineffective and useless that describe something that is NOT efficacious, but there needs to be a word for things that consistently "successfully produce the exact opposite of the desired result."

So, deficit seemed like a good candidate for a portmanteau with efficacious for this word, so:

Deficacious: Successfully producing the exact opposite of the desired result.

I'm thinking of things that pretty consistently do this, such as:

Telling school kids to stop smearing up the bathroom mirrors.
Naming one's daughter "Chastity".
Telling a police officer that he goddamn better not write you a ticket.
Writing a bad check to eliminate a debt and then incurring a service fee on top of keeping the debt.

Thought it would be fun to open up this thread and see if you can come up with any other clever examples.
Tarsier

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (2018)
All-game rating: (2105)
Timezone: GMT-6

Re: Defficacious

Postby edmgrim » 18 Jan 2017, 00:28

My negotiations with England in every game of diplomacy that I have ever played.
edmgrim

Standard rating: (1077)
All-game rating: (1086)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Octavious » 18 Jan 2017, 01:03

Telling someone to clear their mind of the song "Lily the Pink".
Guaaaaaaak!
Octavious

Standard rating: (1242)
All-game rating: (1251)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Tarsier » 18 Jan 2017, 01:07

Octavious wrote:Telling someone to clear their mind of the song "Lily the Pink".

Clever!

"Most efficacious in every case."
Tarsier

Postby The SHIV » 18 Jan 2017, 01:09

Well since you're hang in round with nuthin to do (Tarsier), maybe you'd care to join me in a game? Lets get one started, what say you? That would be very efficacious of you!

The SHIV
First..........get off my lawn! Second........it's an Admirals Cheesehead! Courtesy of The Craw. Third.....I am SHIV, Keeper of the Stone Tablets! Go Pack!
The SHIV
Premium Member

Location: Sailing somewhere in the Rockies on the Black Pearl but originally a Yooper!
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1136
All-game rating: 1100
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Tarsier » 18 Jan 2017, 01:11

The SHIV wrote:Well since you're hang in round with nuthin to do (Tarsier), maybe you'd care to join me in a game? Lets get one started, what say you? That would be very efficacious of you!

The SHIV

Wait, now I'm confused. Are you actually trying to get me to join a game or using reverse psychology to appear to defficaciously deter me from playing so I look like a big ole coward??
Tarsier

Postby The SHIV » 18 Jan 2017, 01:17

Ahhhhhh......the coward thing. I throw down the gauntlet and challenge you to a game of regular ole diplomacy. 48/24/24, can be anon countries, nuthin fancy, nuthin funny, random countries, what else? I believe we met once and both lost. Anyway, what say you?

The SHIV
First..........get off my lawn! Second........it's an Admirals Cheesehead! Courtesy of The Craw. Third.....I am SHIV, Keeper of the Stone Tablets! Go Pack!
The SHIV
Premium Member

Location: Sailing somewhere in the Rockies on the Black Pearl but originally a Yooper!

Postby The SHIV » 18 Jan 2017, 01:18

And......get off my lawn!
LoL

Shiv
The SHIV
Premium Member

Postby The SHIV » 18 Jan 2017, 01:21

I'm gonna close up the tablet for the night and give you time to weasel....LoL.....I mean find your way out.

Shiv
The SHIV
Premium Member

Postby Tarsier » 18 Jan 2017, 01:30

The SHIV wrote:I'm gonna close up the tablet for the night and give you time to weasel....LoL.....I mean find your way out.

Shiv

Sure, I'd play. But I'm in a game now and have a strict one-game-at-a-time rule, so once that wraps up.

Now, back to topic:

Defficacious:

Trying to start a thread that has nothing to do with the game Diplomacy, which becomes a thread all about the game Diplomacy.

Though I don't know if that's consistent enough to be defficacious. It might only happen when SHIV is online.
Tarsier

Next

Return to Off-topic