Frustrated

Anything you want to talk about.

Re: Frustrated

Postby Mr_Blobby » 26 Oct 2016, 11:33

I don't get what 106737 is - where did I refer to it?

I PM'd the creator asking for a password and was told to politely go away because I was not a Classicist (even though I was) and that was a few months ago. I don't want to have an extended moaning session - I have stated my views and it has been an interesting discussion so thanks. I guess that being in games where countries NMR and surrender and the players come/go in a revolving door are now par for the course.
Mr_Blobby

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1320)
All-game rating: (1338)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Bromley86 » 26 Oct 2016, 12:08

You didn't, I did. That's the game number for the only Classicist game on whose thread you've posted, 106737 Classic for Classicists. That one was a year ago.

I've no idea which game you pmed on, but clearly a mistake was made. I suspect that had you politely pointed out that you were indeed a Classicist, that mistake would not have festered.

Regarding your somewhat fatalistic sign-off, you've been given a number of ways to avoid that. (Try another online Diplo site like Backstabbr to see how truely awful an online game of Diplomacy can be (I say Backstabbr because they have a great interface, but public games there suck)). The forum game you've set is definitely a move in the right direction. Good luck with it!
A member of the Classicists, a group that aims to reduce NMRs/surrenders.
Bromley86

Standard rating: (1880)
All-game rating: (2233)
Timezone: GMT+12

Postby Otherwise » 26 Oct 2016, 15:25

But there is a down-side-

Those players that decide at the start or in the middle of their very first game, the young and the impatient, the poor communicators-

They couldn't be used for "food" were they not there.

So in some ways, they do serve a useful purpose.

-O
Otherwise

Standard rating: (1118)
All-game rating: (1142)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Mr_Blobby » 26 Oct 2016, 15:40

@otherwise I do like your style! Your comparing newbies to plankton for us fish :D

No, I don't want to use another forum thanks. In fact, I liked this one very much and appreciated the banter and good gamesmanship until things started to go pear shaped and I joined the Classicists.

Stephen.
Mr_Blobby

Postby Mr_Blobby » 26 Oct 2016, 21:34

I've set up a Classicists game and I am just waiting to see who asks for the password so that I can email them and tell them to bugger off because they're not Classicists :D :D :D At least I think that's how the procedures work in the Classicists ;)
Mr_Blobby

Postby ruffdove » 27 Oct 2016, 15:11

WHSeward wrote:The surest way to kill this or any Dip site is to turn it into an exclusive club that is not welcoming to new players giving them a good first experience.

Right, but my suggestion is exactly TO welcome them. Formally. Into a mentor game. You want to give them a good first experience? My mentor game was an awesome experience. The first game I randomly jumped into was a cluster@%$#. Do we want new visitors to the site to hop willy-nilly into just any game, ruin it for the other players, and conclude that it's too hard, or too slow, or they don't get it, or gee the other players got mad at me so I'm leaving?

Honestly, I'm not saying my suggestion is ideal or perfect. It doesn't address experienced Dip players who know the game and are just new to this site. They wouldn't need a mentor game (at least not past mastering the interface). It also would likely require many more mentor games and, hence, many more mentors... And I can't honestly say I have the time these days to commit to that myself, so how can I say others should?

The OP pointed out that the curious, casual gamer who ultimately will conclude the game's not for them ruin a fair number of games. He's right. I was just trying to think of a way to cordon off that influx of new visitors into something more constructive than "here's your account, go nuts." Who knows, a more structured introduction to the site might actually increase the percentage of casual site visitors who fall in love with the game. Is my concept for what that structured introduction should look like perfect? No. But the concept of a structured introduction is not "turning the site into an exclusive club" - if anything, it's giving newbies a better shot at joining the exclusive club that already exists: experienced, reliable players.
ruffdove

Standard rating: (1515)
All-game rating: (1579)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby WarSmith » 29 Oct 2016, 20:31

I'd favor some kind of automated trial where they have to complete two phases of a dummy game against an automated set of opponents - just to check that they communicate and can lay orders...
As someone who came to the online format as an experienced F2F player I wouldn't have wanted to piss around with a mentor game, but understanding the interface and mechanisms of the site took a short while.
I'm sure it's not hard to code something like this.
For example a lot of computer games have little pop-up guides who take you through basics.
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth even has a chance to put its pants on”
WarSmith
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1725
All-game rating: 1712
Timezone: GMT+2

Postby schocker » 23 Dec 2016, 00:09

1. I have had the same problems with games on this site (More on this site than others for some reason).
2. I like the automated game idea for new players and me. I also fear/agree with the "elite" aspect of screening out players. Point system weighting encourages this too.
3. Many years ago as I remember I had the same experience which was discussed above with the Classicists. I never tried again.
4.The Ambassador games are always good and the play is superior to open games.
Member of The Classicists
schocker
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1421
All-game rating: 1417
Timezone: GMT-6

Previous

Return to Off-topic