Frustrated

Anything you want to talk about.

Re: Frustrated

Postby Otherwise » 25 Oct 2016, 15:25

I THIRD it! We should propose a poll...

A vote? Is it a democracy? Or is super_dipsy just sitting behind the master control-panel, cackling maniacally as he forces us to do his bidding and dance like the puppets we are?

Oh, sorry.

What I meant to say was "Maybe we should present this idea to super_dipsy."

And also, ruffdove, it would have to be you to PM super_dipsy, as it was your brain-child, and if it really happens, you should deserve credit. Or a monument, or something.
Otherwise

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1118)
All-game rating: (1142)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby WarSmith » 25 Oct 2016, 17:10

I share the frustration, having experienced some very poor gameplay recently as I try to get into the game again and restore some of my stats... there are some real idiots out there.
It's ok to say 'play classicist' but they don't have so many games come up so it's tough if you're like me and like to play more.

But don't give up! I really enjoyed our recent game :)
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth even has a chance to put its pants on”
WarSmith
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1725
All-game rating: 1712
Timezone: GMT+2

Postby condude1 » 25 Oct 2016, 18:16

I sign the petition! I love ideas that kill two birds with one stone, and this idea seems to kill quite a few.
Telleo wrote:I don't think I've ever met someone who more perfectly embodied Chaotic Neutral than Condude1.

Moderator of the Mafia Subforums!

Silver member of The Classicists!
condude1

Standard rating: (1368)
All-game rating: (1307)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby WHSeward » 25 Oct 2016, 19:04

So make it mandatory/unskippable for anyone trying to register an account. Then make a mentor game mandatory before any other game can be joined. People who are interested will WANT to play a mentor game first anyway. People who are not, either won't bother or will be weeded out in the mentor game.

The fundamental problem with this is that it is putting the burden on the wrong player. It is very easy to get into a quality game at PlayDip. There are lots of ways to do it.

You can play in:

Ambassador-only games,
Classicist games,
Forum advertised games,
Oldies and other club games,
PDET/S and other tournament games,
Play-by-Forum games,
your very own invitational game (my personally preferred method).

It makes no sense for the site to erect barriers to new players so that "old hands" can avoid them, when it is so easy for those old hands to play with other experienced players if they try. If this is an important issue to you, don't play in random pick-up games. It is really that simple.

The surest way to kill this or any Dip site is to turn it into an exclusive club that is not welcoming to new players giving them a good first experience. Our hobby, this site included, has a fair bit of player turnover. In order to be sustainable, we have to be constantly recruiting new players.

My personal approach is to always have a quality game-start and then with my shield go join a random pick up game. The best way to teach new players is to play with them so they learn how the game is meant to work.
"As a general truth, communities prosper and flourish, or droop and decline, in just the degree that they practice or neglect to practice the primary duties of justice and humanity." WHS

A member of the Classicists.

Ask me about mentor games. Send me a PM or post in the Mentoring forum.
WHSeward

Standard rating: (1633)
All-game rating: (1647)

Postby Mr_Blobby » 25 Oct 2016, 20:13

@WHSeward as I said, I tried to play Classicists games but was told to go away so if they want to be elitist I am not going to kiss their ass just for a decent game.
Mr_Blobby

Standard rating: (1320)
All-game rating: (1338)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Mr_Blobby » 25 Oct 2016, 20:21

WarSmith wrote:I share the frustration, having experienced some very poor gameplay recently as I try to get into the game again and restore some of my stats... there are some real idiots out there.
It's ok to say 'play classicist' but they don't have so many games come up so it's tough if you're like me and like to play more.

But don't give up! I really enjoyed our recent game :)
Last edited by Mr_Blobby on 26 Oct 2016, 01:31, edited 1 time in total.
Mr_Blobby

Postby WHSeward » 25 Oct 2016, 22:16

@Blobby,

My reply wasn't directed at you but at the quote and those commenting on it.

As for your situation, the Classicists aren't elitist. They are a club, and they have a membership process. Everyone that qualifies is granted entrance. If you can't be bothered to join the club before trying to play their games... well, that is a bit odd, but it doesn't really reflect on the club. Or did you join and someone made a mistake and thought you hadn't? Either way, there is no evidence of elitism in what you are describing. If you are interested in high quality games, I'd suggest you figure out what went wrong, fix it, and play Classicist games.

Or not. I just listed a bunch of other ways to get into quality games too.
"As a general truth, communities prosper and flourish, or droop and decline, in just the degree that they practice or neglect to practice the primary duties of justice and humanity." WHS

A member of the Classicists.

Ask me about mentor games. Send me a PM or post in the Mentoring forum.
WHSeward

Standard rating: (1633)
All-game rating: (1647)

Postby ColonelApricot » 26 Oct 2016, 00:12

Agree with WHS. The Classicists is easy enough to get into at the Aspiring level, although it's true that the number and type of games on offer is usually limited.

Joining and playing Premium is a good idea because other premium members are likely to be more committed and I'm sure the site needs to keep the income stream up to carry out the enhancements we all appreciate. Using invitation is my preferred process also - when I want to play a certain game variant I trawl archived games looking for players that seem to enjoy playing the particular format or variant (e.g. FOW/ AOE).

I am sure the Mentor process is a good approach for newbies - it would be interesting to know whether the demand is being met. It could be worth polling mentees for feedback on suggested improvements that might encourage new players to stay.
Dog of War in ToS
GRU of the Despicables in TTT
ColonelApricot
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1010
All-game rating: 1400

Postby Mr_Blobby » 26 Oct 2016, 01:34

I was a member of the Classicists but having tried to join games and just got snubbed, I gave up in the end.
Mr_Blobby

Postby Bromley86 » 26 Oct 2016, 02:28

Very odd. You're on the list as a Gold member, so there's no reason I can think of for you to be snubbed. The surrenders were all a while back and were okayed in your successful Gold application, back in October 2015, as well as in your successful Silver application in Feb 2015.

I couldn't see a posting from you expressing interest in one of the recently advertised games. Presumably therefore you're referring to the one you tried to join in September 2015? It sounds like you were a little confused by the process, as you hadn't at that stage pmed the creator for it. People were pretty helpful in that thread. You then posted in the Classic for Classicist game thread. Now, I don't know if ThomM, the creator, changed his mind, but nothing in the thread indicates that he didn't do as he said and pm you the password.

However, when I look at the archived game list, there's no entry for 106737. I can only assume that the NMR mentioned in the game thread lead to it never fully filling an it was just cancelled a couple of months after it was first advertised. These things happen. Doesn't look like you were snubbed from what I can see. Time to get back on the Classicist pony, I think :) . Nanook has one that should be starting soon, but it may already be full.
A member of the Classicists, a group that aims to reduce NMRs/surrenders.
Bromley86

Standard rating: (1880)
All-game rating: (2233)
Timezone: GMT+12

PreviousNext

Return to Off-topic