Premier League 2016-17

Anything you want to talk about.

Re: Premier League 2016-17

Postby sjg11 » 20 Nov 2016, 16:08

Carebear wrote:
sjg11 wrote:Personally I think Wenger waited too long to make a sub there, United's goal was coming. Happy with the result, less so with the performance. How we concede that goal with 2 CDMs playing I don't know.

From the start, ManUre looked to kick us off the ball. The first few touches we were clattered into and it continued for most of the first half. It was so obvious. It set the tone for the match, the players rushing their passes. The referee looked oblivious.

Four things come to mind with these tactics, we need to be mentally prepared for such tactics (altering our play only as necessary), referees also need to be prepared to stop it from the start with an early warning, we need to retaliate in a similar fashion (not be clumsy about it), and finally, we should consider adding it to our repertoire for matches against top sides (if the referees are not going to prevent it).

In the second half, MU did not clatter us as much. We were move active, but it felt like the ball was unluckily just always out of our reach.

I disagree, I felt like the first half was fairly even with both sides having decent spells of possession but not really creating anything. Second half I felt like we were really struggling to control the game or have any real possession. Their goal came from a pretty sustained spell of United pressure and I knew that goal was coming and felt that Wenger needed to make a sub and try to have a bit more possession and territory than we were having.
One of the people in charge of the Mafia forum.
Telleo wrote:The mafia forum, to them,
Sir SJG's known as a gem,
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (908)
All-game rating: (899)
Timezone: GMT

Postby sjg11 » 20 Nov 2016, 16:18

Carebear wrote:
sjg11 wrote:I also feel like this game shows why Caz at CDM is crucial to our attack in these games. We needed Santi today.

Granted, he may have been a better choice than Elneny had he been available. But, he wasn't and frankly I am not terribly impressed with Cazorla in that position. IIRC, he played the full match at Burnley and we had a similar issue, only winning in the very last moments on a goal that likely should have been disallowed.

Personally I disagree with this position and I feel that the last two games show why I dislike the El Neny/Coquelin partnership. We become incapable of controlling the game or of keeping possession, an issue we don't have when Santi plays CDM. And I have no clue why El Neny ever starts over Xhaka, Xhaka offers as much defensively and a hell of a lot more offensively than El Neny does. By the way is it El Neny or Elneny?
The first thing that comes to mind is something that I have mentioned before, namely that Wenger lacks flexibility when creating lineups. Everyone knew how 'Boro would play. I think we should have put Elneny as the sole DM, moved Walcott upfront with Sanchez, and had Ox start on the wings, 4-1-3-2.

For that game this could have been a smart idea.
The second thing that comes to mind is fatigue. Maybe we needed to risk a bit more against Ludogorets and had more squad rotation. This could be one of the reasons for the statuesque performance and not tactical naivete.

This also applies to the United game, particularly for Sanchez after an international break.
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Postby V » 21 Nov 2016, 17:13

I see the Gunners dominate the thread so far. My team are not worth discussing, but I have a more general question to raise for comment. Why not use technology for refereeing benefits?
It is the richest league in the richest sport in the world & we accommodate ancient officiating methods. I watched Soke v Bournemouth on Saturday & if Stoke had got lucky with any kind of result it would have been daylight robbery, but we muddle along.
The refs are probably as good as they get, but that's the point. We aren't going to make progress believing there are better refs sitting waiting to be employed by the a Premier League. We have two guys running up and down waving flags, who would be better equipped with monitors & microphones. There is another with a silly illuminated board who spends most of his time pacifying managers about bad decisions! Unbelievable really.
What do folks think about a total rethink on this issue? Rugby did it successfully. FIFA are dinosaurs in my opinion (& corrupt ones)
Platinum Classicist
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
V

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1718
All-game rating: 1754
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby sjg11 » 21 Nov 2016, 23:55

I agree with you Senlac. Basically institute video refereeing for offsides, red cards and any decisions in the penalty area. With all other decisions just let the referee manage the game to maintain a good flow to the game.
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Postby sjg11 » 21 Nov 2016, 23:56

And by all means feel free to discuss other teams here. We Gooners aren't completely blinkered.
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Postby V » 22 Nov 2016, 02:44

Sadly my West a Ham are struggling following an awful closed season. If you don't improve, your actually going backwards, without realising it:-)
Tore, Calleri, Zaza, Arbeloa, Masuaku, Nordtveit, Ayer (don't really know yet) nothing gained from any of them.
Carroll no change in fitness. Kids not really getting much of a chance, Oxford, Fletcher etc.
We have a half decent first 11, with an awful bench & a long Nov/Dec ahead before it can feasibly be fixed. If not next summer in reality. Gotta dump another bunch of deadwood now & start yet again.
Will be a long fight against the drop zone, with Payet, Lanzini, Antonio Kouyate, Reid, Cresswell saving us from relegation only to become transfer targets for better clubs.
I fancy this summer will be remembered as one where West a Ham's fortunes took a bad turn. London Stadium is awful, with promises of retractable seating coming nowhere near producing a football stadium. If I was still in UK attending live games I'd rather watch the kids play at the Dag & Red stadium. We have enough talent for a possibly bright future & Slaven Bilic is class, but as usual a West Ham blew an opportunity to compete with the best on a day to day basis.
Platinum Classicist
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
V

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1718
All-game rating: 1754
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby sjg11 » 23 Nov 2016, 15:23

Of your signings:
Tore's young and has potential.
Ayew's a decent signing but has just been injured so far.
Nordtveit's a pretty solid player as is Feghouli

Masuaku and Zaza have been abysmal though and I'm not really sure why you signed Arbeloa or Calleri.

Combined with the core of last year's squad and you'll be fine this season.

Next season's a different matter, if you sell players you are going to need to invest in better replacements. Which is often tough.
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Postby sjg11 » 27 Nov 2016, 18:14

Very important win today. Not the best performance but we march on.

Southampton in the League Cup in midweek. Not a game I particularly care about but it would be nice to get to the semis.

Given their form so far this season, West Ham away is another very important match. Need to get a win from there.
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Previous