Premier League 2016-17

Anything you want to talk about.

Premier League 2016-17

Postby sjg11 » 11 Aug 2016, 17:51

Sorry that I'm slightly late putting this year's thread/predictions up. Slightly less in depth than normal this year:
1. Manchester United
2. Manchester City
3. Arsenal
4. Chelsea
5. Spurs
6. Leicester
7. Liverpool
8. Everton (if they keep Lukaku)
9. West Ham
10. Southampton
11. Stoke
12. Crystal Palace
13. Swansea
14. Watford
15. Middlesbrough
16. West Brom
17. Bournemouth
18. Sunderland
19. Burnley
20. Hull City
One of the people in charge of the Mafia forum.
Telleo wrote:The mafia forum, to them,
Sir SJG's known as a gem,
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (908)
All-game rating: (899)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Premier League 2016-17

Postby V » 12 Aug 2016, 01:10

Once again, I admire your dedication to predict all 20 positions.

Overall I agree, though as a West Ham supporter it pains me to say Spurs may be title contenders, rather than 5th. I hope West Ham get up to about 6th, top 4 would be dreamland. I think Watford may struggle this year & be relegation candidates, giving Burnley a shot at survival with luck, COYI.

Senlac
Platinum Classicist
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
V

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1718
All-game rating: 1754
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby super_dipsy » 12 Aug 2016, 06:34

I don't have too many grumbles about your list, but I think you may be over-rating Koeman's powers; I would be very surprised to see Everton above West Ham and Southampton. Although he is a great manager, the problems at Everton run deep in my opinion. I am also a little dubious about the other Mersey club. Again, great manager, but Liverpool have consistently found ways to disappoint over the last few years and I am not sure I see them throwing this off. I agree that if things finally start to turn for them then it has the ingredients to be successful, but I am just not sure of the team spirit there at the moment.

Apart from that, I can see two other possibilities this year. Leicester were fabulous last season but in all honesty they were pretty lucky with injuries. If they are less lucky this year I think they may be in the bottom half. And my final adjustment would be (dare I say) Arsenal. The Wenger magic seems to have faded a bit, and I wonder if we may see Arsenal experience the same sort of nightmare this season as Chelsea had last year. Unlikely, I admit, but with big and successful clubs like Arsenal if things take a bit of a bad turn early in the season they could find their confidence and the pressure of the crowd getting to them. I think Arsenal have grown rather brittle in terms of confidence, and I could easily imagine such a situation snowballing. Class will always show in the end, but I see an untypical season blip as a real possibility prior to the appointment of a new manager.
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 931

Postby sjg11 » 12 Aug 2016, 11:22

Senlac wrote:Once again, I admire your dedication to predict all 20 positions.

Overall I agree, though as a West Ham supporter it pains me to say Spurs may be title contenders, rather than 5th. I hope West Ham get up to about 6th, top 4 would be dreamland. I think Watford may struggle this year & be relegation candidates, giving Burnley a shot at survival with luck, COYI.

Senlac

I don't think Watford will go down this season. Their defence is as good as Burnley's and Sunderland's while they have a better midfield and forward line. I'm assuming Hull are doomed given the pre-season they've had.

Spurs could easily be title contenders. I think any of the top 6 could be title contenders.
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Postby sjg11 » 12 Aug 2016, 11:27

super_dipsy wrote:I don't have too many grumbles about your list, but I think you may be over-rating Koeman's powers; I would be very surprised to see Everton above West Ham and Southampton. Although he is a great manager, the problems at Everton run deep in my opinion. I am also a little dubious about the other Mersey club. Again, great manager, but Liverpool have consistently found ways to disappoint over the last few years and I am not sure I see them throwing this off. I agree that if things finally start to turn for them then it has the ingredients to be successful, but I am just not sure of the team spirit there at the moment.

Apart from that, I can see two other possibilities this year. Leicester were fabulous last season but in all honesty they were pretty lucky with injuries. If they are less lucky this year I think they may be in the bottom half. And my final adjustment would be (dare I say) Arsenal. The Wenger magic seems to have faded a bit, and I wonder if we may see Arsenal experience the same sort of nightmare this season as Chelsea had last year. Unlikely, I admit, but with big and successful clubs like Arsenal if things take a bit of a bad turn early in the season they could find their confidence and the pressure of the crowd getting to them. I think Arsenal have grown rather brittle in terms of confidence, and I could easily imagine such a situation snowballing. Class will always show in the end, but I see an untypical season blip as a real possibility prior to the appointment of a new manager.

I'm probably overrating Everton a little bit. I may put them below West Ham and maybe Southampton and Stoke before the end of today.

Agreed on Liverpool. I don't think their team's very good this season. Yet you have a lot of pundits discussing them as a shoe-in for the top 4 and potential title contenders. To be honest, I don't really understand why Liverpool are so highly rated this season. I feel sorry for Klopp, I can see this season turning sour for him because of other people's unrealistic expectations.

Leicester have added really well to their squad and have added depth to it. I've been impressed by their signings and it makes me think that they're going to have another very good season.

The confidence thing I can't argue with. Arsenal's worst enemy is often themselves. But this isn't exactly new and it's never stopped us finishing in the top 4 before. Plus, we're probably only a CB and a ST away from having a really, really strong squad. Mustafi's probably coming in (although it's not certain yet) which would sort out the CB issue. The reason I put us third is that I think United and City will be in a title race this year while I think Arsenal have a very good chance of being in a title race even without a striker. It's the persistent mentality issue which is why I rate our chances below the two Manchester clubs.
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Postby sjg11 » 12 Aug 2016, 12:34

Predictions for the Opening Weekend
Hull 0-2 Leicester
Middlesbrough 1-0 Stoke
Burnley 0-0 Swansea
Crystal Palace 1-0 West Brom
Everton 1-3 Spurs
Southampton 2-0 Watford
City 3-0 Sunderland
Bournemouth 1-2 United
Arsenal 2-1 Liverpool
Chelsea 1-0 West Ham
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Postby M3R » 12 Aug 2016, 12:37

So my predictions are:
1. Manchester City
2. Manchester United
3. Chelsea
4. Spurs
5. Arsenal
6. Leicester
7. Liverpool
8. Everton
9. West Ham
10. Southampton
11. Stoke
12. Swansea
13. Crystal Palace
14. Sunderland
15. Watford
16. Bournemouth
17. Middlesbrough
18. West Brom
19. Burnley
20. Hull City
M3R

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1274)
All-game rating: (1289)

Postby Carebear » 16 Aug 2016, 05:57

I said we needed a solid veteran CB last year, with all the injuries we now need two!

We acquired a young pup. :shock:

With almost Swiss watch-like precision, Wenger does just enough to win our Champions League participation trophy every year. Is this finally the year it all goes awry?
You can have my last supply center, when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

Spam Ambassador Wannabe

Officially Sanctioned Site Gadfly (meaning the negative kind of sanction)
Carebear

Standard rating: (1573)
All-game rating: (1589)
Timezone: GMT+8

Postby sjg11 » 17 Aug 2016, 14:35

Carebear wrote:I said we needed a solid veteran CB last year, with all the injuries we now need two!

We acquired a young pup. :shock:

With almost Swiss watch-like precision, Wenger does just enough to win our Champions League participation trophy every year. Is this finally the year it all goes awry?

Yeah Mert and Gab both deciding to be hit by a long-term injury at the same time is intensely frustrating and is surely the start of the Annual Arsenal Injury Crisis.

When I left England a few days ago it looked like Mustafi was really close to signing. I really hope that doesn't fall through because of penny-pinching on our part because we really, really need a CB.
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Postby Carebear » 17 Aug 2016, 15:36

Mert's pace has been an issue. Smart as he plays, it does not mitigate speed.

Gabriel is just not up to the required level yet.

The acquisitions of Sanchez, Ozil, and Cech have helped the team retain its consistent high level of performance. As the other big clubs faltered, it was finally our chance to win the championship. However, the lack of signing a quality CB or any other out-field player last year to seize the opportunity shows the lack of desire by the club to drive for the championship.

The above acquisitions only allowed us to maintain our position, not push forward to a championship. Is it Wenger or the board that is holding us back from bringing in the multiple veterans that we need to balance the quality to become the best?
You can have my last supply center, when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

Spam Ambassador Wannabe

Officially Sanctioned Site Gadfly (meaning the negative kind of sanction)
Carebear

Standard rating: (1573)
All-game rating: (1589)
Timezone: GMT+8

Next

Return to Off-topic