Alternative History Story

Anything you want to talk about.

Alternative History Story

Postby anaupr » 11 Apr 2015, 04:32

Okay, I'm trying to write a story where a lot of the Reformation and Counter-Reformation doesn't happen because Martin Luther takes back his statements like the Vatican wanted him to. Henry VIII still splits off to form the Anglican church, and eventually a ton of stuff goes down and the Vatican creates an empire that controls about a third to half of the world. Anyway, I need help, a lot of it. The story takes place in somewhat future times, technology is more advanced, and the Vatican is at war with Great Britain, who only controls England, Scotland, and Wales. Right now the Vatican is landing a small number of troops near where one of my main characters (admittedly, my only character so far) is on guard duty. Anyone have any ideas?
anaupr

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (924)
All-game rating: (928)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Alternative History Story

Postby ruffdove » 11 Apr 2015, 05:59

Interesting idea. So England and its colonies and the Eastern Orthodox are the only Christians opposing Rome? Did the Eastern Orthodox mirror the political retention of power that Rome pulled off?

You suggest that Ireland is in the Catholic alliance by not mentioning it as part of what England controls. Might be more interesting if England does control Ireland creating a significant UK population of potential Fifth Columnists. Would also be interesting what the more political authoritative Catholic church would mean to an immigrant country like the USA.

Honestly, if the Reformation largely never happened on the Continent, the Enlightenment may not have happened or been delayed. Would stand to reason that the UK would enjoy a technological advantage over the Continent.

It's late - those were my initial thoughts. Good luck.
ruffdove

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1515
All-game rating: 1579
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby jonisilk » 11 Apr 2015, 06:05

Hi anaupr,

Sounds like an interesting "what if" premise.

Have you mapped out the key historical differences between this and our timeline? This is a great way to develop back-story for your characters, helping you understand their motivations better.

Who is your main character and is s/he a big player in the story, or more of a pawn in a bigger story.

Firstly, why are the troops landing - is it an open act of war, or (as it's a small group) is it reconnaissance/espionage/a hit squad? Are there collaborators?

Just a few thoughts to mull over, hopefully gives you something to work with.

Good luck :)
The enemies of my enemies are not necessarily my friend, but they may still be useful.

Member of the Classicists.
jonisilk

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1312)
All-game rating: (1427)

Postby anaupr » 11 Apr 2015, 06:42

Thanks guys. I have a lot more to think about now. Obviously this story is still in its infancy, as in it was born about four hours ago. Right now my main character is a descendant of Edward Seymour, the first Duke of Somerset. Look him up if you want. He was beheaded for treason or something like that. The attackers are a hit squad. Still working on the other historical differences, thinking the Vatican had a major role in World War 2, majority of its expansion came around that time.
anaupr

Postby PatCleburne » 11 Apr 2015, 10:04

Three quick questions: Did the French Revolution/Napoleon happen? Did Bismarck and the unification of Germany happen? Did the Ottoman conquest of Constantinople/Egypt/Syria happen?
- "As between the loss of independence and the loss of slavery, we assume that every patriot will freely give up the latter — give up the negro slave rather than be a slave himself." Patrick Cleburne, 1864.
PatCleburne

Standard rating: (1161)
All-game rating: (1492)
Timezone: GMT+2

Postby jakofipa » 11 Apr 2015, 11:35

Another good point would be how long has this war been going on for? Is it a new thing or has it been around a long time?

You say that WWII was when the church gained most of its power, and this is set in the future, so I assume it has been going on for quite some time? Also, is the Vatican at war with any other major powers?
Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Bronze member of the Classicist club
Member of the Students club
jakofipa

Standard rating: (961)
All-game rating: (1030)

Postby Peanut » 11 Apr 2015, 12:01

Interesting, if the Vatican formed the dominant Empire of the last few centuries, then I assume that the British Empire didn't happen? Would this mean that most of the Americas (including North Amarica) became a Spanish colony/protectorate and Canada stayed French?
Youth & Talent are no match for Age & Treachery
Let your relationships with the other players drive your strategy, not the other way around.
Ambassador & Platinum Member of the Classicists
Peanut

Location: Tiptree (where jam comes from), Essex. England (orig Lutterworth, Leics - where Jet Engine invented)
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1148)
All-game rating: (1381)

Postby anaupr » 11 Apr 2015, 16:26

Im thinking of changing the time of the story to present day. Obviously there will be huge differences in technology between the nations. As for the Vatican's war with England, it's been going on for a long time but there isnt much action. They mostly just stare at each other across the channel. What would have happened to the Holy Roman Empire?
anaupr

Return to Off-topic