2015 MLB Discussion + Home Run Challenge

Anything you want to talk about.

Re: 2014 MLB Discussion + Home Run Challenge

Postby Rolan A Doobie » 21 May 2014, 16:50

The O wrote:I was watching that Cubs/Yankees game and had to turn it off midway. I was so disgusted by what I was seeing. Obviously the chubs are a total joke of a franchise, but even this was just too much for me to take. First off, two safety squeezes back to back? Coach needs to be fined for that. If they were suicide squeezes, I'd be OK with it (even if failed). But safety? Weak. Then Lake took this weird bunt/swing at a pitch. It was terrible even for a high school player, but for a big league player to do it was just embarrassing. Then when he got back to the dug out, his teammates were fist bumping and smiling and laughing about it. The manager (that guy who has zero experience at the big league level) should have instantly benched him and started throwing things around the dugout to make a statement. It's bad enough that we've gone from the 3rd highest payroll to the 23rd highest in just 3 years. But to watch this pathetic excuse of a team not even act like professional baseball players and laughing about their sad play is just too much for me to take.
PS - I almost forgot, Lake in his first AB got called out on strikes on the outside edge. He turned and argued with the ump about the call. He is basically a rookie and he is arguing a borderline pitch? These guys need a clue (and Ryan Sandberg).
Rant over (for now)

I think I disagree with pretty much all of this.

You can't get angry watching the Cubs right now. If you do, you are watching their games all wrong.

And the last goddamned thing we need is Sandberg. Great player, but I don't want anything to do with his "play the game the right way" archaic horseshit. That's like 10 steps in the wrong direction.
Some of you I know, some of you I'm meeting for the first time...
Rolan A Doobie

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby The O » 21 May 2014, 16:56

I'm watching the game the wrong way? Oh yeah... I should expect bad defense, uninspired pitching and the worst hitting offense I've probably ever seen. I should be content to know that they have a few minor league players that are sort of close to being as good as say the Astros young players (I'd take me some Springer, Singleton and Castro over any of guys save for maybe Baez). We need Rhino's play the game the right way attitude so that ummm maybe we'd actually play the right way.
And don't even get me started on Wrigley.
;)
The O

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (953)
All-game rating: (885)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Rolan A Doobie » 21 May 2014, 17:10

I understand your anger. I really do. I used to have it all through the 90's at those shiteating rosters. You gotta go in with no expectations.

And you know what never, ever, ever, ever, ever helped? Playing the game the "right way". There's no such thing. It's a vague notion, a ghost of an idea....something to point at when a team is losing.

And long term....Springer and Castro should be very good. Singleton is actually looking to me like he's going to take the Adam Dunn route and become a 3-true-outcome guy. I'm still happier with our group of Bryant/Baez/Almora/Alcantara/Soler.

Yes, the Cubs suck right now. They'll probably suck for most/all of next year too. They all know this. They can suck and be all dour and gloomy about it....or they can suck and try to have some fun along the way. I'd choose the second option, because why wouldn't you if you actually got to play baseball for a career?
Rolan A Doobie

Postby Rolan A Doobie » 21 May 2014, 18:50

Miguel Olivo apparently went Full-Tyson on teammate Alex Guerrero down in Albuquerque. There doesn't seem to be any video (at least not yet), but there's a whole string of pictures that show very little detail, so there's that.
Rolan A Doobie

Postby The O » 21 May 2014, 19:04

Or they could have signed some talent and given it a shot. It's not like we're Miami drawing 12,000 people a game. There are 38,000+ going to see these fools. Nelson Cruz was begging to go to a team... so were many mid-tier SPs. It seemed to me that signing Ruggiano, Hamel, and Veras was a slap in the face. We could have instantly competed by signing guys like Beltran, Cano, Cruz, Morneau, Granderson, Choo, or Morse (I know some of these guys have sucked this year, but at least it would have been trying) or even getting the good Cuban players like Abreu or Puig. And I'm not OK with them lying to me about trying to sign Tanaka when it was clear that they had zero intention to compete anytime soon.
I'm just at my limit. If it was $20 to go to a game and a few more for some decent beer and food, I'd be OK with them sucking. For them to ask full blown ticket prices and then charge $7 for a Bud and more for some stale ass hot dog is getting to me. If I wanted to watch a AAA team, I'd go to a AAA game.
The O

Postby Rolan A Doobie » 21 May 2014, 19:17

The O wrote:We could have instantly competed by signing guys like Beltran, Cano, Cruz, Morneau, Granderson, Choo, or Morse (I know some of these guys have sucked this year, but at least it would have been trying) or even getting the good Cuban players like Abreu or Puig. And I'm not OK with them lying to me about trying to sign Tanaka when it was clear that they had zero intention to compete anytime soon.

No. It would have been the appearance of trying. It would have been the same damn shit that I'm beyond my limit of, slapping lipstick on a turd and pretending it's a contender. It's what we did with Soriano and Fukudome and Lilly. Putting "names" on the roster to make the people reading the sports pages happy. It's bullshit and I'm glad they aren't doing it anymore, with people precisely like Tanaka. Signing him would have been repeating the same mistakes, and I'm fine with them lying to you and everyone else about it.

I'm just at my limit. If it was $20 to go to a game and a few more for some decent beer and food, I'd be OK with them sucking. For them to ask full blown ticket prices and then charge $7 for a Bud and more for some stale ass hot dog is getting to me. If I wanted to watch a AAA team, I'd go to a AAA game.

Then don't go. I haven't been to Wrigley for a long while myself, and I've suffered through enough fake attempts at rebuilding that I'm happy to see someone actually doing it. Doesn't mean I have to spend a dime on them while they do it.
Rolan A Doobie

Postby The O » 21 May 2014, 20:25

Yeah - I don't give them my cash anymore. I'll hit up a roof top once or twice a year (and that's free to me). Last year I did buy a $10 bleacher seat and I overpaid for that. Besides, I now HATE Wrigley (I used to love that place). I will say that it is fun to go down to the hood and hang during game day.
The O

Postby McGiles » 21 May 2014, 22:55

I mean, I'm pretty sure that Span hasn't hit a HR yet this year and has I'm guessing he's got less than 25 for his career. But if you got a hunch he's due....I love to see a bold pick like that.

Span just got his first homerun of the year today. So I guess he was due, just a couple days too late for it to count as a point.
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand hexadecimal, and F the rest...
McGiles

Standard rating: (943)
All-game rating: (1074)

Postby Stoud » 22 May 2014, 00:13

URK... Looks like my gut wasn't too bad, just a little early. Bad gut! Bad! And I've been busy so I won't pick this week, sorry.
Lagasia FCYOC. You should join!
Regalia Spain in CYOC. Maybe join.
Russia in Crowded Othello. If you don't see a Russia anywhere, it's a typo. You should be a reserve!
A player in Mafia. You should join a game!
Hmm, you wouldn't ques my IQ right if you tried.
Stoud

Standard rating: (941)
All-game rating: (943)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Rolan A Doobie » 22 May 2014, 02:19

Rolan A Doobie

PreviousNext

Return to Off-topic