Bad Movies

Anything you want to talk about.

Bad Movies

Postby I Love Italy » 03 Feb 2014, 01:30

So I have two questions for anyone who is willing to answer them.

1st: What is the most incompetently made movie you have ever seen? This does not mean that you thought the movie was horrible, just that it was badly made.

2nd: What is your favorite (if any) "so bad it's good" movie?

My answers:
1: Manos, the Hands of Fate. Anyone who has seen this movie can attest to its absolute horrendousness in every regard. However, I did find the movie quite enjoyable, mostly due to the um... unique :lol: performance from John Reynolds as Torgo.

2: Troll 2. Many would claim it's the worst movie ever made, but I found it hilarious. The dialogue is singularly badly written, and horribly spoken. The plot is stupid. The special affects are laughably bad. And then, there's the scene. Yes that scene. For anyone who doesn't know what the heck I'm talking about, here's a link to the Youtube clip of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJHCc9MtKRQ.
I have special eyes.
I Love Italy

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1041)
All-game rating: (1059)
Timezone: GMT-8

Re: Bad Movies

Postby Rolan A Doobie » 03 Feb 2014, 01:36

There's 40 seconds of gold here....but really, you only need the first 25.

In order:

The nearest painting on the fireplace lands on the camera.
The prop tv almost slides off the stand as he goes to pick it up.
Despite hearing the window break, there's no broken glass on the sidewalk when the tv hits.
"Aahggrarabuallauuahhh"

As for the second question, "Big Trouble In Little China" is a shit movie, but it's still great.
Rolan A Doobie

All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby jayahr » 03 Feb 2014, 01:52

It's easy to make fun of old movies (e.g. Plan 9...) but when the picture is recent the incompetence is even more distressing.

There have been three types of crappy movies released recently:

- the unlikely combination of two bad things (Sharknado, Stonado, Avalanche Sharks...) - I tried watching for a bit expecting them to be campy and hilarious, but they were serious! (except when it came to script, acting, direction, special effects, cinematography...)

- rip-offs of (relatively) successful movies using similar names (e.g. Atlantic Rim instead of Pacific Rim)

- "apocalypse of the week" - the list is too long, and the scientific basis is so remote and incoherently applied that you can forget the title and just enjoy (or not) the people running and screaming

Unfortunately, the proliferation of movie channels on cable and satellite has given these cretinous timewasters a distribution channel.

Perhaps the question should be "has anyone seen a genuinely good movie lately" - but you probably would not get any replies.

Geez, I must be grumpy today. :x
... I'm all outa gum.
jayahr

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1052)
All-game rating: (1608)

Postby I Love Italy » 03 Feb 2014, 02:02

jayahr wrote:It's easy to make fun of old movies (e.g. Plan 9...) but when the picture is recent the incompetence is even more distressing.

There have been three types of crappy movies released recently:

- the unlikely combination of two bad things (Sharknado, Stonado, Avalanche Sharks...) - I tried watching for a bit expecting them to be campy and hilarious, but they were serious! (except when it came to script, acting, direction, special effects, cinematography...)

- rip-offs of (relatively) successful movies using similar names (e.g. Atlantic Rim instead of Pacific Rim)

- "apocalypse of the week" - the list is too long, and the scientific basis is so remote and incoherently applied that you can forget the title and just enjoy (or not) the people running and screaming

Unfortunately, the proliferation of movie channels on cable and satellite has given these cretinous timewasters a distribution channel.

Perhaps the question should be "has anyone seen a genuinely good movie lately" - but you probably would not get any replies.

Geez, I must be grumpy today. :x

Hey both versions of Apocalypse Now are on Netflix streaming right now (I think). Actually planning on watching that soon. The thing about B-movies though, is that they are so unintentionally hilarious, or intentionally (i.e. Dead Snow). I always get a laugh out of them, which I can't say about actually good movies. Who ever laughed at the last scene of the Godfather pt. 2? If anyone says yes, I will know for all of eternity that you are something of a pshycopath.
I have special eyes.
I Love Italy

Postby Rolan A Doobie » 03 Feb 2014, 02:11

I'm not sure B-movies is the right term anymore. I mean, Pacific Rim was a B-movie in every respect except the budget. That's a B-movie story, plot progression, acting, concept, and everything else....it was just made with a few jabillion dollars instead of a few thousand.

I always get a laugh out of them, which I can't say about actually good movies.

It seems like you are suggesting that comedies aren't "actually good"....

Furthermore, it's certainly possible to get a laugh out of a more serious-toned, high-quality movie. Not sure why you are limiting things to just one scene in Godfather 2. See if you can't find a chuckle or two for yourself in this scene...

Rolan A Doobie

Postby I Love Italy » 03 Feb 2014, 02:17

Rolan A Doobie wrote:I'm not sure B-movies is the right term anymore. I mean, Pacific Rim was a B-movie in every respect except the budget. That's a B-movie story, plot progression, acting, concept, and everything else....it was just made with a few jabillion dollars instead of a few thousand.

I always get a laugh out of them, which I can't say about actually good movies.

It seems like you are suggesting that comedies aren't "actually good"....

Furthermore, it's certainly possible to get a laugh out of a more serious, high-quality movie. See if you can't find a chuckle or two for yourself in this scene...

I'm not saying that comedies aren't funny, just that lots of movies considered good are quite serious, for example Lawrence of Arabia. Now sometimes, I just need a laugh. And thanks to the abundance of them on Netflix, lower quality movies are easier to view than many A-grade comedies. I'm not saying that I prefer Troll 2 to Monty Python, just that it's easier to watch, therefore more attractive to me at night after a long day, when I just need something stupid for an hour and a half.
I have special eyes.
I Love Italy

Postby Rolan A Doobie » 03 Feb 2014, 02:28

If your point is just that, relatively speaking, there aren't many truly great comedies....then yeah, that's probably fair.

If I'm going to actually watch a movie, I would prefer to watch a great comedy over a great drama most days of the week.

But when I just want to zone out for 90 minutes and turn my brain off, I generally turn to the action genre, and there's no shortage of shitty action movies either. Just watched the thoroughly painted-by-numbers movie Homefront the other day, because who doesn't like seeing Statham kick a few people's asses from time to time.
Rolan A Doobie

Postby I Love Italy » 03 Feb 2014, 02:38

Rolan A Doobie wrote:If your point is just that, relatively speaking, there aren't many truly great comedies....then yeah, that's probably fair.

If I'm going to actually watch a movie, I would prefer to watch a great comedy over a great drama most days of the week.

But when I just want to zone out for 90 minutes and turn my brain off, I generally turn to the action genre, and there's no shortage of shitty action movies either. Just watched the thoroughly painted-by-numbers movie Homefront the other day, because who doesn't like seeing Statham kick a few people's asses from time to time.

That's exactly my point. Turning my brain off for a movie which is, by all accounts horrible, yet entertains me is just perfect for my mood sometimes. And if that movie also has boatloads of action, all the better.
I have special eyes.
I Love Italy

Postby jonisilk » 03 Feb 2014, 06:04

I think a distinction needs to be made between badly made films, bad films and "guilty pleasures'' - I grew up in a cinema so I have plenty of experience of all three.

There are badly made films, such as The Room, or Sharknado, with little or no budget and/or artistic merit (but cheap does not mean bad - see Reservoir Dogs, Mean Streets, Kids, The Warriors and more)

Then there are bad films, many of which can be well made with high production values and big budgets, but they still suck (think Wolverine, and many more piss-poor summer blockbusters than you can ever hope to forget, despite your best efforts).

However films of both types might be considered guilty pleasure, like the aforementioned Big Trouble in Little China - big dumb cheesy fun that both knows it and enjoys itself with it ("If I'm not back by midnight, call the President."/"It's all in the reflexes", etc).

Or The Postman, which wants to be an epic so much, but falls so short of the mark despite trying so hard (Bad pacing, paper-thin supporting characters).

Or Judge Dredd (the Stallone version, '93) which tries to be Ben-Hur meets Star Wars.

Some films just fail, but that they even tried can sometimes be cause for celebration

A personal favourite of mine is Bad Taste - Peter Jackson's first film - No budget, shot over 4 years with his friends (hair and costume sometimes changes in the same scene). Hardly a classic, but clever, inventive effects and some great humour. Then remind yourself while watching it that this is by the same Oscar winning director of The Lord of the Rings Trilogy!!
The enemies of my enemies are not necessarily my friend, but they may still be useful.

Member of the Classicists.
jonisilk

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1312)
All-game rating: (1427)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Rolan A Doobie » 08 Feb 2014, 22:20

There doesn't seem to be any indication of this movie taking itself seriously....which is a good thing.
Rolan A Doobie

Next

Return to Off-topic