Diplomacy computer game?

Anything you want to talk about.

Re: Diplomacy computer game?

Postby ninjaruler » 13 Nov 2012, 03:26

Wow, you guys sure did want to bump your post count... This thread is over a year old...

But thanks for your responses anyways :)
¸„‹•*¸„‹•*„¸„‹•*•*•›„¸„¸„‹•*;;;:::::.....Ninja.....:::::;;;*•›„¸„¸„‹•*•*•›„¸„*•›„¸*•›„¸
..............*•›„¸*•›„¸„¸„‹•*•*•Mafia/Diplomacy/CYOC‹•*•*•›„¸„¸„‹•*¸„‹•*...............
ninjaruler

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (958)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby diplomat42 » 14 Nov 2012, 05:01

ninjaruler wrote:Wow, you guys sure did want to bump your post count... This thread is over a year old...

But thanks for your responses anyways :)

ITS ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!
Glorious Nation of the Himalaya et.al in CYOC.
Classicist, Whippersnapper.

Generation 32 (The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.)

JOIN CITY-STATES AND ZOMBIES!
IT WILL BE OFF THE CHAIN
diplomat42

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1140)
All-game rating: (1289)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby sjg11 » 17 Nov 2012, 13:59

They made one. It sucked. End of story.
One of the people in charge of the Mafia forum.
Telleo wrote:The mafia forum, to them,
Sir SJG's known as a gem,
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Standard rating: (908)
All-game rating: (899)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Cazm0816 » 15 Apr 2017, 23:41

ninjaruler wrote:Hey! so does anyone know of a diplomacy computer game? I understand that It would be horrible without human players but. I would like to be able to just Practice, ya know? and I figure the best way would be against an AI.
Cazm0816

Standard rating: (855)
All-game rating: (858)

Postby Jegpeg » 19 Apr 2017, 00:46

Carlos05 wrote:
ninjaruler wrote:Hey! so does anyone know of a diplomacy computer game? I understand that It would be horrible without human players but. I would like to be able to just Practice, ya know? and I figure the best way would be against an AI.

Wow what a bump

Year's ago I had a PC game, a google found it available for download here http://www.old-games.com/download/9549/diplomacy
The link also has a review that in summary is "Don't buy this"

Here's my review to go with it.

You can't expect the diplomacy to be great, you can't give reasoning or long term goals but you can offer NAPs DMZs and propose moves (for the next turn only). The problem comes with the way the AI handles it.

Each leader has different "personality" so some will reject everything unless it is "I'll give you a supply centre for nothing" and others might accept a proposal but move as if nothing had been agreed. In essence you couldn't gain anything by negotiations as any reasonable offer would either be rejected or ignored. They can also be annoyingly persistent with their stupid proposals (If you are England, France might suggest you move London to North Sea and he moves from the Channel to London, if you reject it he will propose exactly the same thing 60 seconds later and again 60 seconds after that).

The game was still easy to win however because their tactics were so bad you could still get the solo.

I suppose it could be useful for a beginner to improve understanding of the impact of the moves and simple tactics but only in a Gunboat way, sending negotiation is a waste of time and you can just ignore anything sent to you, but Sjg's summary was accurate. It sucked..
Jegpeg

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1125)
All-game rating: (1401)

Postby Jack007 » 19 Apr 2017, 10:05

I remember, years ago, there was one tiny Diplomacy program originally for the Atari. There was a DOS version, too. It was astonishingly good for gunboat games, you hardly could ever win, but I think the AI was cheating by calculating its moves from what you ordered, or so.

But anyway, this little program was of great use for shorthanded games, as it had a hot seat mode for any number of players (1 to 7), replacing the missing with AI logic. And of course you could use it simply as an adjudicator. I never found a mistake of the adjudicator's decisions.
Jack007 (xxxx.) unbanned for dubious reasons
Member of the Honorables
There is no greater solitude than the samurai's,
unless it be that of the tiger in the jungle… perhaps…
-bushido
Jack007
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1410
All-game rating: 1685
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby Goldain » 09 May 2017, 06:57

If you want to practice with live people (after all you don't just want to practice the tactical move which are about 30% of the game but you want to practice diplomacy which is 70% at least) then just do a lot of norank games. You can practice all you want without it tanking your rating, and when you feel you are ready you can start stepping into more ranked games.
Goldain

Standard rating: (1194)
All-game rating: (1233)

Postby Iggy » 09 May 2017, 16:56

I actually referenced this in the chat window the other day and just happened to see this... The site below has a reasonably good version of the game you can play against an AI. You download the server and the the "albert ai". You can then run 6 versions of the ai linked into a game with yourself being the 7th player.

You can supposedly interact with the AI with some rudimentary negotiations. I never tried to do that much but have run several gun boat games - namely when I got the bug to play again and hadn't played for awhile. It helped "knock the rust off" a bit before I got into a live game.

https://sites.google.com/site/diplomacyai/
Iggy

Standard rating: (1187)
All-game rating: (1259)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Jack007 » 09 May 2017, 23:07

Yes, this is a project to develop a Diplomacy AI, espec. for "negotiations" with the AI. The negotiation part is still far away from being suitable, but you can play gunboat or shorthanded games. But it crashes often and the reset is a mess.
Anyway, it's all open source, and the public is invited to help in developing.
Jack007 (xxxx.) unbanned for dubious reasons
Member of the Honorables
There is no greater solitude than the samurai's,
unless it be that of the tiger in the jungle… perhaps…
-bushido
Jack007
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1410
All-game rating: 1685
Timezone: GMT+1

Previous

Return to Off-topic