Diplomacy computer game?

Anything you want to talk about.

Diplomacy computer game?

Postby ninjaruler » 10 Sep 2011, 05:42

Hey! so does anyone know of a diplomacy computer game? I understand that It would be horrible without human players but. I would like to be able to just Practice, ya know? and I figure the best way would be against an AI.
¸„‹•*¸„‹•*„¸„‹•*•*•›„¸„¸„‹•*;;;:::::.....Ninja.....:::::;;;*•›„¸„¸„‹•*•*•›„¸„*•›„¸*•›„¸
..............*•›„¸*•›„¸„¸„‹•*•*•Mafia/Diplomacy/CYOC‹•*•*•›„¸„¸„‹•*¸„‹•*...............
ninjaruler

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (958)
Timezone: GMT-8

Re: Diplomacy computer game?

Postby namedaccount » 10 Sep 2011, 05:55

There have been a few. The only one I can think of off hand is the one by Paradox Interactive (and the AI for that was, as you predict, [in]famously terrible), but I think there was at least one more recent one as well.

Either way though, that's probably not the most efficient way to improve your play. Negotiation can obviously only be improved by interaction with fellow humans, and strategy & tactics could probably be most quickly improved by just gaining a clear and full understanding of the rules of the game and reading a few guides on the subject - I really don't think you'd gain that much by learning to exploit whatever quirks the AI of a given game might possess, which is probably what would happen.
namedaccount

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1636)
All-game rating: (1637)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby marsman57 » 10 Sep 2011, 05:55

This link might start you down the right path:
http://sites.google.com/site/diplomacyai/home
marsman57

Standard rating: 1118
All-game rating: 1128
Timezone: GMT

Postby ninjaruler » 10 Sep 2011, 05:58

marsman57 wrote:This link might start you down the right path:
http://sites.google.com/site/diplomacyai/home

I saw that but I have a mac so it didn't really work...
¸„‹•*¸„‹•*„¸„‹•*•*•›„¸„¸„‹•*;;;:::::.....Ninja.....:::::;;;*•›„¸„¸„‹•*•*•›„¸„*•›„¸*•›„¸
..............*•›„¸*•›„¸„¸„‹•*•*•Mafia/Diplomacy/CYOC‹•*•*•›„¸„¸„‹•*¸„‹•*...............
ninjaruler

Postby slippydippy » 10 Sep 2011, 06:01

An ai, insofar as it will give you any practice at all, will train you in completely the wrong way. I advise against.
CyberneticSally.
SympatheticSally.
If you spot a perfect pink pixie keeping to herself in the corner of the map, you're in luck: at last you have found someone you can trust.
slippydippy

All-game rating: 39
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby ninjaruler » 10 Sep 2011, 06:33

slippydippy wrote:An ai, insofar as it will give you any practice at all, will train you in completely the wrong way. I advise against.
CyberneticSally.

thanks. I will remember htat,
ninjaruler

Postby Xorg » 10 Sep 2011, 17:12

I've played all of them - they are all universally terrible. This is by the far best implementation of the game I have seen to date.
Xorg

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (948)
All-game rating: (910)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby PapaGeek » 06 Nov 2012, 17:46

I started playing Diplomacy in 1970 while in the Army. I do have a DVD at home that you load on your PC to play diplomacy against the computer.

As stated, it is nowhere near as good as the real thing, but it does let you practice.

If you do make stupid moves, the computer will beat you!
PapaGeek

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Dar Krum » 06 Nov 2012, 18:00

ninjaruler wrote:
slippydippy wrote:An ai, insofar as it will give you any practice at all, will train you in completely the wrong way. I advise against.
CyberneticSally.

thanks. I will remember htat,

I have to go with CyberneticSally on this one. Practice like you intend to play is what the coach says.
Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been,...If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods,...will have lived a noble life and live on in the memories of your loved ones. - Marcus Aurelius
Dar Krum

Standard rating: (1164)
All-game rating: (1115)
Timezone: GMT-4

Postby Petunia » 06 Nov 2012, 22:07

Honestly, years and years ago when I first started playing but knew very few people who played, I had the DPJudge software on my computer and I would just set up scenarios and run through them playing all the powers myself. Found (and did a lot to eliminate) quite a few of my tactical blind spots that way. Sort of lame, but effective.
Any views expressed prior to Dec 2013 are solely my own and do not represent the site or its administration in any way.
I took a break from the site for a while. I'm back now. Hi.
Platinum Classicist
Petunia

Standard rating: (1583)
All-game rating: (1571)

Next

Return to Off-topic