On Friendship and Gratitude

Anything you want to talk about.

Re: On Friendship and Gratitude

Postby Custer » 02 Dec 2020, 23:58

Markin me turf......

;)

Custer
First..........get off my lawn! Second........it's a dashing self portrait! Courtesy of The Craw. Third.....I am still SHIV, Keeper of the Stone Tablets! Go Pack! And behold the power of cheese! And one more thing. Say ya to da U.P. eh!
Custer
Premium Member

Location: Sailing somewhere in Da U.P. in Da Whitehawk and an original Yooper!
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1033
All-game rating: 1127
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Audacia » 03 Dec 2020, 15:25

@Custer – I hoped you would chime in ;) . It’s lonely being a Yooper, isn’t it? But we have good company in one another. If we were ever able to find 5 others for F2F Dip, I’ll make the pasties.

I’ve done the side by side comparison: Scotland vs. the UP (and vs. Michigan). Here’s what I found:

Scotland: 30,081 sq miles - 5.45M people
Michigan’s UP: 16,377 sq miles – 311,361 people
Michigan (both peninsulas): 96,716 sq miles – 9.987M people

Scotland has 10 times the population density of Michigan’s UP, and twice the population density of Michigan overall. Probably a great place to visit, but could a Michigan girl 8-) ever truly leave?

Again everyone, have a great December. Thanks for the delightful banter.

Audacia
Audacia
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1015
All-game rating: 1000
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Custer » 03 Dec 2020, 16:27

Pasties! Thats what I'm talking about! Love 'em. I would travel just about anywhere for pasties and Diplomacy.

I like the solitude of the U.P.. Great place to hide during pandemics although we have our share here.

Everyone have an awesome Christmas and December. And a fantastic 2021!

Once a Yooper always a Yooper,

Custer
First..........get off my lawn! Second........it's a dashing self portrait! Courtesy of The Craw. Third.....I am still SHIV, Keeper of the Stone Tablets! Go Pack! And behold the power of cheese! And one more thing. Say ya to da U.P. eh!
Custer
Premium Member

Location: Sailing somewhere in Da U.P. in Da Whitehawk and an original Yooper!
Standard rating: 1033
All-game rating: 1127
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Woolgie » 03 Dec 2020, 19:01

There’s two peninsulars in Michigan?

*checks map*

Oh I thought that was Wisconsin :oops:

And they eat pasties there? If only I could afford, or legally get, a flight!
I ran Play Diplomacy League for a time and then I set it free
Redesigning my Star Wars variant
Still proud of my solo in Versailles Fog Chaos
WDC 2020 38th place
Woolgie
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1058
All-game rating: 948
Timezone: GMT

Postby Audacia » 03 Dec 2020, 19:35

No, Woolgie, that's not Wisconsin :roll: . But that's OK, many people in the US think the same thing.

When Michigan formed as a state in the late 1830s, it wanted the territory that is now Toledo. The answer was no :x , that was being held in reserve for a future state (Ohio). The Upper Peninsula was given to us instead :roll: , though it did not get connected to us with a bridge until 1957 :) . The Mighty Mackinaw Bridge - the longest suspension Bridge in the Western Hemisphere - more than twice as long as the Forth Bridge in Scotland :!: I vacationed frequently around the northern part of the Mighty Mac as a girl with my family. It is very special. The gateway to the paradise that is the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. My soul soars as I leave downstate and come home to "da UP."

Mining was big here. Copper in the western UP, iron ore in the east. So lots of European immigrants from the 1830s onward. Pasties are sold everywhere here to this day. Just like they are made in Cornwall, except we call the root vegetable a rutabaga, which I believe the English call a swede. We call Michiganders born in the UP Yoopers :D , those born "below the bridge" are called trolls ;) , whereas I am a Trooper 8-) : a former troll now living in the UP. Our largest city in the UP is Marquette with just over 21,000 people.

That new profile picture of mine is from Lake in the Clouds in the Porcupine Mountains of the Western UP. Much of the UP looks that pristine. You are welcome anytime. But it sure takes some doing to get here. And the pasties are heavenly, since they are made in paradise.
Audacia
Premium Member

Postby Malarky » 04 Dec 2020, 02:18

Many, many years ago when I had hair on my head instead of on my ears, I was at Sheffield University and for the last two years of being there lived in Killamarsh, which is probably closer to Chesterfield than Sheffield. Visited the Crystal Peaks cinema more times than I can remember, used to visit a pizza place in Clowne (yes, Clowne, it's a real place) for excellent pizza and a very pretty (and buxom :oops: ) pizza chef, and spent a number of Saturdays at Rother Valley Park. None of which will mean anything to anyone else but Woolgie. Did some occasional studying, too, but the less said about that the better.

Sorry, a bit random, but seeing Poots mention Chesterfield brought on a nostalgia hit.

Ah, pizza.
Respect neither opinions nor beliefs; only respect the person and the right to express them.
Play by the rules but be ferocious.
The Playdiplomacy Guide
Across the Whole Board
Malarky
Premium Member

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: 918
All-game rating: 1029

Postby Woolgie » 04 Dec 2020, 14:48

Yes indeed, Malarky.

I know Killamarsh and Clowne very well. I’m currently working on the upgrade for Clowne sewage works (it’s a glamorous life).
WDC 2020 38th place
Woolgie
Premium Member

Postby Pootleflump » 04 Dec 2020, 14:57

Congratulations Woolfie, it's not often you see the words Clowne and sewage in the same sentence.

Let's all go to Chesterfield and sleep on Woolfie's Chesterfield. Mal can have the end with the Millennium Falcon. I'll have the end with the cute cat.

Woolfie can make pancakes in the morning. But only if he thoroughly washes his hands. Even a Clowne's sewage doesn't sound appealing.
"They are scared of women like you. Women with hearts big enough to house suitcases of pain. Women with laughs so therapeutic they can heal wounds. Women with passion wild enough to start wildfires. They are scared of what they can't tame or understand."
Pootleflump

Standard rating: 1798
All-game rating: 1878

Postby Audacia » 04 Dec 2020, 15:18

You are all so bloody awesome. Really glad I found this place back in June :D . If we're tripping down memory lane back to Star Wars, we might as well grab an oldie hit from then - 1977. ELO, Livin' Thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvBOZCrJsAI

...Takin' a dive 'cause you can't halt the slide
Floating downstream (I'm taking a dive)
Oh, so let her go, don't start spoiling the show
It's a bad dream (I'm taking, I'm taking)

And you and your sweet desire (Don't you do it, don't you do it)
You took me, oh, higher and higher, baby...

Since my only non-country station in the styx is stuck in a 70s/80s time warp, I heard this one on my 5 minute "commute" home last night. I understand some you can't get into the barber yet, so maybe you can identify with Jeffrey Lynne just a bit ;) .
Audacia
Premium Member

Postby Woolgie » 04 Dec 2020, 19:37

I had my hair cut just 2 hours ago, all ready for Christmas now :D

I guess pootle is referring to my abundance of Lego in the spare bedroom, including a millennium Falcon, although I no longer remember why she knows this :shock:

If you’re COVID free, sure come and sleep on my sofa - but it isn’t a Chesterfield I’m afraid, just a regular seat shaped cow.
WDC 2020 38th place
Woolgie
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to Off-topic