1812 Overture: 1818.07 Peace Declared (AAR thread)

A multi-continent game in which each player plays two countries in their attempt to win on a map centered on Europe and the North Atlantic set in 1812. Created and GM'ed by Nopunin10did

Moderator: Morg

Re: 1812 Overture: 1818.07 Peace Declared (AAR thread)

Postby Jordan767 » 01 Mar 2017, 02:25

I do like the changes to the Russian start. Should make the StP situation a little better and maybe create some early friction between Austria and Russia (which itself wold help France survive).
Silver Classicist.
Jordan767

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (947)
All-game rating: (958)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby joe92 » 06 Mar 2017, 14:59

This was a thoroughly enjoyable game! Thank you to nopunin10did for doing a tremendous job designing and GM'ing this map, and to the rest of the players for making it such a fun game. It's a bit late but here's my AAR.

The Game
Bidding
I was pretty happy when I received my top two bids. As has been pointed out in the AAR, New Spain and Austria have the long term ability to eventually rub shoulders and dominate the entire southern portion of the board. This was the reason I bid for them, so getting them was a great start.

Opening year
As expected, the opening year, 1811, was full of negotiations. Immediately, without any hesitation, anti French and anti USA alliance's were established on each continent. This made things pretty easy in terms of diplomacy as we all had a common goal to focus on. I was worried however that Russia wasn't going to follow through on the alliance in Europe, and this led me to try too hard to create an ally out of France while still intending to attack if I was wrong about Russia. With ILI reading me as shifty in negotiations I'm sure this duplicity came out in my writing. I must get better at that. However, my worries were unfounded and the opening year went brilliantly. I picked up a centre with Austria which gave me two builds since I started handicapped, and I picked up a couple of builds with New Spain. Russia-Cherokee proved a reliable ally, and Britain - who, even though the instigator of the "anti" Alliance's, I was worried may have used the massive anti French sentiment to create a loyal ally out of him - took Barcelona pretty much securing the French elimination. I don't recall speaking all that much with Shawnee-Denmark at this point.

Ending the double powers
The next few years were pretty straightforward. We just kept on attacking France and USA. The year 1813 was the pivotal point in this. In the spring Jordan and I managed to destroy 2 US units and in the fall I picked up another French centre. They were each reduced to a single centre.

Tombstones were arranged. Then the discussion turned to which of the remaining 4 would be next.

Fork in the road
With Jordan having been so reliable I was keen for DJoA to be chosen as the next target. At the same time I was very concerned about asudevil's size. He was on 15 centres going into spring 1814 - though to be fair he had a loose hold on his European centres. It seemed pretty chaotic at this time trying to decide what to do next. Ultimately I sided with Jordan and DJoA in the anti Britain-Canada alliance and immediately moved to gain control of the Med. This brought New Spain and Austria shoulder to shoulder and made my defence much easier from thereon out. Result.

A new Shawnee
Twas the night before Christmas... and Don Juan's level of communication dropped to an unsatisfactory level. The planning all but ground to a halt. I wasn't so affected by it but I couldn't keep Jordan from turning on him. Understandable given the circumstances. Justy stepped in to replace Don Juan but it was just a few days too late. The decision had been made and the axe came down hard. Jordan and asu worked well to dismember the Shawnee tribesmen and it was little effort to remove Denmark as well.

Double win concerns
For a while now I had been concerned about how Jordan and I were going to achieve the double win. We both had our European powers as our primaries and our American powers combined were smaller than each of our European powers. We broached the topic a few times, but neither of us were willing to offer to shift our power to America. I think we both realised that whoever did that would be taking the biggest risk. This concern began to manifest itself into a plan of action for stabbing Jordan. I was sure he would be concerned about the same subject and so I needed to be first.

A failed solo attempt
In hindsight I may have gone too soon, but 1816 was the year I decided to make a move. I had reached out to asudevil prior to the move to discuss the stab. I was assured that if I moved against Jordan he and I would be able to become the new alliance. Eventually settling the game in a double win. This was a much more feasible option than allying with Jordan as asu was so heavily planted in America. It was a ruthless move on my behalf to stab such a trustworthy and friendly ally, but I had told myself at the beginning of the game I was going to try for the solo.

Sadly though, asudevil stabbed me as I stabbed Jordan. No help was given and I received a message that I should not have stabbed him in the Med those years before.

I tried to keep the solo run going but I was unable to gain centres at any reasonable rate. Canada however was picking up centres at an alarming rate and it seemed that my ill thought out solo run was going to hand the victory to asudevil.

Repairing burned bridges
By 1817 I was ready to concede I'd made a stupid decision going for the solo run and started trying to talk to Jordan again. That fall we agreed that the greatest risk was asudevil. I ceded 2 New Spain centres to Jordan while making no gains with Austria in order to cement the idea of working together again.

End
The next spring it was clear as day we were now allied again and the draw was proposed. We each would have continued switching sides to stop whoever was the leading power at the time and so the draw in my eyes was well earned and a satisfactory end to the game.

A solo prospect...
Looking at the map I can see how it looks like I had a good shot at a solo run again. I had Hamburg by negotiation and both Pom and War would have been easy pickings. I could not have taken Paris if asu defended with Eng and had Nth and AzC cut Net and Aqu respectively. Nor would I have been able to pick up Ode. So that would have been 13 centres with Austria by the years end. I could have picked up New Orleans with New Spain but that would leave me frustratingly with 1 centre behind the required solo requirement. Perhaps if I'd moved differently in the spring, I don't know. But if I'd made it to 17 asu and Jordan would have teamed up again and beaten me back into submission before I could make the solo limit - my New Spain holdings were extremely fragile. Perhaps it would have been possible the following year to gain enough centres but in the end it wasn't a risk I wanted to take.

The Map and the GM
It is a beautifully designed map. Kudos for creating such a beauty.

In terms of balance my thoughts have already been aired by other players and potentially already fixed by yourself. It all comes down to the double powers being such a prime target in the opening year. For me it wasn't such as asu said that they have to attack everyone to win, it's just a numbers game to me. They simply had 5 units on the continent against my 2. If anyone allies with them it becomes 7 vs 2. So yeah, when the talk quickly moved to lets eliminate this great threat I was on board 100%.

In terms of design I have only 1 gripe, which I told you by PM anyway. The white highlighting on the yellow background with white borders between the countries makes it very hard to see where the boundaries are with Austria. It wasn't a problem with New Spain but on multiple occasions I got the borders wrong in Europe. The messiest area being Lor/Fra/Net/Hnv/Hmb/Sax when there are multiple armies occupying them.

Proposed changes
Mostly good, I particularly like the proposed changes to France and Russia. I think that will be a positive change for sure.

However, the proposed changes to the double win conditions I believe will see this game only end in solo's or draws. It seems overly restrictive and as asu points out leaves whoever is in charge of the detached powers at a serious disadvantage in the alliance.
Designer: Emergence, Modern Extended
GM'ing: Nothing

Platinum Classicist

Taking a break
joe92

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1106)
All-game rating: (1721)
Timezone: GMT

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 06 Mar 2017, 22:43

joe92 wrote:This was a thoroughly enjoyable game! Thank you to nopunin10did for doing a tremendous job designing and GM'ing this map, and to the rest of the players for making it such a fun game. It's a bit late but here's my AAR.

Thanks for the feedback!

joe92 wrote:In terms of design I have only 1 gripe, which I told you by PM anyway. The white highlighting on the yellow background with white borders between the countries makes it very hard to see where the boundaries are with Austria. It wasn't a problem with New Spain but on multiple occasions I got the borders wrong in Europe. The messiest area being Lor/Fra/Net/Hnv/Hmb/Sax when there are multiple armies occupying them.

Do the borders on the new map look better to you? I made the borders between land provinces thicker.
Forum Admin & New Variant Development Assistant

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did

Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (1466)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby joe92 » 07 Mar 2017, 16:58

nopunin10did wrote:
joe92 wrote:In terms of design I have only 1 gripe, which I told you by PM anyway. The white highlighting on the yellow background with white borders between the countries makes it very hard to see where the boundaries are with Austria. It wasn't a problem with New Spain but on multiple occasions I got the borders wrong in Europe. The messiest area being Lor/Fra/Net/Hnv/Hmb/Sax when there are multiple armies occupying them.

Do the borders on the new map look better to you? I made the borders between land provinces thicker.

It looks better, yes. The wider borders are much clearer to me. Though bear in mind I'm 24 with 20/20 vision. With the new design it's possible with a player with poorer eyesight the problem may reoccur based on where you are placing the army in Frankfort. Because the army touches both the border with Hanover and the border with Lorraine, if Austria takes Frankfort and those surrounding provinces then with the white highlighting it may be become unclear. I'd suggest moving the army a few pixels south so it is clearly not touching the border with Hanover.
Designer: Emergence, Modern Extended
GM'ing: Nothing

Platinum Classicist

Taking a break
joe92

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1106)
All-game rating: (1721)
Timezone: GMT

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 07 Mar 2017, 17:19

joe92 wrote:
nopunin10did wrote:

It looks better, yes. The wider borders are much clearer to me. Though bear in mind I'm 24 with 20/20 vision. With the new design it's possible with a player with poorer eyesight the problem may reoccur based on where you are placing the army in Frankfort. Because the army touches both the border with Hanover and the border with Lorraine, if Austria takes Frankfort and those surrounding provinces then with the white highlighting it may be become unclear. I'd suggest moving the army a few pixels south so it is clearly not touching the border with Hanover.

Good idea. I'll try out some alternate positions for armies in Frankfurt during the next playtest.
Forum Admin & New Variant Development Assistant

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did

Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (1466)
Timezone: GMT-5

Previous

Return to 1812 Overture [Game 1] {All Maps Visible}