Greek City States: AARs

Designed and GM'ed by Aeschines. Takes place during Ancient Greece with biddable minors.

Moderator: Morg

Re: Greek City States: AARs

Postby EpicDim » 04 Aug 2016, 08:15

Empire AAR:

I chose the Empire because it sounded the most interesting. Based on the rules I knew that I needed to take over one of the Greek home centers. I also knew that the more neutral centers that were untaken when I entered the better off I would be. I started by communicating with everyone and trying to make alliances with everyone. My original thought was that Halicarnassus was the easiest to take so my plan was to focus on them as my target.

I was told I was coming from the north and rying to rotate all the way to Halicarnassus was going to put me in a rough position facing an allied triad and not much chance of success so I set my eyes on Ilium instead. At that point I was talking to Ilium alot and it became clear that he didn't want me taking Byzantium and being behind him. I was telling him that I was going west and it was a coin flip on which way I went until the deadline that I finally decided to actually go west. The deciding factor was the Thebes/Athens war that was leaving a ton of neutrals in the west.

During the first few years I was using my diplomatic influence to try and keep as many neutrals as neutral until my entrance. Because of the infighting with Thebes/Athens I got plenty of neutrals who switched over in the west. With that great start, an alliance with Ilium and no sizeable enemy in the northwest I was able to take Thebes and Athens.

I had made non-aggression pacts with both Ilium and Sparta. I was concerned about the eastern triple alliance and I helped pressure Ilium to stab Ephesus. I like to think I had something to do with it anyway. Regardless of my impact I was very releaved once the stab happened because it took the pressure off me and gave Ilium and Halicarnassus something to work on while I started working on the Sparta/Halicarnassus alliance.

It was about this time as Ephesus was being cleaned up that Ilium talked Sparta into joining forces with me against Halicarnassus. As we were finally making strides against Halicarnassus in the south, Sparta talked me into going for it against Ilium. We had a 2v2 going and we were pushing forward on both fronts when Ilum talked Sparta into switching sides. That threw me into a terrible position where I was completely out of position to defend. Luckily I was able to pull back and maintain my lines in both the north and south.

Then Ilium made his move for the win. That stab of Sparta/Halicarnassus gave me the diplomatic ammunition I needed to form a 3v1 to stop Ilium. We were successful and Ilium started pulling back to try and form a line and hold it. He started ceding land to Halicarnassus and I knew that it was only a matter of time before Halicarnassus turned back against me.

This is where I made my fatal error which was one of diplomacy and not tactics. During the three way conversation with Sparta, Halicarnassus and myself Sparta had made some comments about not throwing me the game. He also questioned my holding units back on his front when they could have moved forward. I misread his conversation and instead of asking him directly about it, I took my chance. I knew I could stab for 4 SCs (maybe 5) taking me to 16/17. I needed the rest of Sparta which I could guarantee and Melos which I could not.

I went for Melos in the Spring which I was surprised the Greeks let me do and it came down to a guess on whether they would go for Melos or Chalies and I couldn't protect them both. I chose protecting Melos thinking that Ilium would try and keep Sparta in the game and I was wrong.

I knew that it was an all or nothing turn. By going for 19 I was out of position to hold it. I would lose land in both the north and the south the following year. I also knew that Ilium would gain as much or more than Hali would. So I figured losing to a 2 way was better than losing to a solo so I threw out the draw proposal. If Ilium had chosen not to vote for it I would have pressured Hali to turn on him again but instead the game ended with a loss for me. That being said, I am going to consider it a victory since I actually met the original victory conditions before the rules changed. :)
Gauls (Ad Arma) 3-way, Russia (Othello) 4-way, Austria (Crowded Othello) Solo, England (Devious GM 2) Solo, Egypt (Time Travel) 3-way, (Exploration: Great Expeditions) Solo, Han (Warring States 2) Solo
EpicDim

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (1169)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby EpicDim » 04 Aug 2016, 17:16

Public apology to Antigonos:

After re-reviewing the messages from you, my gut reaction that I had to be wary of you and shouldn't talk to you about the stab/solo attempt was an error. I had convinced myself that you were going to be irritated with me if I went for the solo and/or were not going to allow it. On a less emotional re-read of the messages I was wrong and that is the reason I lost. Stabbing you was horrible for me (even though you stabbed me twice during the game) :).
Gauls (Ad Arma) 3-way, Russia (Othello) 4-way, Austria (Crowded Othello) Solo, England (Devious GM 2) Solo, Egypt (Time Travel) 3-way, (Exploration: Great Expeditions) Solo, Han (Warring States 2) Solo
EpicDim

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (1169)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby JonS » 12 Aug 2016, 16:38

marking - will post something later
“Find an ally who will die for you, and see that he does just that.”
The immortal Richard Sharp

Platinum Member of the Classicists Club
House Tyrell in Diplomacy of Ice and Fire