Next new variant: the final vote - WINNER: VERSAILLES

Posts applicable to the variant selection process circa 2015 and before. Will also contain subforums where approved & elected variants are "workshopped" for specific tweaks during implementation.

Which should be the next variant game on main site?

Colonial
39%
Modern
13%
Versailles
48%

Total votes : 62

Next new variant: the final vote - WINNER: VERSAILLES

Postby Pedros » 04 Aug 2013, 17:40

After all the discussions the final vote begins here. The three candidates are Colonial, Modern and Versailles. You will find extensive (even exhausting) discussion in the three threads in this Forum devoted one to each variant, but for reference the important points about maps and rules are below.

One word of warning - don't make your decision on the basis of how attractive the map is. The Colonial map in particular has had the full treatment from The Craw and looks pretty nearly ready to go on main site; the other two haven't yet, but whichever one wins will certainly get his unique makeover. Make the decision on the character of the game - its main features, what makes it distinct from the other candidates and from what is already on main site, whether you want to play it not once but repeatedly. I think it's almost certain that the losing contenders will get an outing in Diplomacy Variant Forum Games (DVFGs) later in the year, so you'll get a one-off chance then at least.

The vote will run for a minimum of two weeks and will not finish until the total number of votes has stabilized within one or two, signifying that all those who are sufficiently interested have had the chance to record their votes.

Colonial Map and detailed discussion - this is also the beginning of the detailed discussion
Seven-player variant set in mid-19th century Asia. A perennially popular variant in DVFG. There was one map issue which had to be resolved - the island of Sakharin in the North-East corner will touch the Sea of Japan as well as Okhotsk Sea. The land-bridge to Otari remains in place.

The rules are in general regular Dip rules, but there are two specific rules which needed clarification in discussion. a) The Suez Canal links Red Sea and Mediterranean, and a fleet can pass directly from one to the other without stopping in Egypt provided that the player who has SC control of Egypt expressly gives permission for that turn. b) The Trans-Siberian Railway (TSR) enables Russian armies to travel between East and West along the railway from Moscow to Vladivostock. Armies cannot be supported to their destination, and if they meet an enemy unit on the way they are bounced at the last stop before they meet it; the enemy unit is also bounced (unless supported).

Modern Map Detailed discussion
Modern would be the first variant with more than seven players. It is a ten-player variant with standard rules, played on an extended map of Europe. Note that the map in the link includes air-power units, which will not be included in the main-site variant if successful in the poll.

Versailles Map and detailed discussion
Versailles is played on a map of Europe extended into northern Africa, superficially similar to 1900. It is a seven-player variant, but the huge difference is that each player controls two powers - a Major Power and a Minor one. Poland replaces Austria as a Major Power, and the Minor Powers include such as Egypt, Yugoslavia and Sweden (which have one SC each). Major Powers are chosen by one of the three usual methods for Regular Diplomacy, but the Minor Powers will always be allocated randomly, and will be anonymous. Players can negotiate both with the other Major Powers and also the Minor Powers - although to start with at least they won't know which player is controlling the Minor Powers. Simple!

Running total of votes cast (so that we can see when the voting has dried up!)
6 August - 37
7 Aug - 42
8 Aug - 49
9 August - 50 (quietening down?)
10 Aug - 52
11 Aug - 54
12 Aug - 54 (but at least one switched vote!)
13 Aug - 55 - and currently tied!
14 Aug - 57
15 Aug - 57 again
16 Aug - 58 - getting tense!
17 Aug - 61 - that counts as a sudden surge. End extended!
18 Aug - 62
19 Aug - 62
20 Aug - 62
21 Aug - 62
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Location: Somewhere full of gorse and brambles, West Cornwall
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1085)
All-game rating: (1314)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Next new variant: the final vote

Postby asudevil » 04 Aug 2013, 19:58

Don't be scared to change your vote if you are seeing that your top choice is in a distant third, but your next one may swing the winner from second place.
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
asudevil

Standard rating: (1351)
All-game rating: (1437)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby luckythirteen » 04 Aug 2013, 22:30

I voted Colonial so we could have a map from a different region of the world. That being said, I am eager to try any of these variants. They look great. :geek:
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.

--Aristotle
luckythirteen

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (956)
All-game rating: (1007)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby RolynTrotter » 05 Aug 2013, 14:26

I vote Versailles because the minor powers are such an interesting mechanic. I really hope it ends with enough enthusiasm to be at least a close second. Maybe it can siphon all of Modern's votes for the win.
Apparently I'm a Classicist. Huh. That's fun I guess
Prussia in Napoleonic: Empires and Coalitions -- Golly that was a long time ago
Short for Carolyn
RolynTrotter

Standard rating: (1004)
All-game rating: (1165)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby glacier777 » 05 Aug 2013, 15:03

I too voted for Versailles. The Minor Powers add a new dynamic and make the diplomacy really interesting.

I like Colonial but it has many issues which people are not recognising:
- It is not really that balanced compared with Classic.
- Solos are rare, draws are very common so people may be disappointed and not play again.
- There are many stalemate lines which get the game bogged down and again mean people may not play again.

I would play a game of Colonial over Versailles any-day because it sounds incredibly fun! However as a game to put on the main site Versailles is better better is runs faster, is more fluid and will make people want to play again.
Back on PlayDip after a 3 year hiatus

Silver member of the Classicists
glacier777

Standard rating: (1264)
All-game rating: (1278)
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby SaltySailor » 05 Aug 2013, 16:28

I too have become a Versailles fan. The thought of negotiating with a minor power to overthrow a major power... never sure if the person behind the minor power is actually your target? It's another level of double-dealing and back-stabbing that should make even a familiar map challenging.

Colonial is interesting for it's different geography and new strategic challenges. It would be a second choice for me and perhaps another candidate for the main site soon?
`
¸¸„‹`˭˭˭˭˭˭˭|≡≡≡≡````````````````Salty Sailor`````````````≡≡≡≡„*|°„≡≡
ˡ-©---©......Classicists Platinum, Oldies, and Cup of Nations Team USA.....‘„¸¸„’`*•›„¸¸„.
SaltySailor

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (963)
All-game rating: (1309)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Bam207 » 06 Aug 2013, 00:06

Yeah, Versailles has such a different and wonderful dynamic from all the other variants.
Voted for it, hope it wins!
Bam207

Standard rating: (1001)
All-game rating: (945)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Piquinya » 06 Aug 2013, 00:25

I also voted for Versailles. The implications of controlling an anonymous minor power are so interesting :)

Colonial doesn't seem so dynamic with all those stalemate lines.
Former Moderator of the Oldies Group.
Member of the Classicists, Platinum tier.

Quo usque tandem abutere, Catilina, patientia nostra?
Piquinya

Standard rating: (1429)
All-game rating: (1569)
Timezone: GMT-4

Postby asudevil » 06 Aug 2013, 00:50

I voted Versailles, which I think is interesting that the distant third is taking a lead.

I think its because more people are actually looking at Versailles after the initial vote and seeing why its different than regular.
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
asudevil

Standard rating: (1351)
All-game rating: (1437)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby Pedros » 06 Aug 2013, 17:28

And what about all those who were arguing that we should just have a straight run-off between Colonial and Modern because nothing else stood a chance?!

One other thing - the vote is a minimum 14 days but will go on until there are very few additional votes being recorded. And I'll give 48 hours notice when I'm thinking of ending it all so that anybody who wants to take asudevil's advice and switch from the third place to one of the leaders gets a fair chance. And just so we know how it's going I'll post every day or so what the total number of votes is (see the OP).
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Location: Somewhere full of gorse and brambles, West Cornwall
Standard rating: (1085)
All-game rating: (1314)
Timezone: GMT

Next

Return to Legacy Process & Workshop Archive