Greek City State Diplomacy Rules (v.4)

7 player variant set in the Ancient Aegean. GM'ed by Aeschines. Quadruple Draw with Sparta (idontplaythisgame), Thebes (JonS), Athens (Antigonos), Illium (PrinceofParma)

Moderator: Morg

Greek City State Diplomacy Rules (v.4)

Postby Aeschines » 09 Sep 2015, 16:39

Greek City State Diplomacy is a twist on two different variants with a couple of new ideas thrown in.

The game is set before the Persian Wars with an optional rule-set that includes elements of the Persian Wars themselves. Each player represents a major city-state seeking dominance over the Aegean. The map is adapted from Greek Diplomacy (http://www.vdiplomacy.com/variants.php?variantID=35), which won a variant design contest in 2010. I’ve also adopted the Baron Von Powell rules from Ambition and Empire for the use of minor powers.

The following rules are version 1.4, updated in 2018.

Greek City State Diplomacy has 34 supply centers, 17 of which are required for a solo victory. The game begins in 500 BCE.

Greek City State Start, with Off Board.png
Greek City State Start, with Off Board.png (75.52 KiB) Viewed 2823 times

Change Log from version 1.3
    Changed Empire selection process
    Adding Empire bribing (deleted use of randomizer)
    Moved Empire bribing up from Winter 499 (2nd Winter) to Winter 500 (1st Winter)
    Changed rules for Empire off-board SCs (no longer count towards victory conditions)
    Tweaked phrasing throughout

Greek City State Diplomacy is played by the rules of regular diplomacy except where noted below:

Map Notes:
    Achaia and Delphi are connected by a bridge. Armies may move between Achaia and Delphi as if they bordered, with no need to pass through the Gulf of Corinth. The presence of the bridge does not affect movement of a fleet between Achaia and Delphi, which still requires passage through the Gulf of Corinth.
    The straits in Byzantium and Illium function exactly like the strait in Constantinople in regular diplomacy; the Black Sea and Propontis and Propontis and the Thracian Sea do not border each other.

1) Minor Powers:
    1.1: Each SC on the map represents a city-state with an associated unit. During the spring and fall seasons, in addition to their regular orders, players may bid on the moves for independent minor powers. If a minor power receives more Diplomacy Points (DPs) for one move than for any other move it will execute that move. Only the move that the minor (attempts) to execute will be published - all DP allocations will be hidden. DPs are not conserved between turns.
    Example:
    Fleet Chicos – Aegean Sea 3 DPs
    Fleet Chicos HOLD 2DPs
    Fleet Chicos HOLD 2 DPs

1.2: In the above example three separate players submitted orders for the fleet in Chicos. Because “HOLD” received 4 DPs the unit in Chicos would execute a ‘hold’ order.
    1.3: When bidding on Minor Power orders, Players must refer to the unit by the space it currently occupies NOT the Minor Power's home supply center. This prevents ambiguity regarding bids. Thus, if the Argive unit occupies Achaia and the Corinthian unit sits in Argos. The order "Argos HOLD 3 DPs" refers to the Corinthian unit currently in Argos.
    1.4: Limitations:
    A minor power may be ordered to –
      Move
      Hold
      Support a unit to hold
      Support a Major Power or Aligned Minor Power’s unit to move
      Convoy and Major or Minor Power's unit
    1.5: An indpendent minor power can never be ordered to support another independent minor power’s unit to move.
    Example: (Laodicoa and Miletus are NOT owned by a major power)
    Army Laodicoa – Ephesus 1 DP
    Army Miletus S Laodicoa – Ephesus 3 DPs
    Army Miletus – Caria 1 DP

In the above example even though Miletus received more DPs for “support Laodicoa – Ephesus” than any other order, it cannot support an Independent Minor Power’s unit to move; the army in Miletus would instead hold. Laodicoa would move to Ephesus with a strength of 1. Even though Miletus received 1 DP to move to Caria, it received more DPs for an illegal order, so it tries to execute the illegal order (and holds).
    1.6: Independent Minor Power Units cannot retreat and are destroyed when dislodged.
    1.7: Independent Minor Power Units cannot capture supply centers (though they can still prevent building)
    1.8: Each winter Minor Powers automatically rebuild their starting unit if their unit is destroyed and their home SC unconquered and unoccupied
    1.9: Major Powers have diplomacy points (DPs) as a factor of the number of SCs they control-
      0 SCs -> 0 DPs
      1-3 SCs -> 3 DPs
      4-6 SCs -> 4 DPs
      7-17 SCs -> 5DPs

2) Unit Capture and “Panic”
    2.1: If a major power has a unit in a minor power’s home SC at the end of the fall turn the minor power is immediately considered an “ALIGNED MINOR POWER” and ceases to be independent.
    2.2: If the minor power still has a unit during the winter phase following the SC’s capture, the Major Power may choose to destroy the Aligned Minor Power’s unit (and rebuild a normal unit in the Major Power’s home SC). If the Major Power does not choose to destroy the Aligned Minor Power’s unit that winter, it is treated like a regular unit owned by that Major Power.
    Example wrote:In the fall: Athens moves a fleet into Corinth, while simultaneously spending enough DPs to get the Corinth fleet to move to Argos. (see following posts for images)
    Because a unit has moved into Corinth’s home SC in the fall, the Corinthian fleet “panics” and Argos is not captured.
    In the winter: Athens may choose to disband the Corinthian fleet in Argos and build a new unit in Athens.
    Athens may instead choose not to disband the Corinthian fleet in Argos (which then is counted as part of Athens’ unit count) and, in the following spring, issue it orders like any other unit.
    In the next fall: However, if a Spartan unit is able to get into Corinth in a subsequent fall any Corinthian unit would “panic” and fail to capture any territory it was occupying. Additionally, the Spartan player could then chose to disband the Corinthian unit (wherever it is) OR take control of it.

2.3: An Aligned Minor Power unit being controlled by a Major Power is included in the Major Power’s unit count for all purposes.
    2.4: If a different Major Power captures the Aligned Minor Power’s home SC, it then has an opportunity to destroy the Aligned Minor Power’s unit in the following winter phase. If it does not choose to destroy the unit the new Major Power can instead issue orders to the Aligned Minor Power’s unit, wherever it is on the board.
    2.5: Panic: A Minor Power’s unit (independent or aligned) cannot capture an SC in the same fall that its home SC is occupied by a foreign unit. When a unit moves into a Minor Power’s home SC that Minor Power’s unit “PANICS” and fails to capture any SC it occupies. This rule is intended to prevent paradoxes (A captures B, B captures C, C captures A).

3) Major Power Home-centers May be Used as Build Sites
    3.1: All Major Power home centers may be used as build sites for all other Major Powers.
    3.2: A unit built in a Major Power home center by a different Major Power functions as a aligned minor power unit. It takes the name of the home center in which it was built. It functions just at the aligned minor power units covered in section (2), above.
    3.3: Unlike minor powers, which may never have more than one unit attached to them, Major Power home centers may have an unlimited number of units associated with the SC. If the Major Power home center is captured the new Major Power has the option of capturing or destroying all units built in that Major Power home center.

4) Empire Invasion [Optional]
    4.1: The last change to the basic diplomacy rules is entirely optional. Whether to use this rule set should be decided by the players and GM before the game begins.
    4.2: If this rules set is active, in 498 BCE (the Third Year of the game) a 7th player is joins the fray as the Empire Player.
    4.3: The 7th Player represents one of four empires, which in turn determines the starting locations of their units.
    4.4: Empire selection: unlike the other powers, the Empire player's starting location is not public at the beginning of the game. During the blind auction to determine power selection, each player's bid for the Empire player must specify one of the four Empires. The Empire that is given more bids by all seven players (including the player who wins the bid) will be used during that game. The power selection bids will remain secret.
    Carla bids: 100 for Athens, 40 for Empire (Scythia), 30 for Sparta, 20 for Halicarnassus, 5 for Thebes, 4 for Ilium, and 1 for Ephesus
    Joey bids: 100 for Empire (Egypt), 60 for Sparta, 30 for Ephesus, 4 for Thebes, 3 for Illium, 2 for Halicarnassus, and 1 for Athens
    Bids for the Empires are secretly totaled: and Egypt wins by 60 points, whomever is assigned the Empire will play as Egypt

4.5: Starting locations for the Empires:
      if the 7th Player represents Persia their three units begin in Persia OffBoard 1, 2, and 3.
      if the 7th Player represents Egypt their three units begin in Egypt OffBoard 1, 2, 3.
      if the 7th Player represents the Illyrian Empire their three units begin in Illyria OffBoard 1, 2, 3.
      if the 7th Player represents the Scythians their three units begin in Scythia Offboard 1, 2, 3.
    4.6: None of three starting units of the empire requires an SC to support it (they are all off-board), thus only through “destroys” of the original three units (those without SC designations) can the Empire Player be reduced to below 3 units.
    4.7:The Empire Player builds three units in their corresponding OffBoard spaces during Winter 500 BCE (1st winter) and may move around off-board in Spring and Fall of 499 BCE. Only the Empire Player and the GM(s) know the location of the off board spaces, so Greek Players and Minor Powers cannot use Off Board Spaces at all.
    4.8: In Spring 498 BCE the Empire Player may move their units onto the board. From then on the Empire Player's units may not move from an Off Board space to another Off Board space, nor from a on-board space to an off board space. This includes all forms of movement (such as retreats).
    4.9: Imperial Bribes: during Winter 500 BCE (1st Winter) a special bidding phase occurs simultaneous with builds. The Empire power is given 10 bribe points that can be spent on any combination of unaligned minor powers (i.e. 10 bribes on one on 1 bribe split amongst 10). Each Major Power is given loyalty points equal to their DP production. Any Unaligned Minor Power that receives more bribe than loyalty points immediately become Aligned Minor Powers (controlled by the Empire Player), all those SCs count towards the Empire Player's SC total for purposes of victory and Diplomacy Point production.
    4.10: Empire Win Conditions: The Empire Player can only win the game via a solo or a two way draw. Larger draws may not include the Empire Player. The Empire's 3 off-board SCs do NOT count towards their SC total for the purposes of soloing. All other rules apply as normal to the Empire player.
    4.11: The Empire Player will be selected at the beginning of the game, The Empire Player may begin interacting with the other players from the the beginning of the game
    4.12: The Empire Player may spend DPs as normal starting in the second year of the game (499 BCE)
    4.13: The Empire Player will know which Empire they control from the beginning of the game.
    4.13: Like the other Major Powers, the Empire Player may use any captured Major Player's home SC as a build site. This is the only way for the Empire Player to build units (i.e. they cannot build units off board).

We will be seeking 7 players and we'll use 3/1/1 deadlines (GM House Rules).
We will be using a blind auction to determine powers, so DO NOT POST WHAT POWERS YOU ARE INTERESTED IN PLAYING IN THE THREAD.
Last edited by Aeschines on 27 Aug 2018, 14:26, edited 51 times in total.
Platinum Member of the Classicists
Aeschines
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1424
All-game rating: 1576
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Greek City State Diplomacy Looking for Players

Postby Aeschines » 09 Sep 2015, 16:39

Example of 2.2:
In the fall: Athens moves a fleet into Corinth, while simultaneously spending enough DPs to get the Corinth fleet to move to Argos.

Fall 1.png
Fall 1.png (15.52 KiB) Viewed 3225 times

Because a unit has moved into Corinth’s home SC in the fall, the Corinthian fleet “panics” and Argos is not captured.

In the winter: Athens may choose to disband the Corinthian fleet in Argos and build a new unit in Athens.

Athens may instead choose not to disband the Corinthian fleet in Argos (which then is counted as part of Athens’ unit count) and, in the following spring, issue it orders like any other unit.

Winter 1 Winter 2.png
Winter 1 Winter 2.png (22.5 KiB) Viewed 3225 times

In the next fall: However, if a Spartan unit is able to get into Corinth in a subsequent fall any Corinthian unit would “panic” and fail to capture any territory it was occupying. Additionally, the Spartan player could then chose to disband the Corinthian unit (wherever it is) OR take control of it.

Fall 2 Winter 3.png
Fall 2 Winter 3.png (17.74 KiB) Viewed 3225 times
Last edited by Aeschines on 09 Sep 2015, 16:47, edited 1 time in total.
Aeschines
Premium Member

Postby Aeschines » 09 Sep 2015, 16:45

GM Rules:

GM House Rules:
1.0: Deadlines will be run with 3 days (roughly 72 hours) for spring/fall and 1 day for retreat/builds (roughly 24 hours).
    1.1: All deadlines will be at 9:00pm New York Time, unless otherwise stated
    1.2: I will endeavor to send out a 24hr warning to all players during movement phases - but this is not a guarantee, do not rely on this warning
    1.3: I will use speed deadlines as much as possible
    1.3.1: Unless marked PRELIMINARY in the subject line or at the top of the message, all orders will assumed to be finalized
    1.3.2: If I have received a full set of non-preliminary (i.e. finalized) orders I will process them before the deadline

2.0: Orders must be submitted to me by PM. Their subject lines must include "Greek City States/GSC: [YEAR/SEASON] [Power]" in some reasonable order. I will accept orders until I begin processing the turn
    2.1: All order sets must be complete - I will only look at the last orders message you send to determine all of your orders for that turn; on order set that merely says "change ABC - XYZ to ABC S DEF - XYZ" will result in all units, other than ABC holding
    2.2: I will accept any order syntax/spelling as long as it is unambiguous (I will include context in this analysis, i.e. Irish Sea M LIV, would be allowed). However, I greatly prefer that you write out the full name of each province (espcially when province names do not have assigned shorthand).
    2.3: Ambiguity will result in a HOLD order being given to the unit(s) (including, for example, giving one unit two orders in the same set)
    2.4: If I cannot find your order(s) because they have an incorrect subject line you may NMR, though it will not count against your total for the purposes of 3.0
    2.5: All orders must be sent to both me and this game's second eyes GM. Any orders that are sent merely to be are liable to be rejected and considered an NMR

3.0: NMRs; two NMRS will result in the player being replaced
      3.1: NMRs for builds/retreats will be considered NMRs for purposes of 3.0
      3.2: A first-turn NMR will result in the player being replaced
      3.3: If a player leaves the game for any reason, I will pause the game and attempt to find a replacement
      3.4: I will give extensions, on request to avoid NMRs
      3.5: In the event of an NMR I will give an automatic 24 hour extension, however, this NMR will still count against the player for the purposes of 3.0

4.0: Draws can be proposed at any time. They must be proposed via group message and in the thread and voted on publicly in the thread
      4.1: Draws need not include all survivors
      4.2: Draws must have the assent of all players with SCs on the board to be approved
      4.3: Any veto instantly cancels a proposed draw
      4.4: Draws expire after I have processed two spring/fall turns after they've been proposed

5.0: Errors in Adjudication must be identified before the subsequent turn is processed
      5.1: Errors identified in time will be corrected when identified and an extension will be given such that each player gets a full turns worth of time with an accurate map
      5.2: Any error that goes unidentified after the subsequent turn is processed will stand

6.0: Other messages should have a subject other than that used for orders in 2.0

7.0: GM's Decisions are final
      7.1: To arrive at decisions in unclear situations I will confer with other playdip GMs
Last edited by Aeschines on 25 Aug 2018, 16:34, edited 6 times in total.
Aeschines
Premium Member

Postby Antigonos » 09 Sep 2015, 18:39

Interested.
Classicists Platinum, Oldies & soldier in Cavalry to the rescue
Samnites 3 draw Ad Arma
Prussia draw Ambition & Empire
USSR in 3 draw Blitzkrieg[
England solo Renaissance
Germany in 6 draw World Influence
Athens 4 draw Greek City States
Zaire solo Africa
Iran 3 draw ModEX II
Antigonos
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1483)
All-game rating: (1517)

Postby joelsdaman1 » 09 Sep 2015, 21:10

Being colorblind, this map is beyond confusing. I would be interested in joining if I could possibly see the map.
How is an atomic wedgie different from a regular wedgie?

Let's find out.
joelsdaman1

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (796)
All-game rating: (795)

Postby Aeschines » 09 Sep 2015, 21:54

joelsdaman1 wrote:Being colorblind, this map is beyond confusing. I would be interested in joining if I could possibly see the map.

What's the main issue? I don't know much about how to make it visible for the colorblind folks out there but I'd love to try!
Last edited by Aeschines on 09 Sep 2015, 22:10, edited 1 time in total.
Aeschines
Premium Member

Postby Stanislaw » 09 Sep 2015, 21:55

Sign me up!
When you play the game of thrones you win, or you die, there is no middle ground.

Platinum member of the Classicists
Stanislaw

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1434)
All-game rating: (1484)

Postby joelsdaman1 » 09 Sep 2015, 22:40

Aeschines wrote:
joelsdaman1 wrote:Being colorblind, this map is beyond confusing. I would be interested in joining if I could possibly see the map.

What's the main issue? I don't know much about how to make it visible for the colorblind folks out there but I'd love to try!

So I can't see green/yellow difference, as well as brown/red and blue/purple.
How is an atomic wedgie different from a regular wedgie?

Let's find out.
joelsdaman1

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (796)
All-game rating: (795)

Postby JonS » 10 Sep 2015, 19:17

I'd be happy to play.

One question - are minor power orders known? ie - exposed to other players? Or only known to the GM who ordered what for which minor power?

I assume they're concealed from the public but wanted to confirm. :)
“Find an ally who will die for you, and see that he does just that.”
The immortal Richard Sharp

Platinum Member of the Classicists Club
House Tyrell in Diplomacy of Ice and Fire
JonS

Standard rating: (1557)
All-game rating: (1606)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby Aeschines » 10 Sep 2015, 20:06

JonS wrote:I'd be happy to play.

One question - are minor power orders known? ie - exposed to other players? Or only known to the GM who ordered what for which minor power?

I assume they're concealed from the public but wanted to confirm. :)

They are concealed (as in Ambition and Empire)
1.1: Each SC on the map represents a city-state with an associated unit. During the spring and fall seasons, in addition to their regular orders, players may bid on the moves for minor powers. If a minor power receives more Diplomacy Points (DPs) for one move than for any other move it will execute that move. Only the move that the minor (attempts) to execute will be published - all DP allocations will be hidden.
Aeschines
Premium Member

Next

Return to Greek City States 1