End of Game - AARS?

A world map that includes nuclear weapons and a nuclear winter scenario. Created and GM'ed by Malevolence. Ended in an USA(Sleepyjim)/Indian(Imago Dei) Draw.

Moderator: Morg

End of Game - AARS?

Postby marsman57 » 20 Jun 2015, 22:29

Both the GM and EU player disappeared. Those left agreed to a USA/India draw which seems like a logical conclusion given the map and layout. That's as official as it'll get with this game I fear.

Post AARs if you have them.

As for me, I like the idea behind this variant but hated...
1. The map. Not enough territories.
2. That nukes were destroyed even if they bounced a unit. This should only be the case if it's dislodged.
3. I don't really think starting positions were balanced. More research is needed.

Also while I thank Malevolence for his interest, he was never engaged and I'd suggest admins think twice before allowing him to GM again.
marsman57

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1118)
All-game rating: (1128)
Timezone: GMT

Re: End of Game - AARS?

Postby I Love Italy » 20 Jun 2015, 22:41

I agree with all the points raised, and don't have any other comments really. It's a very closed in variant. After my initial burst of expansion, I really didn't have anywhere to go (if I moved against Europe I'd be open to India, I couldn't move against India because of the chokepoint in Arabia). While some might say "that sounds like more a diplomatic error, you should've just convinced India to be on your side", I don't really think that was an option. There was nothing I could offer to India. I don't really think the game is set up in a way that encourages, or even allows really, alliances past the first few turns.
I have special eyes.
I Love Italy

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1041)
All-game rating: (1059)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby marsman57 » 21 Jun 2015, 02:03

I'd actually be interested in just seeing standard with the Nuke added as a unit that can be built.
marsman57

Standard rating: (1118)
All-game rating: (1128)
Timezone: GMT

Postby sleepyjim » 21 Jun 2015, 02:35

For me not having the nukes to use changed the game into a basic game and this variant is not made for that, must have nukes....

Couple of map changes I would do are, islands are friggin islands, want an army on it, convoy (example is Cuba).

Agree not enough territories.
Agree nukes should not be destroyed if they bounced. This should only be the case if it's dislodged.
Nukes should be build-able but maybe a a 2 SC cost. Maybe 1 is enough though....

About Malevolence, hope all is ok with him but I am pretty upset with him just dropping out as GM, I was not allowed orders that were sent, but he never got or whatever, so for him to miss a deadline and never come back as GM??

Agree admins should think twice before allowing him to GM again.

Jim
Gold Member of The Classicists!

Member of The Oldies!

Solo Win: Water Water Everywhere PBFD

2 Way Draw: 21st Century Diplomacy PBFD
sleepyjim

Standard rating: (1122)
All-game rating: (1101)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby Morg » 21 Jun 2015, 03:59

Hey guys,

I will be having a stern conversation with Malevolence and will referencing this game if he attempts to GM again. Sorry about that, we'll make sure that this doesn't happen again. Games really shouldn't end like that.

Now a formality, there was a post stating that the remaining players agreed to a USA/India draw. I didn't see it in a public post, so I'm assuming it was done via PM. If I could get that PM forwarded to me then I can archive this game.

If you have any other concerns to air regarding the way this game was GM'ed, please feel free to PM me so that I am aware of it.
"He says there are no easy answers. I say he's not looking hard enough!"
Morg

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1428)
All-game rating: (1561)

Postby WHSeward » 21 Jun 2015, 04:18

Strictly as an outsider looking in, a few thoughts:

It has only been a week since the last move and only 5 days past the deadline. It seems a little quick to give up on your GM already. Are you sure he won't come back?

As per Morg, do the players want to draw or do they want to play on? If the players vote to draw, then letting the game end makes sense.

If the players want to play on, we could have another GM pick up the game. I see no posts about it so I presume the site doesn't have a procedure for orphan games, but we could get one running pretty quick if need be.
"As a general truth, communities prosper and flourish, or droop and decline, in just the degree that they practice or neglect to practice the primary duties of justice and humanity." WHS

A member of the Classicists.

Ask me about mentor games. Send me a PM or post in the Mentoring forum.
WHSeward
Site Admin
Site Admin

Standard rating: (1633)
All-game rating: (1647)

Postby Morg » 21 Jun 2015, 04:35

Thanks WHSeward.

The opening post mentions a fully agreed to draw for USA/India, I want to confirm before I close this out prematurely.

If it is not fully agreed then we will look for another GM who is willing to pick up the game at short notice.
"He says there are no easy answers. I say he's not looking hard enough!"
Morg

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1428)
All-game rating: (1561)

Postby I Love Italy » 21 Jun 2015, 06:41

The whole thing was, before the GM left, every player except for EU (who's been inactive since the 7th, and missed the last two deadlines, which would've meant expulsion if the GM were here) had already agreed to a draw. Then, with the inactivity of both, the remaining players decided it would be best to just end the game in a draw. I'm not sure how to forward the whole chain of messages to you, Morg, but if you give me instructions, I'll be right on that.
I have special eyes.
I Love Italy

Standard rating: (1041)
All-game rating: (1059)

Postby sleepyjim » 21 Jun 2015, 12:08

I sent a couple of the msgs to Morg.

Jim
Gold Member of The Classicists!

Member of The Oldies!