Group 6 - Fantasy Icon Sets - Vote Here

Periodically, PlayDip refreshes the standard set of army/fleet icons used on its map. This subforum is where you can discuss and vote for the icon sets the site will use.

Group 6 - Fantasy Icon Sets - Which do you prefer?

Icon Set 1 Image T-Rex & White Shark
28%
Icon Set 2 Image Griffin & Sea Monster
51%
Icon Set 3 Image Apple & Windows
5%
Icon Set 4 Image Toy Soldier & Rubber Ducky
17%

Total votes : 172

Re: Group 6 - Fantasy Icon Sets - Vote Here

Postby thewysecat » 27 Apr 2015, 01:28

I've voted Dino

My rationale is that I have no desire to play either, but it seems likely on qualitative evidence that those who actually play with fantasy icons like the dinos best and are being outvoted by those less invested.

If we run this again I think folks should be restricted to voting in the category they most often play (self-selected by them) to prevent folks with no more than a passing interest in a category out-voting those with a genuine passion for play in the category at hand. That can be hard wired into how the poll is set up.

And talking about a flawed process, how about vote-trading? Dino folks - I am showing the way. Please vote cannon/sail boat in the legacy category and I'll urge other oldies to vote Dino. Now that's Diplomacy thinking...
"Of all the things I have known myself to be, I never recognized the fool."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atuNdPgM8eY
thewysecat

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1518)
All-game rating: (1526)
Timezone: GMT-4

Postby asudevil » 27 Apr 2015, 01:38

thewysecat wrote:Dino folks - I am showing the way. Please vote cannon/sail boat in the legacy category and I'll urge other oldies to vote Dino. Now that's Diplomacy thinking...

WELL PLAYED sir...well played
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
asudevil
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1351
All-game rating: 1447
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby Kingmaker42 » 27 Apr 2015, 01:52

All right. I prefer the look of the stars and anchors, and had voted that way, but in consideration of the above, I'll remove my vote from stars/anchors and apply it to cannons/sailboats. That's a 2-vote difference, breaking the current tie.

Hope the oldies come out and represent for the dinosaurs. A very long shot at this point, but why not.
Kingmaker42

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (988)
All-game rating: (1002)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Kingmaker42 » 27 Apr 2015, 02:09

...mind you, if the cannon/sailboat contingent is unable to deliver an appreciable number of dino/shark votes, or if the stars/anchors contingent demonstrates a superior capacity to generate dino/shark votes, I reserve the right to switch my legacy vote back.
Kingmaker42

Postby thewysecat » 27 Apr 2015, 02:15

Kingmaker42 wrote:...mind you, if the cannon/sailboat contingent is unable to deliver an appreciable number of dino/shark votes, or if the stars/anchors contingent demonstrates a superior capacity to generate dino/shark votes, I reserve the right to switch my legacy vote back.

Well cunningly I was a Griffin voter and have switched to Dino making a 2 vote swing to reciprocate your 2 vote swing.

Hints of change of course work both ways...

Anyway at least we can make a Diplomacy element out of this whole process.

Legacy cannon/sail folks - vote Dino!

Dino folks - vote Cannon/sailboat!

Let's do this - Democracy: Diplomacy style!
"Of all the things I have known myself to be, I never recognized the fool."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atuNdPgM8eY
thewysecat

Standard rating: (1518)
All-game rating: (1526)
Timezone: GMT-4

Postby Kingmaker42 » 27 Apr 2015, 02:16

Works for me!
Kingmaker42

Postby Alman » 27 Apr 2015, 02:50

I actually play with any of the icons. I currently have a dinos/sharks game I'm in. And I didn't vote for the dinos. Never have liked them but have often found myself playing them. I'm a firm vote for the Griffin. Wyse, I'm also a firm vote for the sails & cannons. :)
Bronze Member: The Classicists & Oldies
War in the Americas 7 PbF

"The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote" -Kosh
"Nothing has to be true, but everything has to sound like it was." -Salvor Hardin
Alman

Standard rating: (1466)
All-game rating: (1586)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby th14jkjoe » 27 Apr 2015, 08:27

thewysecat wrote:Dino folks - I am showing the way. Please vote cannon/sail boat in the legacy category and I'll urge other oldies to vote Dino. Now that's Diplomacy thinking...

Done. Admittedly, I also think stars/anchors is pretty flash, but I'm also a pragmatist with a single-minded goal. Sharks and Dinos for life. #SaveSharkDino
On this shrunken globe, men can no longer live as strangers.
th14jkjoe

Standard rating: (1064)
All-game rating: (1033)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby rick.leeds » 27 Apr 2015, 08:33

Flawed process? It would be flawed if we restricted people who may find a game they want to play with an icon set they didn't like and didn't have any say in at all.

How we'd restrict people to only voting for icons they used would be an interesting suggestion, especially when we have a default set of icons.

And, of course, we're hearing from people who say they only use a certain set of icons or who wouldn't use a certain set of icons (Alman excluded) rather than people who are less picky and are happy to play a game with a given set. Providing people with the opportunity to vote for any of the icons means that whatever sets we use, we may get a full set that removes some of those self-imposed restrictions.
World Diplomacy Forum.
Online Resources editor at the Diplomatic Pouch.
Don't let the stepladder get you. Watch where you're stepping. ANY step could be a doozy.
rick.leeds
Site Admin
Site Admin

Standard rating: (1158)
All-game rating: (1070)
Timezone: GMT

Postby NineofSwords » 27 Apr 2015, 08:42

I find it deeply ironic that the fantasy icon set, which is essentially a jokester's set, would provoke so much heated discussion. I guess part of this is because this group is also much more diverse; most group have pretty much similar icons, or there is a clear winner.
I like dinos and sharks, they looks real amusing, but I voted for rubber ducky instead, because it's just cute. Yes, there is a need for cutesy stuff here, so if you are trying to convince me that dinos and sharks are fearsome, you are preaching to a choir.
NineofSwords

Standard rating: (985)
All-game rating: (986)
Timezone: GMT

Previous

Return to Icon Suggestions & Voting