Group 6 - Fantasy Icon Sets - Vote Here

Periodically, PlayDip refreshes the standard set of army/fleet icons used on its map. This subforum is where you can discuss and vote for the icon sets the site will use.

Group 6 - Fantasy Icon Sets - Which do you prefer?

Icon Set 1 Image T-Rex & White Shark
28%
Icon Set 2 Image Griffin & Sea Monster
51%
Icon Set 3 Image Apple & Windows
5%
Icon Set 4 Image Toy Soldier & Rubber Ducky
17%

Total votes : 172

Re: Group 6 - Fantasy Icon Sets - Vote Here

Postby Alman » 24 Apr 2015, 06:48

spcnmtry wrote:Dino lovers unite! Sign petitions! Organize sit-ins! File a class action lawsuit! WE WON'T LET THEM TAKE OUR DINOS AWAY!

don-quixote-windmill.jpg
don-quixote-windmill.jpg (22.73 KiB) Viewed 2207 times
Bronze Member: The Classicists & Oldies
War in the Americas 7 PbF

"The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote" -Kosh
"Nothing has to be true, but everything has to sound like it was." -Salvor Hardin
Alman

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1466)
All-game rating: (1586)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby I Love Italy » 24 Apr 2015, 06:53

Daximus wrote:I would like it noted that in the event that everyone has lost their mind and Dinos and Sharks loses, that it can't be removed. It is not a fantasy icon set due to the fact that they are real. Those animals have existed and cannot be considered fantasy.

Good point Daximus. Thanks for joining the fight.

And to Alman... you do realize that we're the windmill, and you're the poor horse being ridden to death by the site admins, right? :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
I have special eyes.
I Love Italy

Standard rating: (1041)
All-game rating: (1059)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Kingmaker42 » 24 Apr 2015, 07:01

Hey, spcnmtry has a good point about the demand. I mean, when I woke up this morning, I think there were 24 votes for Dino/Shark? Maybe 25? I create a fun little "memorial" send-off game, post about it, not really trying to raise some call to arms about the issue or anything, just raising a glass and having one last hurrah with the little guys before we can't use them anymore. Suddenly people are noticing what's about to happen, posting about it in the chatbox, a bunch of people start calling for the Dinos and Sharks to stay, and now we're at 36 votes, which is perhaps a 50% increase in the course of one day, which didn't even start out as a day of serious campaigning. I'd say there's some justification for the claim that there's a lot of popular support out there for these little guys.

Not quite sure a petition is the way to go, although I suppose as a way to keep the issue at the forefront and throw a new recent post about it up onto the main page, it's not a half-bad idea. But yeah, ultimately, the support will show up in the votes here, or it won't. So we'll just see. Fortunately, I found a post earlier with more information about the polls... not sure where, off the top of my head; I'd have to hunt for it again... but sounds like the plan was to give the polls a few weeks? And it's been less than a week, I think? So we have some time. Yeah, Griffins and Serpents look pretty cool and they're a shiny & new thing, so an early lead isn't too surprising, but we'll see what happens when more folks who've formed an attachment to the existing icons start realizing what's going on, and come out of the woodwork. Or not. Time will tell.
Kingmaker42

Standard rating: (988)
All-game rating: (1002)

Postby Alman » 24 Apr 2015, 07:03

"The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote" -Kosh
"Nothing has to be true, but everything has to sound like it was." -Salvor Hardin
Alman

Postby WHSeward » 24 Apr 2015, 07:16

Ouch!
"As a general truth, communities prosper and flourish, or droop and decline, in just the degree that they practice or neglect to practice the primary duties of justice and humanity." WHS

A member of the Classicists.

Ask me about mentor games. Send me a PM or post in the Mentoring forum.
WHSeward

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1633)
All-game rating: (1647)

Postby Guns of Brixton » 24 Apr 2015, 12:59

Griffins and serpents aren't just shiny and new, they're clearly superior in every way to those tired little dino and sharks icons that no one likes to play with. Do you cringe and cover your screen when you play a game with those and someone is walking by? How many great works of literature have been written about dinosaurs? Griffins and sea serpents have a glorious history throughout the classics.

It's time to move the game forward and embrace the clear superiority of these new icons.

Platinum Classicist
Mentor
Guns of Brixton

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1580)
All-game rating: (1622)
Timezone: GMT

Postby I Love Italy » 24 Apr 2015, 15:14

Guns of Brixton wrote:Griffins and serpents aren't just shiny and new, they're clearly superior in every way to those tired little dino and sharks icons that no one likes to play with. Do you cringe and cover your screen when you play a game with those and someone is walking by? How many great works of literature have been written about dinosaurs? Griffins and sea serpents have a glorious history throughout the classics.

It's time to move the game forward and embrace the clear superiority of these new icons.

You dissing Jurassic Park?
I have special eyes.
I Love Italy

Standard rating: (1041)
All-game rating: (1059)

Postby Alman » 24 Apr 2015, 15:18

Its not just taste, its a strategic necessity! Imagine the horror of allowing an army to escape.

Alman

Postby Kingmaker42 » 24 Apr 2015, 20:47

Guns of Brixton wrote:Griffins and serpents aren't just shiny and new, they're clearly superior in every way to those tired little dino and sharks icons that no one likes to play with.

Clearly, some of us do like to play with them. A group of us just started a new game with these icons, and so far we're having lots of fun. Plenty of recognizable names in the group, too. Check out game 101465 if you want to see clear evidence of people having fun with the dino and shark icons.
Kingmaker42

Standard rating: (988)
All-game rating: (1002)

Postby Nightwind » 24 Apr 2015, 21:51

C'mon people... T-rex & Giant shark for the win!!

Do we want to lose one of the last legacies of long lost old member Detroit_Red??
(who was the very first person to recommend it, here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11891&start=100#p154304 back in 2010)

You honestly wanna replace THIS:

With these??:
Nightwind
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (989)
All-game rating: (977)

PreviousNext

Return to Icon Suggestions & Voting