Why no 1901 icon set?

Periodically, PlayDip refreshes the standard set of army/fleet icons used on its map. This subforum is where you can discuss and vote for the icon sets the site will use.

Why no 1901 icon set?

Postby efty » 22 Jun 2015, 16:15

Greetings!

I'm fairly new to the website (playing my first game here as we speak), but I'm a bit nonplussed as to the inexistence of an icon set fitting with the original time frame of the game - dawn of the 20th century. The pre-modern set fits the 19th century, while the next set, World War I, looks too modern.

Was this a conscious decision to limit the number of icon sets, or is there another reason?

If needed, I would be happy to volunteer to do some icons based on the Avalon Hill metal models.
efty

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1096)
All-game rating: (1203)
Timezone: GMT+2

Re: Why no 1901 icon set?

Postby WHSeward » 22 Jun 2015, 17:46

You just missed it, efty.

First there was a call for designs. Then there was a site-wide vote. Then the results were tallied. And finally the icons you can see were rolled out.

As you can see, it was a big process. I have to believe any question you have about icons is probably answered in those threads.

We'll probably do it again in a few years, so stick around and put in your proposal then.

In the meantime, happy Dipping and welcome to the site.
"As a general truth, communities prosper and flourish, or droop and decline, in just the degree that they practice or neglect to practice the primary duties of justice and humanity." WHS

A member of the Classicists.

Ask me about mentor games. Send me a PM or post in the Mentoring forum.
WHSeward

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1633)
All-game rating: (1647)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby efty » 22 Jun 2015, 19:45

Yes, I saw that I was too late for the submissions and got kinda pissed about that, but oh well.

Thing is, the votes were related to specific icons for specific, pre-determined set (i.e. WW1, WW2 etc.). My question was how come there was no 1901 set?
efty

Standard rating: (1096)
All-game rating: (1203)
Timezone: GMT+2

Postby super_dipsy » 22 Jun 2015, 20:33

Welcome too!

The start of the process was to ask for contributions or suggestions of icons. These were then edited by our graphics person for the vote. The vote also included a selection of previously available ones too. Therefore, to answer your question, if there are no 1901 icons then that is because none were requested or contributed. If you are here next time around, we would be delighted if you wanted to contribute some 1901 ones :D
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 931
Timezone: GMT

Postby I Love Italy » 22 Jun 2015, 22:17

efty wrote:Yes, I saw that I was too late for the submissions and got kinda pissed about that, but oh well.

Thing is, the votes were related to specific icons for specific, pre-determined set (i.e. WW1, WW2 etc.). My question was how come there was no 1901 set?

I'd think World War I is close enough to 1901 (only 13 years off). Wouldn't you?
I have special eyes.
I Love Italy

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1041)
All-game rating: (1059)

Postby Lukan » 22 Jun 2015, 22:18

I am still wondering why we couldn't vote for the old canon to pair with the manowar.
Lukan

Location: The best country in the world (no offence to all other countries that exist)
Standard rating: (1806)
All-game rating: (1861)
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby SaltySailor » 22 Jun 2015, 22:58

The icons voted on in the WW1 category included a 75mm Field Gun introduced in 1898, the 155mm howitzer introduced in 1904 as well as a pair of dreadnoughts which were part of the pre-war arms race. Personally I thought the 75mm gun and the dreadnought designed by VaeVictus were great. As it was, the soldier (squint and he could be from many eras), and the dreadnought won. The members had spoken and we had a blast carrying out their wishes. :D

They say that generals always fight the last war. The corollary of that is the technology of the opening salvoes of a war, is not the technology that ends it. War is the crucible of innovation so picking which icons to represent a war is a moving target. I think the members did a great job of selecting and look forward to the next time too.
`
¸¸„‹`˭˭˭˭˭˭˭|≡≡≡≡````````````````Salty Sailor`````````````≡≡≡≡„*|°„≡≡
ˡ-©---©......Classicists Platinum, Oldies, and Cup of Nations Team USA.....‘„¸¸„’`*•›„¸¸„.
SaltySailor

Standard rating: (963)
All-game rating: (1309)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby I Love Italy » 22 Jun 2015, 23:40

But you know, why are you bringing this up? The true tragedy of the voting was no dino icons... ;)
I have special eyes.
I Love Italy

Postby ferdy0 » 23 Jun 2015, 01:00

I Love Italy wrote:But you know, why are you bringing this up? The true tragedy of the voting was no dino icons... ;)

Still think we should have been able to vote for Sea and Land separately for that vote (Dino and Sea-monster would have been epic combo)
GM/FM
HOTW

Co-GM & co-founder of MYM

I almost peed myself when I saw a message from you - UKPBA

Grand Master of doing the unexpected (and getting away with it)

جئت، رأيت، وأنا الركل بعض الحمار البريطاني.

Best speech writer in the world

Member of:
Cavalry to the rescue
Silver Classicist
ferdy0

Standard rating: (957)
All-game rating: (980)
Timezone: GMT

Postby I Love Italy » 23 Jun 2015, 02:31

ferdy0 wrote:
I Love Italy wrote:But you know, why are you bringing this up? The true tragedy of the voting was no dino icons... ;)

Still think we should have been able to vote for Sea and Land separately for that vote (Dino and Sea-monster would have been epic combo)

No love for megalodon? Maybe this'll change your mind...

I have special eyes.
I Love Italy

Return to Icon Suggestions & Voting