New feature info - Change Username

Information on your account on Playdiplomacy.

New feature info - Change Username

Postby rick.leeds » 01 Apr 2015, 11:40

We now allow members to change the username of their account.

Why change it?
There are times when a member will register to the site and choose a username which they regret using. Perhaps the name contains an email address, personal information, embarrassing content or you may even have simply become bored with your old name. Perhaps you want to change your username to give yourself impetus for a fresh start.

Well, now you can.

How do I change my username?
Visit the My Account section on the site's home page. Here you can change the details of your account. You will need to enter your password (immediately under your current username at the top of the page), then scroll down to enter the details of your new username. You will need to enter the new username twice, to confirm the change.

It may be that your choice of new username is not available. As when registering a new account, if the name you choose is already registered, you will not be able to change to this username. For instance, don't expect to be able to simply call yourself 'Napoleon'!

Why can I only change my username once in a year?
There are two reasons. First, with every username change, a new name is registered with the site. If you could change your username every day, that would quickly create a long list of (mostly no longer used) usernames.

Second, we think it is more sensible to keep a limit in place. Many sites either don't allow username changes or only allow them with limits. To prevent unnecessary confusion, we chose a limit of once within a year. So pick a name you can live with for a year!

Does this mean I get a fresh start?
Well, you get a new username and fresh impetus, if that's what you want. And that little shot of giddiness when you log into the site with the new name for the first time ;)

However, changing your username does not constitute opening a new account. Your stats, results, game history, etc will be logged to the new username (and the site keeps a record of old usernames registered to the account). So this isn't a completely fresh start, no.

Is there any way I can change my username within a year if I have to?
Site management can still change your username but we will operate within much tighter guidelines now. We will not change a username simply because the system prevents you from changing it again. If there are serious reasons behind a need to change username, we will consider them on a case-by-case basis.
World Diplomacy Forum.
Online Resources editor at the Diplomatic Pouch.
Don't let the stepladder get you. Watch where you're stepping. ANY step could be a doozy.
rick.leeds
Site Admin
Site Admin

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1158)
All-game rating: (1070)
Timezone: GMT

Re: New feature info - Change Username

Postby Carebear » 01 Apr 2015, 14:30

On the player statistics page, would it be possible to list all of a user's prior names? Let's say for instance, player A doesn't like to participate in games with player B, but player b has changed his name...
You can have my last supply center, when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

Spam Ambassador Wannabe

Officially Sanctioned Site Gadfly (meaning the negative kind of sanction)
Carebear

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1573)
All-game rating: (1589)
Timezone: GMT+8

Postby Aeschines » 01 Apr 2015, 15:03

Also, how would this effect the forum?
Platinum Member of the Classicists
Aeschines
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1355
All-game rating: 1608
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby rick.leeds » 01 Apr 2015, 17:31

We won't be listing former usernames. I see the point you're making, Carebear, but I think that if Player A has an issue with Player B that is more A's problem than B's. Perhaps more importantly, the process of changing usernames is useful for those players who sign-up with an email address or full real name. Listing past names in stats would defeat the object of changing a username to correct for this error.

We've set it up so that a change of username on the games site will be reflected on the Forum. The forum username will change on any posts made.
World Diplomacy Forum.
Online Resources editor at the Diplomatic Pouch.
Don't let the stepladder get you. Watch where you're stepping. ANY step could be a doozy.
rick.leeds
Site Admin
Site Admin

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1158)
All-game rating: (1070)
Timezone: GMT

Return to Your Account