I find database not sync to all info pages

INFORMATION ONLY. Site features.
Forum rules
This sub-forum is for information only. Please post any questions in the appropriate sections of the Forum.
Questions on rules of the game - Rules Questions
Questions on site functions - in the main Information Forum

Re: I find database not sync to all info pages

Postby Malarky » 26 Feb 2017, 12:15

To put it as simply as possible then - and please correct me if I'm wrong - if there is nothing to order, there is no need to finalise. And, if you do finalise, it has no effect on the game and doesn't help other players or the game.
Respect neither opinions nor beliefs; only respect the person and the right to express them.
Play by the rules but be ferocious.
The Playdiplomacy Guide
Across the Whole Board
Malarky
Premium Member

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (918)
All-game rating: (1029)
Timezone: GMT

Postby gareth66 » 26 Feb 2017, 13:53

I don't know how often this needs saying to get through -there is NEVER a need to finalise, EVER. Whether you have orders to enter or not. It is completely misleading to have all these posts talking about needing to finalise. It is never the case and a total misunderstanding of what the finalising facility is there for.
gareth66

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1485)
All-game rating: (1638)

Postby asudevil » 26 Feb 2017, 14:36

Nibbler wrote:To put it as simply as possible then - and please correct me if I'm wrong - if there is nothing to order, there is no need to finalise. And, if you do finalise, it has no effect on the game and doesn't help other players or the game.

Yes.
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
asudevil

Standard rating: (1351)
All-game rating: (1437)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby whiteric » 26 Feb 2017, 21:30

since you know the code then you are right
even though it has not been my experience i can live with that it must be this way

i thought that many times i did finalize and the time was reset to 0 H 0 M but that must have been my imagination as 40 year programmer it was what i wanted to see

super_dipsy wrote:Let me try to make it totally clear.

Here is how the code works. This is for an Orders phase.

IF one player clicks 'finalize orders'
- Check to see if game should move
- FOREACH country
--- If the country is surrendered, SKIP to next country
--- If the country has no units, SKIP to next country (this is your case)
--- Has country finalized?
------- No, END (no early finish to deadline)
------- Yes, move to next country
- If all countries WITH UNITS and NOT SURRENDERED have finalized, move turn on
whiteric

Standard rating: (824)
All-game rating: (834)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Carebear » 26 Feb 2017, 22:06

whiteric wrote:i thought that many times i did finalize and the time was reset to 0 H 0 M but that must have been my imagination as 40 year programmer it was what i wanted to see

If you are the last to finalize or the first to finalize when only a surrendered power has orders, then yes the timer will set to 0.
You can have my last supply center, when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

Spam Ambassador Wannabe

Officially Sanctioned Site Gadfly (meaning the negative kind of sanction)
Carebear

Standard rating: (1573)
All-game rating: (1589)
Timezone: GMT+8

Postby norlight » 27 Feb 2017, 01:57

whiteric wrote:i thought that many times i did finalize and the time was reset to 0 H 0 M but that must have been my imagination as 40 year programmer it was what i wanted to see

If I may, I would advise you, for your peace of mind, that if/when the same situation happens next time (you have no units, you hit finalize, and the clock is reset to 0 H 0 M while there are other countries to move besides surrendered ones) - just post it in here and dipsy will have a look.
One of the two options will be here: (1) you are mistaken and there is just some simple explanation will found or (2) you are right and there is some weird defect which no one notices for some reason.
Either way we'll find out.
norlight

Standard rating: (2122)
All-game rating: (2189)
Timezone: GMT+2

Postby asudevil » 27 Feb 2017, 02:48

norlight wrote:

If I may, I would advise you, for your peace of mind, that if/when the same situation happens next time (you have no units, you hit finalize, and the clock is reset to 0 H 0 M while there are other countries to move besides surrendered ones) - just post it in here and dipsy will have a look.
One of the two options will be here: (1) you are mistaken and there is just some simple explanation will found or (2) you are right and there is some weird defect which no one notices for some reason.
Either way we'll find out.

This is very true...there are random bugs that only happen in very specific circumstances that we still find 10 years using the same code...so its highly unlikely...but possible.
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
asudevil

Standard rating: (1351)
All-game rating: (1437)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby Carebear » 27 Feb 2017, 03:28

[CompGeek]
asudevil wrote:This is very true...there are random bugs that only happen in very specific circumstances that we still find 10 years using the same code...so its highly unlikely...but possible.

There are times when defects appear randomly in computer programs. This is often related to poor memory or multi-thread management. The nature of these defects make them hard to replicate, locate, and fix.

This is different from defects that occur in very specific but seldom encountered situations. These are consistent, repeatable, and easier to find to fix.
[/CompGeek]
You can have my last supply center, when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

Spam Ambassador Wannabe

Officially Sanctioned Site Gadfly (meaning the negative kind of sanction)
Carebear

Standard rating: (1573)
All-game rating: (1589)
Timezone: GMT+8

Postby Malarky » 27 Feb 2017, 20:02

gareth66 wrote:I don't know how often this needs saying to get through -there is NEVER a need to finalise, EVER. Whether you have orders to enter or not. It is completely misleading to have all these posts talking about needing to finalise. It is never the case and a total misunderstanding of what the finalising facility is there for.

Just wanted to pick up on this because I take the point but I also think that it's a point laboured.

I've played on a site (well an app, really, but for the sake of argument) where finalising (to use the term from this site) was not only an expectation but a requirement. Annoying.

So it's great that finalising isn't an expectation here, at least officially.

However, the OP used was thinking he needed to finalise to help move the game forward in specific situations. That was the spirit in which I posted: if you think you need to finalise in the defined situations, you don't. It doesn't have any impact on the game.

Perhaps I could have been more specific about the context of my post or even quoted the OP again. However, given that the topic was about taking action in a given circumstance, I think focusing on one word, and responding to that word rather than the context of the thread, was unnecessary.

Again, I appreciate the spirit of definition behind your post, gareth66, and that you're probably dealing with a point that needs repeating. I just don't think it was a particularly helpful response in this context.
Respect neither opinions nor beliefs; only respect the person and the right to express them.
Play by the rules but be ferocious.
The Playdiplomacy Guide
Across the Whole Board
Malarky
Premium Member

Standard rating: (918)
All-game rating: (1029)

Postby whiteric » 11 Mar 2017, 21:00

thanks for clarify the internal working

quote="super_dipsy"]Let me try to make it totally clear.

Here is how the code works. This is for an Orders phase.

IF one player clicks 'finalize orders'
- Check to see if game should move
- FOREACH country
--- If the country is surrendered, SKIP to next country
--- If the country has no units, SKIP to next country (this is your case)
--- Has country finalized?
------- No, END (no early finish to deadline)
------- Yes, move to next country
- If all countries WITH UNITS and NOT SURRENDERED have finalized, move turn on[/quote]

so if this is true it still does not explain why the HOME & GAME does not show that option

because the way i want to act as quick as i can with each game ... NOT to let games drag on ...
... use the HOME & GAME pages to decide when to check games for actions needing to work with others or finalize moves
whiteric

Standard rating: (824)
All-game rating: (834)
Timezone: GMT-8

PreviousNext

Return to Playing on Site