Contracts

INFORMATION ONLY. Site features.
Forum rules
This sub-forum is for information only. Please post any questions in the appropriate sections of the Forum.
Questions on rules of the game - Rules Questions
Questions on site functions - in the main Information Forum

Contracts

Postby Mock » 28 Jun 2019, 23:29

Hello everyone!

I've started playing Diplomacy recently and I have heard, that in real life sessions players would work out contracts restricting them from invading certain areas or deciding which player gets which provinces. However, I have not found an ingame mechanic to set up mutual contracts between players. Is there one? If not, what can I do as an alternative?

Thanks in advance!
Mock

Re: Contracts

Postby nanooktheeskimo » 29 Jun 2019, 00:11

Very few if any face to face players actually do this—there’s a couple anecdotes about it, but it usually ends with “and then player X ignored it and took Belgium anyways.” It’s not really a part of the game online or in most in person games.

Any agreements you make are totally and completely non binding, and are exclusively verbal in nature.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

I am your (co-) Leader.

GM of WitA 7, WitA 8.

Come play face to face!

Need a forum game GM'ed? PM me!

Mod (but I'm normally not talking as one)
nanooktheeskimo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1209
All-game rating: 1389
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby V » 29 Jun 2019, 00:59

nanooktheeskimo wrote:Very few if any face to face players actually do this—there’s a couple anecdotes about it, but it usually ends with “and then player X ignored it and took Belgium anyways.” It’s not really a part of the game online or in most in person games.

Any agreements you make are totally and completely non binding, and are exclusively verbal in nature.

But on this website everyone always honours any agreement automatically, so there’s never any need to worry :D
Platinum Classicist
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
V

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1718)
All-game rating: (1754)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby DipideeDawg » 29 Jun 2019, 04:52

Mock wrote:Hello everyone!

I've started playing Diplomacy recently and I have heard, that in real life sessions players would work out contracts restricting them from invading certain areas or deciding which player gets which provinces. However, I have not found an ingame mechanic to set up mutual contracts between players. Is there one? If not, what can I do as an alternative?

Thanks in advance!

Contracts, agreements, alliances, and treaties are always worth the paper they are written on. But don't get the impression that Diplomacy is a free-for-all, where lying and duplicity are the standard modi operandi of most players. We all joke about it, of course; but in truth, players who are habitual stabbers, deal-breakers, and PITAs are usually not well received, except as early victims. Not that we avoid using those tactics, but like any tool, overuse leads to diminishing returns. It's the well-timed, well-placed stab that is applauded and most successful. But just remember that agreements are largely opportunistic; game-long agreements, for example, are usually unrealistic or just deceptions.

So, make good agreements, and take precautions; if for no other reason, than to not give the other player the impression you are a sucker. And don't take stabs personally; it's part of the game. Players expect you to stab them, so somebody will likely stab you sooner or later. And if you find it helpful for you to stab an ally, stab big.

Golarth's 3rd law of Diplomacy: Never forget that opponents and allies do things for their own reasons, not yours.
Cousin's Last Theorem: It's only a game. Have fun and keep a sense of humor. (This is one maxim that is sometimes hard to keep in mind!)
DipideeDawg
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1023
All-game rating: 1033
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Mr.E » 30 Jun 2019, 13:14

There are, of course, DMZs (demilitarised zones), NAPs (Non-aggression Pacts) and the like. The mechanics for those is the in-game messaging system.

Contracts, as in "legally binding" agreements would lead to more time arguing over the minutiae than playing the game. There's a reason they're not part of the game rules (more than one, in fact).
Respect neither opinions nor beliefs; only respect the person and the right to express them.
Play by the rules but be ferocious.
Mr.E
Premium Member

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: 966
All-game rating: 1134
Timezone: GMT

Return to Playing on Site