Al-Andalus Spanish Medieval Diplomacy NEEDS ONE MORE

Game with 5 'countries' plus 3 advisors able to work for any nation. Devised by lordelindel and GMd by asudevil. Winner Zarazoga {pjkon)

Re: Al-Andalus Spanish Medieval Diplomacy 1/8

Postby asudevil » 05 Nov 2014, 00:52

jakofipa wrote:

I guess that makes sense. I should be able to do 3/1/1, but perhaps do a longer first phase (like in normal games)? I don't know whether you intended to do that already but I would be happy with 3/1/1 if the first turn was 4 days perhaps to allow more comms?

I generally run the first one at about 5 days
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
asudevil
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1351
All-game rating: 1497
Timezone: GMT-7

Re: Al-Andalus Spanish Medieval Diplomacy 3/8

Postby asudevil » 05 Nov 2014, 00:55

Morg wrote:How do princes earn Dinar? Or do they start with a set amount at the beginning (which would be what?)?

Princes earn no Dinar. The only time Princes have Dinars is if they arrest their Wazir and they get 1/2 his gold to help bribe another Wazir

Are there ways for a prince to pay a Wazir without holding a unit and besides arresting the previous Wazir?

Not to the best of my knowledge...unless Lindal says something

Can a Prince and Wazir haggle over price (for example can a Wazir say, "I'll switch sides and join you, but only if you'll pay me double"?)?

No

Does a Wazir get paid at all if all the Prince's units hold and none move?

If all the princes units hold and none move...it counts as an arrest order for the Wazir

asudevil
Premium Member

Postby Antigonos » 05 Nov 2014, 01:18

I really am quite interested but am in one forum game and about to start another in addition to a few site games so I will have to pass on this one. Please keep me in mind if a second game is organized at some point. Have fun all of you.
Classicists Platinum, Oldies & soldier in Cavalry to the rescue
Samnites 3 draw Ad Arma
Prussia draw Ambition & Empire
USSR in 3 draw Blitzkrieg[
England solo Renaissance
Germany in 6 draw World Influence
Athens 4 draw Greek City States
Zaire solo Africa
Iran 3 draw ModEX II
Antigonos
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1483)
All-game rating: (1517)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby nanooktheeskimo » 05 Nov 2014, 03:43

I'm still thoroughly confused about the rules, but I'm in. Whatever the longest deadline everyone can manage is, that's what I'd prefer, but as long as it's 3 days for orders I can survive
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

I am your (co-) Leader.

GM of WitA 7, WitA 8.

Come play face to face!

Need a forum game GM'ed? PM me!

Mod (but I'm normally not talking as one)
nanooktheeskimo
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1209)
All-game rating: (1389)

Postby asudevil » 05 Nov 2014, 04:07

nanooktheeskimo wrote:I'm still thoroughly confused about the rules, but I'm in. Whatever the longest deadline everyone can manage is, that's what I'd prefer, but as long as it's 3 days for orders I can survive

What parts don't you get?

asudevil
Premium Member

Re: Al-Andalus Spanish Medieval Diplomacy 4/8

Postby nanooktheeskimo » 05 Nov 2014, 04:39

Aaaalll the parts.

I kid, I just need to refresh myself by reading them over again in the next day or two is all.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

I am your (co-) Leader.

GM of WitA 7, WitA 8.

Come play face to face!

Need a forum game GM'ed? PM me!

Mod (but I'm normally not talking as one)
nanooktheeskimo
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1209)
All-game rating: (1389)

Postby jakofipa » 05 Nov 2014, 16:09

asudevil wrote:

If all the princes units hold and none move...it counts as an arrest order for the Wazir

Why is this case? Personally I would think it makes more sense for the it to just act like a full HOLD order and the Wazir gets paid. Unless this upsets the gameplay? It seems unfair to punish the wazir if his prince NMRs.
Also, can the Wazir leave the court of a prince without going to another court directly? E.g. if they know they will be arrested next turn can the abandon the prince without finding a new master?

Also, if the Prince doesn't order a unit to be controlled by wazir, would any order by the wazir be ignored?
Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Bronze member of the Classicist club
Member of the Students club
jakofipa

Standard rating: (961)
All-game rating: (1030)
Timezone: GMT

Postby asudevil » 06 Nov 2014, 01:12

jakofipa wrote:
asudevil wrote:

Why is this case? Personally I would think it makes more sense for the it to just act like a full HOLD order and the Wazir gets paid. Unless this upsets the gameplay? It seems unfair to punish the wazir if his prince NMRs.
Also, can the Wazir leave the court of a prince without going to another court directly? E.g. if they know they will be arrested next turn can the abandon the prince without finding a new master?

Also, if the Prince doesn't order a unit to be controlled by wazir, would any order by the wazir be ignored?

ALL good questions...Lordelindal...its your game...make a ruling on these questions (and Morgs)...AND the one's I posed to you via PM. Otherwise Im going to wash my hands of this game. I think its a great game, but I don't know what you were thinking on design aspect for some of these questions, so Im not the right person to answer these questions.

asudevil
Premium Member

Postby Aeschines » 06 Nov 2014, 18:55

jakofipa wrote:Does a Wazir get paid at all if all the Prince's units hold and none move?

asudevil wrote:If all the princes units hold and none move...it counts as an arrest order for the Wazir

jakofipa wrote:Why is this case? Personally I would think it makes more sense for the it to just act like a full HOLD order and the Wazir gets paid. Unless this upsets the gameplay? It seems unfair to punish the wazir if his prince NMRs.

The way I had designed the game if the Prince NMRs it will count as an ARREST order. That encourages Wazirs to find and stick with Princes who are not the kind of player who may NMR. On the other hand if the Prince did not NMR, but rather ordered every single unit to HOLD than the Wazir would get paid as normal. The reason an NMR cannot pay a Wazir is because otherwise a Wazir would be strongly incentivized to stay sitting on a vacant Prince's territory making huge amounts of money, which would dramatically upset the play balance.

jakofipa wrote:Also, can the Wazir leave the court of a prince without going to another court directly? E.g. if they know they will be arrested next turn can the abandon the prince without finding a new master?

In order for a Wazir to become a free agent they must have been ARRESTed a Wazir cannot chose to become a free agent. This is to force Wazirs to always be searching for another option to go to if they get the impression they are about to be ARRESTed. By forcing Wazirs to always be conversing with Princes, other than their own, it will increase the paranoia level of the Princes and I think generally make the game more communicative and fun. To reiterate: a Wazir CANNOT become a free agent by choice. To leave a Prince's court that free agent must have a new Prince to run to or their movement will fail.

jakofipa wrote:Also, if the Prince doesn't order a unit to be controlled by wazir, would any order by the wazir be ignored?

A Prince need not order a unit to be controlled by the Wazir. An aspect of having a Wazir is that if a Prince leaves a unit "fallow" (i.e. has them HOLD by not issuing them an order) than the Wazir's order will allow that unit to move normally. So a set of orders could look like this:
GOOD wrote:Prince asudevil:
1) Army Val (Valencia) M Alb (Albracin)
2) A Zar (Zaragoza) M Ayy (Ayyud)

GOOD wrote:Wazir jakofipa (working for Prince asudevil of Zaragoza)
1) Fl Bar (Barcelona) M GoL (gulf of Lyon)

This order set would allow all three of the Zaragozan units to move normally.

On the other hand if this order set was given:
BAD wrote:Prince asudevil:
1) Army Val (Valencia) M Alb (Albracin)
2) A Zar (Zaragoza) M Ayy (Ayyud)
3) Fl Bar (Barcelona) M GoV (Gulf of Valencia)

BAD wrote:Wazir jakofipa (working for Prince asudevil of Zaragoza)
1) Fl Bar (Barcelona) M GoL (gulf of Lyon)

The fleet in Barcelona would necessarily HOLD as it was given conflicting orders

Additionally, just as a side not because I realize I haven't addressed it yet- if a Prince orders all of their units to move (whether they have a Wazir or not!) than the unit that automatically receives a HOLD order is determined this way:
1) A unit that was also given an CONFLICTING order by a Wazir HOLDs
2) If no unit was given a CONFLICTING order by a Wazir than the unit which holds is determined in the same way as automatic destroys due to NMRs in diplomacy with respect to the province all the units are in (not where they were given orders to move to)
Platinum Member of the Classicists
Aeschines

Standard rating: 1454
All-game rating: 1640

Postby Aeschines » 06 Nov 2014, 18:59

Morg wrote:How do princes earn Dinar? Or do they start with a set amount at the beginning (which would be what?)?

asudevil wrote:Princes earn no Dinar. The only time Princes have Dinars is if they arrest their Wazir and they get 1/2 his gold to help bribe another Wazir

100% correct.

Morg wrote:
Are there ways for a prince to pay a Wazir without holding a unit and besides arresting the previous Wazir?

asudevil wrote:Not to the best of my knowledge...unless Lindal says something

There is no way for a Prince to pay a Wazir without holding a unit or having dinars from arresting a previous Wazir.

Morg wrote:
Can a Prince and Wazir haggle over price (for example can a Wazir say, "I'll switch sides and join you, but only if you'll pay me double"?)?

asudevil wrote:No

The only haggling can be over what units the Prince will hold to get the Wazir to come. The production of new dinars is a fixed number.
Platinum Member of the Classicists
Aeschines

Standard rating: 1454
All-game rating: 1640

PreviousNext

Return to Al-Andalus Diplomacy [1 Game]