Al-Andalus Spanish Medieval Diplomacy NEEDS ONE MORE

Game with 5 'countries' plus 3 advisors able to work for any nation. Devised by lordelindel and GMd by asudevil. Winner Zarazoga {pjkon)

Re: Al-Andalus Spanish Medieval Diplomacy 5/8

Postby Antigonos » 11 Nov 2014, 02:48

I declined in a prior post and I admit I am unsure as to whether I shall master the rules sufficiently to provide a strong challenge to the others but what the hell. At worst I fall on my face or my arse.

Consider me signed up for the fray.
Classicists Platinum, Oldies & soldier in Cavalry to the rescue
Samnites 3 draw Ad Arma
Prussia draw Ambition & Empire
USSR in 3 draw Blitzkrieg[
England solo Renaissance
Germany in 6 draw World Influence
Athens 4 draw Greek City States
Zaire solo Africa
Iran 3 draw ModEX II
Antigonos
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1483)
All-game rating: (1517)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Al-Andalus Spanish Medieval Diplomacy 5/8

Postby asudevil » 11 Nov 2014, 03:10

tankmaster22 wrote:Alright. Are 7/3/3 deadlines out of the question?

Yes, absolutely....4/2/2 is the longest I will run. Any longer than that and the game drags SO much, NMR's and keeping interest up is next to impossible.
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.

Want to play fantasy football this season here...Reigning Champion
asudevil
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1351
All-game rating: 1497
Timezone: GMT-7

Re: Al-Andalus Spanish Medieval Diplomacy 6/8

Postby Aeschines » 11 Nov 2014, 04:50

I'm so excited! :D :lol: :D

A few more rules questions came up in the interim. While I've answered them in PM I wanted to post the answers here too in case people had the same questions. I've also put a link to the definitive rules in my signature.

During the "Switch Princes" phase can a Wazir voluntarily become a free agent with no arrest order? The rules do not say so, but if they can't then no Wazir can ever solo, since any Wazir that gets close will be instantly arrested by the prince to which he is attached. The only way for a Wazir to win is to get double the money he needs to win and so be invulnerable to an arrest order. What is the truth on this?

That's correct. The best way (as I see it) for a Wazir to solo would be to go to work for a weak Prince, who can't possible win the game, with whom the Wazir has built up a good relationship over the course of the game. Basically, because Wazir's don't own land/troops I wanted their victory to require having convinced one of the Princes to let them. The weak Prince can enact their revenge on the stronger Princes who have betrayed them by harboring the Wazir who can then solo.

The policy reason for not allowing Wazir's to become free-agents of their own accord is that I don't want a Wazir to get super wealthy and then peace off and just be AFK for the rest of the game. Because free-agent Wazirs are invulnerable and I don't want any players to be perfectly safe, if I can avoid it, they can't go into free-agency of their own volition (and when the do become free-agents its after an arrest, so they only have half their dinars).

1) Can a prince hire more then one Wazir? By the rules it seems that they can, and that holding one unit would provide Dinars to both of the Wazirs. This is a little weird considering no real world analogy for doubling wealth like this so I thought I'd check.

2) Can a Wazir order units on the turn he is hired, or must he wait one. The hiring is resolved at the same time as the orders, which is the only reason I think he might have to wait a turn (he's not officially employed so he can't give commands).

1) No, a Prince can never have more than Wazir at any time. Any (attempted) hiring of a second Wazir is null and void.

2) A Wazir cannot issue orders the turn she was hired. You're exactly right. So if she is hired in the spring she can only issues orders in the fall.
Platinum Member of the Classicists
Aeschines

Standard rating: 1454
All-game rating: 1640
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Al-Andalus Spanish Medieval Diplomacy 7/8

Postby BGG » 11 Nov 2014, 19:21

I'm so excited! :D :lol: :D

lordelindel, you just assured my participation. I can't refuse when someone says that.

Anyway, I'll play, but only with the 4/2/2 deadlines. Also, I'm not sure if we're posting our country preferences or not, but if we are, then I really don't care if I'm a king or a Wazir.
BGG

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (980)
All-game rating: (938)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Al-Andalus Spanish Medieval Diplomacy 7/8

Postby asudevil » 11 Nov 2014, 19:56

tankmaster22 wrote:Anyway, I'll play, but only with the 4/2/2 deadlines. Also, I'm not sure if we're posting our country preferences or not, but if we are, then I really don't care if I'm a king or a Wazir.

We aren't posting anything as there will be bidding once we hit 8 players...really I kinda want 9 in case I need a sub.

No offense to anyone, but I don't know any of you guys ... so I don't know if any of you will bail.
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.

Want to play fantasy football this season here...Reigning Champion
asudevil
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1351
All-game rating: 1497
Timezone: GMT-7

Re: Al-Andalus Spanish Medieval Diplomacy NEEDS ONE MORE

Postby sjg11 » 16 Nov 2014, 16:09

This looks interesting.
One of the people in charge of the Mafia forum.
Telleo wrote:The mafia forum, to them,
Sir SJG's known as a gem,
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (908)
All-game rating: (899)
Timezone: GMT

Previous