Sock Returns

Please introduce yourself, so we can get to know you better!

Sock Returns

Postby sock » 06 Feb 2021, 22:05

Friends (and soon to be friends), it's been awhile, but I thought I would stop by the old cafe, sip some brew, and get back in the action a little bit. Don't want to say too much about me, because that's the quickest way to get stabbed. Just know that if I stop by one of your games, you can be ensured scintillating conversation.

I'm sure some of my old friends are just waiting in that dark alley over there (yes, asudevil I'm talking about you.)
Live a little. Laugh a lot.

Gold member, Classicists
User avatar
sock
 
Posts: 1572
Joined: 12 Jul 2010, 04:35
Location: Jersey Shore
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1225
All-game rating: 1274
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Sock Returns

Postby V » 06 Feb 2021, 23:14

A game long tussle with you as Italy & I as Germany not easily forgotten. You got close to a solo in that, which thankfully France helped to prevent. Welcome back to the playground.
Platinum Classicist
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
User avatar
V
 
Posts: 822
Joined: 04 May 2014, 21:28
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1769
All-game rating: 1827
Timezone: GMT-7

Re: Sock Returns

Postby sock » 06 Feb 2021, 23:35

Yes, a painful memory. I had a clear path to 17, but 18? Couldn't make the numbers work. You were (and I'm sure still are) a worth opponent, sir.
Live a little. Laugh a lot.

Gold member, Classicists
User avatar
sock
 
Posts: 1572
Joined: 12 Jul 2010, 04:35
Location: Jersey Shore
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1225
All-game rating: 1274
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Sock Returns

Postby Custer » 07 Feb 2021, 01:05

Welcome back! Why would you ever leave? Oh yeah, that little stint in the joint. I forgot......LoL ;)

By the by, where is ASU? Haven't seen/heard from him for quite some time.

Custer
First..........get off my lawn! Second........it's a dashing self portrait! Courtesy of The Craw. Third.....I am still SHIV, Keeper of the Stone Tablets! Go Pack! And behold the power of cheese! And one more thing. Say ya to da U.P. eh!
User avatar
Custer
Premium Member
 
Posts: 3580
Joined: 24 Jan 2009, 20:29
Location: Sailing somewhere in Da U.P. in Da Whitehawk and an original Yooper!
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1019
All-game rating: 1217
Timezone: GMT-6

Re: Sock Returns

Postby Tarsier » 07 Feb 2021, 02:55

Everyone seems to have left. Except Custer (aka Shiv). I just returned, too.
User avatar
Tarsier
 
Posts: 643
Joined: 03 Dec 2013, 02:39
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1972
All-game rating: 2056
Timezone: GMT-6

Re: Sock Returns

Postby Fatmo » 07 Feb 2021, 06:56

I haven't played a dip game here for years at this point, except for subbing into a Nexus tournament game in a doomed position last year.

But still hang out playing Mafia lol.

Glad to see you Sock. We kept staring right at each other for a year or two, trying to top the other one in the old ranking system, but never managed to actually play together.
You don't know what I'm thinking...because I don't know what I'm doing.

Conq wrote:Fatmo — you are a relentless mountain stream, ever-flowing, slowly but surely carving away at the rock face below.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjEgjTfcEJk
User avatar
Fatmo
 
Posts: 4125
Joined: 04 Oct 2010, 21:28
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1089)
All-game rating: (1050)
Timezone: GMT-8

Re: Sock Returns

Postby MasterGR » 07 Feb 2021, 08:29

sock wrote:Friends (and soon to be friends), it's been awhile, but I thought I would stop by the old cafe, sip some brew, and get back in the action a little bit. Don't want to say too much about me, because that's the quickest way to get stabbed. Just know that if I stop by one of your games, you can be ensured scintillating conversation.

I'm sure some of my old friends are just waiting in that dark alley over there (yes, asudevil I'm talking about you.)


Interestingly, my last game in 2012 before taking a 6+ years break was with you (37150. The Dark Tower). A twist of fate? :) It appears I accepted a draw that didn't include me but which included you in that game, but tbh I don't remember anything else of it! It was at a time of high burnout though, so that's expected. Hopefully our next game will be one for me (and you!) to remember!
Gold Classicists member
User avatar
MasterGR
Premium Member
 
Posts: 242
Joined: 20 Mar 2011, 08:24
Location: Southern California
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1352
All-game rating: 1782
Timezone: GMT-8

Re: Sock Returns

Postby sock » 07 Feb 2021, 16:14

Fatmo wrote:I haven't played a dip game here for years at this point, except for subbing into a Nexus tournament game in a doomed position last year.

But still hang out playing Mafia lol.

Glad to see you Sock. We kept staring right at each other for a year or two, trying to top the other one in the old ranking system, but never managed to actually play together.


So funny. I do remember those "salad days." Too bad the old rankings are there any more.
Live a little. Laugh a lot.

Gold member, Classicists
User avatar
sock
 
Posts: 1572
Joined: 12 Jul 2010, 04:35
Location: Jersey Shore
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1225
All-game rating: 1274
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Sock Returns

Postby sock » 07 Feb 2021, 16:15

MasterGR wrote:
sock wrote:Friends (and soon to be friends), it's been awhile, but I thought I would stop by the old cafe, sip some brew, and get back in the action a little bit. Don't want to say too much about me, because that's the quickest way to get stabbed. Just know that if I stop by one of your games, you can be ensured scintillating conversation.

I'm sure some of my old friends are just waiting in that dark alley over there (yes, asudevil I'm talking about you.)


Interestingly, my last game in 2012 before taking a 6+ years break was with you (37150. The Dark Tower). A twist of fate? :) It appears I accepted a draw that didn't include me but which included you in that game, but tbh I don't remember anything else of it! It was at a time of high burnout though, so that's expected. Hopefully our next game will be one for me (and you!) to remember!


I checked it out in my past games. Still there. A classic example of why an Italian/Turkish alliance can't produce a solo.
Live a little. Laugh a lot.

Gold member, Classicists
User avatar
sock
 
Posts: 1572
Joined: 12 Jul 2010, 04:35
Location: Jersey Shore
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1225
All-game rating: 1274
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Sock Returns

Postby Strategus » 07 Feb 2021, 16:18

I had a solo with an IT
The Devil makes work for idle forces

Better to have fought and lost, than never to have fought at all
Actual Platinum Classicist
I did WDC 2017

UK f2f Champion 2019
Just say "NO!" To carebears and kittens
User avatar
Strategus
 
Posts: 4146
Joined: 30 May 2015, 14:30
Location: England
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1588
All-game rating: 1698
Timezone: GMT

Next

Return to Players & Introductions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests