Sock Returns

Please introduce yourself, so we can get to know you better!

Sock Returns

Postby sock » 06 Feb 2021, 22:05

Friends (and soon to be friends), it's been awhile, but I thought I would stop by the old cafe, sip some brew, and get back in the action a little bit. Don't want to say too much about me, because that's the quickest way to get stabbed. Just know that if I stop by one of your games, you can be ensured scintillating conversation.

I'm sure some of my old friends are just waiting in that dark alley over there (yes, asudevil I'm talking about you.)
Live a little. Laugh a lot.

Gold member, Classicists
sock

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1225
All-game rating: 1274
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Sock Returns

Postby V » 06 Feb 2021, 23:14

A game long tussle with you as Italy & I as Germany not easily forgotten. You got close to a solo in that, which thankfully France helped to prevent. Welcome back to the playground.
Platinum Classicist
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
V

Standard rating: 1769
All-game rating: 1827
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby sock » 06 Feb 2021, 23:35

Yes, a painful memory. I had a clear path to 17, but 18? Couldn't make the numbers work. You were (and I'm sure still are) a worth opponent, sir.

Gold member, Classicists
sock

Postby Custer » 07 Feb 2021, 01:05

Welcome back! Why would you ever leave? Oh yeah, that little stint in the joint. I forgot......LoL ;)

By the by, where is ASU? Haven't seen/heard from him for quite some time.

Custer
First..........get off my lawn! Second........it's a dashing self portrait! Courtesy of The Craw. Third.....I am still SHIV, Keeper of the Stone Tablets! Go Pack! And behold the power of cheese! And one more thing. Say ya to da U.P. eh!
Custer
Premium Member

Location: Sailing somewhere in Da U.P. in Da Whitehawk and an original Yooper!
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1019
All-game rating: 1217
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Tarsier » 07 Feb 2021, 02:55

Everyone seems to have left. Except Custer (aka Shiv). I just returned, too.
Tarsier

Standard rating: 1972
All-game rating: 2056
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Fatmo » 07 Feb 2021, 06:56

I haven't played a dip game here for years at this point, except for subbing into a Nexus tournament game in a doomed position last year.

But still hang out playing Mafia lol.

Glad to see you Sock. We kept staring right at each other for a year or two, trying to top the other one in the old ranking system, but never managed to actually play together.
You don't know what I'm thinking...because I don't know what I'm doing.

Conq wrote:Fatmo — you are a relentless mountain stream, ever-flowing, slowly but surely carving away at the rock face below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjEgjTfcEJk
Fatmo

Standard rating: (1089)
All-game rating: (1050)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby MasterGR » 07 Feb 2021, 08:29

sock wrote:Friends (and soon to be friends), it's been awhile, but I thought I would stop by the old cafe, sip some brew, and get back in the action a little bit. Don't want to say too much about me, because that's the quickest way to get stabbed. Just know that if I stop by one of your games, you can be ensured scintillating conversation.

I'm sure some of my old friends are just waiting in that dark alley over there (yes, asudevil I'm talking about you.)

Interestingly, my last game in 2012 before taking a 6+ years break was with you (37150. The Dark Tower). A twist of fate? :) It appears I accepted a draw that didn't include me but which included you in that game, but tbh I don't remember anything else of it! It was at a time of high burnout though, so that's expected. Hopefully our next game will be one for me (and you!) to remember!
Gold Classicists member
MasterGR
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1352
All-game rating: 1782
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby sock » 07 Feb 2021, 16:14

Fatmo wrote:I haven't played a dip game here for years at this point, except for subbing into a Nexus tournament game in a doomed position last year.

But still hang out playing Mafia lol.

Glad to see you Sock. We kept staring right at each other for a year or two, trying to top the other one in the old ranking system, but never managed to actually play together.

So funny. I do remember those "salad days." Too bad the old rankings are there any more.

Gold member, Classicists
sock

Postby sock » 07 Feb 2021, 16:15

MasterGR wrote:
sock wrote:Friends (and soon to be friends), it's been awhile, but I thought I would stop by the old cafe, sip some brew, and get back in the action a little bit. Don't want to say too much about me, because that's the quickest way to get stabbed. Just know that if I stop by one of your games, you can be ensured scintillating conversation.

Interestingly, my last game in 2012 before taking a 6+ years break was with you (37150. The Dark Tower). A twist of fate? :) It appears I accepted a draw that didn't include me but which included you in that game, but tbh I don't remember anything else of it! It was at a time of high burnout though, so that's expected. Hopefully our next game will be one for me (and you!) to remember!

I checked it out in my past games. Still there. A classic example of why an Italian/Turkish alliance can't produce a solo.

Gold member, Classicists
sock

Postby Strategus » 07 Feb 2021, 16:18

I had a solo with an IT
The Devil makes work for idle forces

Better to have fought and lost, than never to have fought at all