A sad announcement

Please introduce yourself, so we can get to know you better!

A sad announcement

Postby AleBelly » 20 Aug 2020, 20:11

Hi all,

Some of you may have noticed that Shyvve (or Tom, to those of us that knew him beyond the avatar) hasn't been around the last couple of months, and that he uncharacteristically abandoned a game or two. I found out yesterday through on online trivia league that my fears were confirmed and Shyvve has passed away. Below are some words from his sister and an acquaintance that match my impression of him. Farewell, Tom. You will be missed.

I have very sad news to report: TuggleJ (James Thomas Tuggle III) died of a heart attack on June 18. He was 57. He lived outside of Van, Texas, was a scientist, but spent the last few years of his life as a caretaker to his mother.

I didn't know Tom personally. I was interviewing my coworker Heather, Tom's younger sister, who went to Texas to be with her mother and subsequently got coronavirus. She told me about him and one of his loves was a "kinda elite online trivia league." The rest are her words:

"He was so gentle. We was the kindest person. He was so smart...patient. As a kid I never thought I was good at math or science, but he was such a good teacher and such a good tutor. He would read physics books for fun. And when we were cleaning up all of his things we found all these albums. He loved music and he had gone through a phase where he collected all these marches. He'd have all these John Philip Sousa albums and then he went through a phase where he was into Tchaikovsky, and so he had all these different orchestra renditions of Tchaikovsky. And then he had all these Frank Zappa albums. He had a quiet but interesting life. He was in a very secluded place, and so people loved him because he was so kind and gentle but he didn't talk to a lot of people. I think the only people he really talked to were my family and people in his trivia group. He was in this kinda elite online trivia league, I guess he had to be invited? I don't know the details. He was generous, selfless, he was a great guy. He was too young. He still had more to give."
AleBelly

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1185)
All-game rating: (1170)
Timezone: GMT

Re: A sad announcement

Postby V » 20 Aug 2020, 20:23

That’s really very sad. We shared so many happy exchanges on PlayDip in games & PM. He mentioned taking care of his Mom in rural Texas, which seemed a happy existence & he appeared to love life in every aspect. A great loss to his family I’m sure.
Platinum Classicist
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
V

Standard rating: (1769)
All-game rating: (1827)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 20 Aug 2020, 20:51

I am so sorry to hear that. Shyvve was great fun to have on the roster of players, and he will be missed.
Forum Admin & New Variant Development Assistant

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (1466)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Jack007 » 20 Aug 2020, 21:06

Yes that's very sad, a real loss. There are always the best leaving first. He was such a gentle Dip player and mentor. He will live in our hearts.

:cry:

Jack007
Jack007 (xxxx.) unbanned for dubious reasons
Member of the Honorables
There is no greater solitude than the samurai's,
unless it be that of the tiger in the jungle… perhaps…
-bushido
Jack007
Premium Member

Location: Greece (Katakolon Peloponnese) ⛵ Instagram @jack060856
Standard rating: 1529
All-game rating: 1626
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby Sheddy » 20 Aug 2020, 21:07

Oh this is such sad news!

I was a player in one the games that he so uncharacteristically abandoned; the explanation for this indeed confirms the worst fears. I hope it is appropriate for me to quote an extract from one of the last messages he sent me within that game. I won't give the full context, but I'd shared with him some of my own problems affecting my enjoyment of the game.
Amongst other advice he said:
"Whatever your mind and heart tells you, just do that. I've enjoyed meeting you and our talking."

Based on what has been shared in AleBelly's post, I suspect that this statement is representative of his attitude to and support for others in all aspects of life.

If it is possible, do please pass on my condolences to his family and friends.
Nation shall speak peace unto nation
- at least until spring 1901 orders are opened.

Do you dislike games spoiled by surrenders and missed orders? If so, please consider adding your name to the database of reliable players at The Classicists
Sheddy
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1047)
All-game rating: (1044)

Postby Iamnobody » 20 Aug 2020, 21:11

As said before, this is a real loss to the community.

I was playing with him in his last PDL game. I didn't know it was him for sure until he had surrendered, but I had a feeling it was him just by the way he was talking to me.

I'm going to put part of his last message to me below. I think it is something we all need to remember sometimes.

"Finding ways to 'get along' and enjoy the game is part of the deal, when not 'getting along' in the game. I really enjoy the social aspect of Diplomacy and talking with folks, regardless how it's going for me."
Heptarchy XVI - Wales - 6-way draw winner
Days of Enlightenment II - Sweden - 8-way draw winner
Blitzkrieg 4 - UK - Survivor
Iamnobody

Standard rating: 1056
All-game rating: 1072
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Phlegmatic » 20 Aug 2020, 22:16

Extremely sad news.

I was only lucky enough to have played Shyvve once, but he was great fun, wonderful help, and a clear asset to the community.

May he rest in peace :cry:
Phlegmatic
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1462
All-game rating: 1517

Postby AdmiralMotti » 20 Aug 2020, 22:42

I played with Shyvve twice, including one of his last games. I can honestly say that no other player taught me more about this game, even in my short time here at PlayDip. I appreciated the fact that he would always give an incredibly thoughtful response when he had the time, or conveyed his regret when he did not.

I don't have a good quote to pass on from our games, but I will share the thing about Shyvve that resonated with me. He never once spoke ill of any of the other players in our games, and always defended them if there was even a hint of criticism of their play or personality. More than anything else, that is what I'll remember about Shyvve, and what I'll try to carry forward as a small part of his legacy.

We'll miss him greatly.

AdmiralMotti
Bronze Classicist
AdmiralMotti

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1009)
All-game rating: (1014)

Postby Badger1991 » 20 Aug 2020, 22:44

Very sad news to hear.

Perhaps we can consider naming one of the next tournaments in his honor.

Badger1991
Badger1991
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1663
All-game rating: 1774
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby V » 20 Aug 2020, 23:33

This is my favourite quote from Shyvve. The background is he was Mentor for a Schools game. He was so good at that. I was a vet surrender replacement. It was a quite weekend phase & he asked for tales of Diplomacy games past, to enliven public press. I decided he should provide the tale. We had shared an epic game, he as Germany, I as Austria,in which he had pretty much outplayed the entire board. I saw solo written all over it & Shyvve had definitely earned the result.
It ended in a bizarre 5-way, instigated & proposed by Shyvve. He told the tale & said he still cringed at the memory of that end game. This is how he summed it up, typical Shyvve.

See guys, this game CAN be fun. Even the games where we let ourselves get bent out of shape in the heat of the moment - once time has gone by - things become a lot less intense and you can look back too and say...'wow, I actually did that, lol.'

Best Regards V
Platinum Classicist
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
V

Standard rating: (1769)
All-game rating: (1827)
Timezone: GMT-7

Next

Return to Players & Introductions