Topdip joins the fray

Please introduce yourself, so we can get to know you better!

Topdip joins the fray

Postby Topdip » 15 Dec 2017, 05:28

Hi everyone, just wanted to introduce myself to everyone.

I last played this game over 25 years ago via snail mail and World Dipcon in Birmingham in the days before internet. I'm looking forward to playing a game that won't literally take years to finish but with family and work commitments my preference is to join a more leisurely paced 3 or 5 day game.

I'm not sure I will even remember the rules and I certainly don't remember the strategies so I want to join a mentored non ranked game to start with.

I'm English, live in Mexico, have two kids and two businesses. I love football (the real one that Americans call soccer) but I do watch the American version of rugby too!

Flipboard is my favorite source for reading material and I haven't lied once in this post, honest!

Look forward to getting to know you all and meeting my first allies and enemies in a game!

Topdip
Topdip

Re: Topdip joins the fray

Postby V » 15 Dec 2017, 09:49

Welcome to PlayDip

I joined a while back in a similar manner after a long interlude. The mentor games are a great way to start. Amusingly I’m English, live in Costa Rica & have satellite TV purely to watch English football (specifically West Ham, don’t laugh, yes I know they’ve been awful this year). Enjoy the Diplomacy, this site is great.

V
Platinum Classicist
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
V

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1691
All-game rating: 1717
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby Topdip » 15 Dec 2017, 16:00

V wrote:Welcome to PlayDip

I joined a while back in a similar manner after a long interlude. The mentor games are a great way to start. Amusingly I’m English, live in Costa Rica & have satellite TV purely to watch English football (specifically West Ham, don’t laugh, yes I know they’ve been awful this year). Enjoy the Diplomacy, this site is great.

V

I have a friend in Costa Rica and visiting him is on my to do list. I've always wanted to go there.

You must be thrilled to have Moyes lol. I also know a Finnish guy where I live that's a massive hammer fan, tattoo and everything.

I'm a red so it's not been a good week for me with the football. Two dull draws.
Topdip

Postby V » 15 Dec 2017, 16:10

You must visit your friend & take a look. This country is paradise on earth. The best place I’ve lived by any measure (4 different Continents, over 31 years as an expat). Been here 6 years now & could never consider living elsewhere.

Oh West Ham... Could never support another team cos’ family originate from the east end, but what a trial. Never know, we might get fabulously rich owners one day & become the next citeh. Best of luck on Sunday.
Platinum Classicist
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
V

Postby StarWatcher009 » 16 Dec 2017, 01:54

Topdip wrote:
I'm a red so it's not been a good week for me with the football. Two dull draws.

Another one!
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
StarWatcher009

Standard rating: 1067
All-game rating: 1486
Timezone: GMT

Postby Topdip » 19 Dec 2017, 02:25

V wrote:You must visit your friend & take a look. This country is paradise on earth. The best place I’ve lived by any measure (4 different Continents, over 31 years as an expat). Been here 6 years now & could never consider living elsewhere.

Oh West Ham... Could never support another team cos’ family originate from the east end, but what a trial. Never know, we might get fabulously rich owners one day & become the next citeh. Best of luck on Sunday.

Fair dues to Moyes, after 3 disastrous management spells he's getting you points in the board. You must be delighted with the weekend result.

Personally I don't care for his dour personality and tactics and of course being an ex Everton and Manc manager doesn't help.

Although I have to say I did enjoy his spell with the Mancs
Topdip

Postby V » 19 Dec 2017, 02:47

Indeed a relegation avoidance season is the best I could hope for this year, so dour & successful is OK.
I’ll judge him by his summer recruitment (& deadwood disposal e.g. AC) as to whether I want him to stay longer.
Bear in mind the years under Big Sam have inured me a bit to awful tactics getting results. Lucky Everton.
I was especially delighted on Saturday, as I cannot stand Stoke (under either Welsh git, past or present).
Apologies to all Welsh readers.

The highlights for this season so far have been the delight of seeing both Mourinho & Conte completely slaughtered by Guardiola & the Spurs pretenders having their end of season meltdown, in time for Christmas (always my favourites of course). Pulls fired was a nice bonus too.

Liverpool might have picked the wrong year to be good again. I’d fancy their chances if it weren’t for City running away with it. I also think the standard of refereeing/linesmen is significantly better than last season, which bodes well. Enjoy the footie.
Platinum Classicist
V

Postby Topdip » 19 Dec 2017, 04:02

Liverpool decimate anyone that plays football, I'll ignore the City and Spurs results, but that just encourages the kind of tactics displayed by Everton and WBA which result in an awful spectacle.

I very much doubt we will get 2nd, which your comment would imply we should do but we should be top 4 and whilst I'm completely biased I do think the quality of our football deserves it compared to the crappie Maurinho football of the Mancs.

Did you see the Manc vs Arsenal game the other week? De Gea was incredible. I think they'd be in big trouble is Madrid can convince him to move
Topdip

Postby V » 19 Dec 2017, 07:09

I think Liverpool have a shot at second. I can see the Mancs crashing & burning this season, cos they are just squeezing results currently, while Liverpool are still improving. Chelsea might cling to second, but I don’t rate anyone else. Indeed the Arsenal v Utd game was a joke. Mourinho cannot get enough wins to keep his job playing like that. Moyes, LVG both proved Utd demand more from their managers. Another reason the likes of De Gea will leave, which is curtains for Mourinho. Couldn’t happen to a nicer guy.
Platinum Classicist
V

Return to Players