Hello

Please introduce yourself, so we can get to know you better!

Hello

Postby RichardListens » 09 Sep 2017, 08:49

Hello,

I'm new to the site. I played Diplomacy back in the late seventies a few times when I bought the game and persuaded my friends to play. I was the only one who read the rules and being 15 didn't pay the attention I should have. So we played an accelerated version where units could move and support other units at the same time. Yeah we got it wrong but still enjoyed it and had some cracking games. How I remember the joy of stabbing my best friend to win and take the last few centres I needed. He was so hurt he didn't talk to me for days.

I'm very glad to have stumbled across the site and may well sign up for premium in time. Just a little wary of doing so as I am a bit of an addict and if i do might lose the rest of my life.

Hope to meet you on the board sometime.
Aspiring Classicist
RichardListens
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1079
All-game rating: 1036
Timezone: GMT

Re: Hello

Postby Hybrid » 09 Sep 2017, 09:00

Hello and welcome Richard!

RichardListens wrote:Yeah we got it wrong but still enjoyed it and had some cracking games.

Heh, about a month ago I completed a game of squad leader where my buddy and I for kicks he gave our units some extra range when firing. Was pretty intense to have some REALLY long range battles lol. It's all good, there's never a right or wrong way to have fun right?
-Steve
Hybrid
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1226
All-game rating: 1191
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby sinnybee » 09 Sep 2017, 09:16

Welcome to playdiplomacy.com, the biggest and the bestest :)
Glad to have you join the party here, Richard
When I first read your post, I was like wow, he's old, but then, I was like oh ok, he's younger than my dad, so congratulations, you're not old in my book haha.
I've gotten premium 4 years on this site--the premium-only game variants here are great :D I've never played more than 3-5 games here at once--you can enjoy the variants without being addicted :)
And never forget, as you've learned on the thread from your first post, sinnybee > gsmx
Always sinnybee > gsmx
Gold Classicist since 1-11-11
FT Asst GM of 35 player WWIV Aug 2011-Feb 2012
#1 ranked player of playdip early 2013
4th highest forum karma count at Apr 2013 ending (behind Craw, Dipsy, and Rick)
Tournament Director of the 31 game PDVT Feb-Dec 2014, the first playdip tourney with over 100 sign-ups
sinnybee

Standard rating: (1332)
All-game rating: (1467)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby GPD » 09 Sep 2017, 10:00

sinnybee wrote:When I first read your post, I was like wow, he's old, but then, I was like oh ok, he's younger than my dad, so congratulations, you're not old in my book haha.

Just to add some context, from my experience there is a really good number of people of the same classic vintage (including me) who use this website. So you are in good company. And welcome to you too.
The Devil makes work for idle forces

Better to have fought and lost, than never to have fought at all
Never NMR(Damnit!), Never Surrender
Actual Platinum Classicist
I did WDC 2017
GPD

Standard rating: 1707
All-game rating: 1745

Postby Don Juan of Austria » 09 Sep 2017, 11:47

RichardListens wrote:Hello,

I'm new to the site. I played Diplomacy back in the late seventies a few times when I bought the game and persuaded my friends to play. I was the only one who read the rules and being 15 didn't pay the attention I should have. So we played an accelerated version where units could move and support other units at the same time. Yeah we got it wrong but still enjoyed it and had some cracking games. How I remember the joy of stabbing my best friend to win and take the last few centres I needed. He was so hurt he didn't talk to me for days.

I'm very glad to have stumbled across the site and may well sign up for premium in time. Just a little wary of doing so as I am a bit of an addict and if i do might lose the rest of my life.

Hope to meet you on the board sometime.

Welcome! For some reason, all of my American friends take stabs as part of the game when I play them face to face. But my South African friends are the ones that would be remembering the "incident" for awhile!

Its good to have! Addiction is forgivable. ;)
"In everything, moderation". ~Aristotle
A proud member of the Whippersnappers,
Bronze Classicists,
and Lancer in the PBF cavalry.

Northern California in Emergence,
Britain in Colonial 7,
Hojo Ujimasu in Sengoku.
Don Juan of Austria

Standard rating: 1041
All-game rating: 1060
Timezone: GMT+2

Postby The SHIV » 09 Sep 2017, 17:04

Welcome aboard!

The SHIV
First..........get off my lawn! Second........it's an Admirals Cheesehead! Courtesy of The Craw. Third.....I am SHIV, SHIV of the Stone Tablets! Go Pack!
The SHIV
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1164
All-game rating: 1219
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Guns of Brixton » 09 Sep 2017, 18:58

Welcome aboard. And being a teenager in the late 70's doesn't make you old, you're just mature (always happy to add another player about 5 years older than me to make me feel young...er)

The addiction can be hard to avoid. I find myself having to scale back now and again, but even after the occasional cooling off period, I keep coming back. And I'm not just talking about alcohol - Diplomacy is pretty good too! You've found a great site and community here and you'll be able to find games against some of the most talented players out there. Welcome and good luck!
Platinum Classicist
Mentor
Guns of Brixton
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1613
All-game rating: 1691

Return to Players