AardvarkArmy Returns

Please introduce yourself, so we can get to know you better!

AardvarkArmy Returns

Postby AardvarkArmy » 19 Oct 2019, 17:27

Greetings all Friends and Foes!

I disappeared from the site about 14 months ago, quite ignominiously.

I had just completed the 2018 version of “War in the Americas” playing as Colombia, and it was a spectacularly Dickensonian experience – the best of times and the worst of times. :shock:

I played my best gave EVER. I managed to complete 7 game years without suffering a single defeat – no centers taken, no units destroyed, no territories lost, no retreats. I don’t believe I have ever seen another play accomplish such a feat in any game I have played. :D

Then it became my worst game ever. I was the clear center leader late in the game, with two strong allies… what could go wrong? A brilliantly executed stab, laying bare the reality that I had overextended my reach and underestimated the threat posed by my “allies.” I faded from dominant game leader to complete elimination. . I don’t believe I have ever seen another play accomplish such a feat in any game I have played. :cry:

I disappeared from the site before writing an AAR to the game (congrats to my stabbers - scumbags, but genius strategists!!), in part because the shocking turn of events left me bitterly disappointed… but in part because real-world travails consumed me:

In the months since I faded from view, I worked two jobs (a full-time professional gig plus driving Lyft – uggh!) to save $$$ ... and worked countless additional hours planning and packing and prepping and completing documents, because…

I retired this past summer, loaded my elderly father and my dog into the car to drive cross-country from California to Miami, loaded the dog on air cargo, then flew with my father to start a new life in Medellin, Colombia. :lol:

Yes, Colombia – the same country that I played to spectacular greatness then to spectacular collapse in the WITA game! :shock:

Because of all my planning and prep work, we had already obtained our permanent resident visas from the Colombian consulate in San Francisco, and I had already opened a Bancolombia account and obtained an apartment on a prior visit. So we arrived to a ready-made new home, and hit the ground running obtaining local photo ID’s, health insurance, etc. 8-)

Sooo… I am retired! I now have LOTS of time on my hands. Most of that “free time” will be dedicated to exploring the new city, learning Spanish, and pursuing my fiction writing – which was the key purpose of taking early retirement. :geek:

But I will now also have time to get back into some games. Soooo….

I’M BACK!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Best wishes to all of you!

AardvarkArmy
SOLOS
ICE&FIRE.1-Martell/EXCALIBUR.1-Angles/EXCALIBUR.2-Scots/EMERALD-Sno/MOD.4-Italy/SENGOKU.1-OdaNobu/S.AMERICA.1-Peru

DRAWS
1930-China/BattleIsleA-Winterfell/S&S-Turkey/WORLD INFL-Venezuela/LECRAE-Dublin/WWIV.2-Cali/IMPERIAL1861.1-Trky/YNGSTWN.1-Grmny/AMERICAS.2-Mex/AFRICAN.2-S.Arabia
AardvarkArmy
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1057
All-game rating: 1234
Timezone: GMT-8

Re: AardvarkArmy Returns

Postby Custer » 19 Oct 2019, 18:54

Welcome back! We met a couple times on the field of battle years ago. My handle then was rshivy.

Anyway, hope to meet you again sometime.

The SHIV
First..........get off my lawn! Second........it's a dashing self portrait! Courtesy of The Craw. Third.....I am still SHIV, Keeper of the Stone Tablets! Go Pack!
Custer
Premium Member

Location: Sailing somewhere in the Rockies on the Black Pearl but originally a Yooper!
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1108
All-game rating: 1082
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby TheCraw » 20 Oct 2019, 02:48

I'm not here, but Welcome Back!
(Nice Avatar)

Always nice to see one of the "Old Guard" reappear.
Of course, the fact that the word "old" in "old Guard" is sadly accurate, and that I too, and retired before I expected too is slightly depressing.
Very clever, Mr. Smart...
TheCraw

Class: Shropshire slasher
All-game rating: 1,000,000
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby uzes90 » 20 Oct 2019, 13:54

Welcome back !

Just curious - why Columbia? I live in NYC and looking for a good place to "retire to"... still working from home :)
Do you have family or friends there?
uzes90
Premium Member

Location: ...appears here and there - now and then - to this one and that one...
Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 1749

Postby asudevil » 20 Oct 2019, 15:28

Welcome back ... one of my favorite people to stab... um. I mean... play with. It’s great to see you. Hope Columbia is treating you well and the ladies swoon at your American accent. I can’t wait to play a game with you. Let me know what you join so I may have the privilege of watching you play (while I talk mad shit about you)
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
asudevil
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1351
All-game rating: 1437
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby AardvarkArmy » 20 Oct 2019, 16:23

asudevil wrote:Welcome back ... one of my favorite people to stab... um. I mean... play with. It’s great to see you. Hope Columbia is treating you well and the ladies swoon at your American accent. I can’t wait to play a game with you. Let me know what you join so I may have the privilege of watching you play (while I talk mad shit about you)

EDIT: "... and the hunky guys swoon at your American accent." :mrgreen:

(I've been gone too long - you forgot everything about me!!!! That's a good thing - perhaps you also forgot my best stabbing techniques!!! :o :lol: :lol: :lol: )
SOLOS
ICE&FIRE.1-Martell/EXCALIBUR.1-Angles/EXCALIBUR.2-Scots/EMERALD-Sno/MOD.4-Italy/SENGOKU.1-OdaNobu/S.AMERICA.1-Peru

DRAWS
1930-China/BattleIsleA-Winterfell/S&S-Turkey/WORLD INFL-Venezuela/LECRAE-Dublin/WWIV.2-Cali/IMPERIAL1861.1-Trky/YNGSTWN.1-Grmny/AMERICAS.2-Mex/AFRICAN.2-S.Arabia
AardvarkArmy
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1057
All-game rating: 1234
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby asudevil » 20 Oct 2019, 17:45

AardvarkArmy wrote:
asudevil wrote:Welcome back ... one of my favorite people to stab... um. I mean... play with. It’s great to see you. Hope Columbia is treating you well and the ladies swoon at your American accent. I can’t wait to play a game with you. Let me know what you join so I may have the privilege of watching you play (while I talk mad shit about you)

EDIT: "... and the hunky guys swoon at your American accent." :mrgreen:

(I've been gone too long - you forgot everything about me!!!! That's a good thing - perhaps you also forgot my best stabbing techniques!!! :o :lol: :lol: :lol: )

Damn I thought that was it too... but I wasn’t sure... and it’s “safer” to be wrong the way I was. Either way... welcome home.
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
asudevil
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1351
All-game rating: 1437
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby TheCraw » 21 Oct 2019, 17:06

Never been to Columbia myself, but I was offered a necktie from there once.... :lol:
Very clever, Mr. Smart...
TheCraw

Class: Shropshire slasher
All-game rating: 1,000,000

Postby JimHacker » 15 Nov 2019, 23:01

You know I have never won a single game. Not even close. I don't know why I keep coming back for more but I do anyway.
JimHacker

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (949)
All-game rating: (952)

Postby Custer » 16 Nov 2019, 01:13

Play a game with me and The Craw and you'll have a real good chance of hitting pay dirt......LOL

Custer
First..........get off my lawn! Second........it's a dashing self portrait! Courtesy of The Craw. Third.....I am still SHIV, Keeper of the Stone Tablets! Go Pack!
Custer
Premium Member

Location: Sailing somewhere in the Rockies on the Black Pearl but originally a Yooper!
Standard rating: 1108
All-game rating: 1082
Timezone: GMT-6

Return to Players & Introductions