Olster is here!

Please introduce yourself, so we can get to know you better!

Olster is here!

Postby olster21 » 11 May 2021, 23:49

Hello Everyone, Olster (he/him) here, from England! I’ve been playing diplomacy for the last few months on backstabbr, though I’ve decided to move over to playdip through the suggestion of Oxmeister, who’s quite an active player here in the forums. I’m liking the community already :) I’ve joined a game, and hopefully can get to ambassador soon enough!
olster21
Premium Member

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 1000
Timezone: GMT

Re: Olster is here!

Postby Oxmeister » 12 May 2021, 00:04

Welcome Olster, it's good to see you here. You have made a fine choice in joining playdip.

Ambassador is easy - don't NMR ;)
Oxmeister
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1324
All-game rating: 1492

Postby TheCraw » 12 May 2021, 18:41

Hello and Welcome "Olster"

The best place to familiarize yourself with how to play Diplomacy via the website is the Rules/New Players section. I recommend reading through all the tabs, even if you know all about playing the board game, the website can be different, especially the variants.

Many of the most helpful bits of information for a new player are in the PlayDip Academy sub-forum. Where many of the links to rules, guidelines, mentored games and such can be found.

A vitally important page to look at is the House Rules Page Playing Diplomacy on the internet carries with it all sorts of pitfalls and ways for players to accidentally (or NOT accidentally) end up doing something that is not allowed.
(Like using more than one account, or teaming up with a friend to clean up in games.)

The best way to then get comfortable is to join a NON-ranked game. (Abominable failure is the best teacher!) We also have started having games involving 6 new players, and one "Seasoned Mentor" to help teach new players the proper methods of inserting sharp implements into each-other's backs. Details of this are here.

Once you have your sea-legs so to speak, look for games posted in the Games Forum, especially password games, it limits the players to those who are serious.

You might also look into signing up for a Premium Account. You may then engage in more than three games simultaneously, and participate in the numerous variations (Winter 1900, Build Anywhere, Fleet-in-Rome, Age Of Empires, Ancient Mediterranean, Milan-Italy, Chaos, Anonymous, Gunboat, Public Press Only, Fog-Of-War, et al). You would also enjoy the advantages of being able to participate in “Live Games”, Premium discussion boards and the “Premium Lounge” (wherein cookies and milk are thoughtfully provided) and the benefits of being provided with detailed statistics about one’s style of play.

All this, for the paltry sum of $25 a year. Y'can't beat that with a stick.

Sincerely,
The Craw!

Please find attached your complimentary avatar:
Very clever, Mr. Smart...
TheCraw
Premium Member

Class: Shropshire slasher
All-game rating: 1,000,000
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby olster21 » 12 May 2021, 21:01

hah! Knew someone would pull out that pun again :D I don't have a stance on What ever is going on in Northern Ireland, put to good of an opportunity to pass up ;)
olster21
Premium Member

Postby TheCraw » 13 May 2021, 06:22

olster21 wrote:hah! Knew someone would pull out that pun again :D I don't have a stance on What ever is going on in Northern Ireland, put to good of an opportunity to pass up ;)

Well, it beats pointing out if you add an "H", and change 21 to .22
......you'd be a real son-of-a-gun!
Very clever, Mr. Smart...
TheCraw
Premium Member

Class: Shropshire slasher
All-game rating: 1,000,000
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby schocker » 13 May 2021, 19:57

The main thing I didn't know is that surrendering when you have lost is a bad thing. Don't do it. Just keep playing. I surrendered like 5 times before I knew it was frowned upon. You bad if you do it.

Cheers
Have fun and remember it is a game.
Member of The Classicists
schocker
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1370
All-game rating: 1367
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby olster21 » 13 May 2021, 23:59

Yep, surrendering if you're doing poorly is just bad sportsmanship IMO.
olster21
Premium Member

Return to Players & Introductions