Tournament Relaunch: ELIMINATOR

A tournament where you need to not lose in order to survive. TD: rick.leeds

Tournament Relaunch: ELIMINATOR

Postby rick.leeds » 01 May 2014, 10:32

This is a tournament I was going to run before things went pear-shaped. We got to the point previously where I was accepting sign-ups. I think it is time to look at this again. I know there Sinny's Versailles Tournament is running and I know Versailles takes up a lot of time to play. ELIMINATOR will not take up a huge amount of time, however... one game per round. Classic Dip. The number of rounds will depend on the number of entrants.

Below, then, are the Tournament Rules and a new sign-up post. If you are interested, please read the Rules first. The final structure will be presented when I know what it is!

Just FYI, I run sign-ups using the following system:
1. Players can sign-up by adding their name to the list below or by PMing me.
2. There is, at present, no final date for accepting sign-ups. This WILL be introduced when we reach a number of competitors that is nearing a multiple of 7 and the process has been open for enough time to give people the chance to sign-up.
2(a). If necessary, to achieve a multiple of 7 entrants, I may extend the above date.
2(b). If, after the sign-up date has been reached and potentially extended, we do not have a multiple of 7, the later sign-ups that are beyond a multiple of 7 will be placed on the reserves list. If you do not wish to act as a reserve, you will have the option of withdrawing.
3. When I have a list of sign-ups, you will be sent a PM asking for confirmation that you wish to participate in the tournament. If you do not respond then you will be removed.

Organising Games.
When I set games up, you will be sent a PM informing you of the game number and name, the power assigned to you and the password. You will need to follow these instructions exactly. Entering information inaccurately delays the start of games and causes me a lot of frustration ;) Errors can be circumvented, of course, so please do let me know if you make a mistake. Players are expected to register to a game as soon as possible. Players who delay registering may be removed from the tournament, depending upon the circumstances.

I will answer any questions here, although I won't be changing any of the Rules presented below.

EDIT: I should have added that any players who signed-up for the first attempt will be given priority.
World Diplomacy Forum.
Online Resources editor at the Diplomatic Pouch.
Don't let the stepladder get you. Watch where you're stepping. ANY step could be a doozy.
rick.leeds
Site Admin
Site Admin

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1158)
All-game rating: (1070)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Tournament Relaunch: ELIMINATOR

Postby Palin » 01 May 2014, 10:36

Sign me up, Rick.

Sent from Tapatalk on Nokia Lumia 920
Sooner or later the man who wears two faces forgets which one is real... and thus a stabbing occurs!

Gold member of the Classicists
Palin

Standard rating: (886)
All-game rating: (800)
Timezone: GMT+2

Tournament Rules

Postby rick.leeds » 01 May 2014, 10:49

A. TERMS DEFINED
1. TOURNAMENT: The series of games involved.
2. ROUND: Each part of the Qualifying Phase.
4. PLAYER: A member of the site who signs-up to the tournament.
5. TD: Tournament Director, the member of site who organises and runs the tournament.
6. TR: Tournament Referee. If I can find a member to act as the TR, this role will be to cover any possible appeals to actions taken by the TD. If no other member can be found, the TD will (reluctantly) take up this role.
6. GAME START: The details sent out by the TD to players for each game. Includes: name, password, assignment.

B. ENTERING THE TOURNAMENT
To enter the tournament, players must be Premium members and commit to playing out the Tournament.
Entrants must sign-up below or via PM sent to the TD and must confirm when asked to do so. Confirmation will be sought by Private Message.

C. STRUCTURE
Round One
Maximum number of players allowed in a draw = 5 (no draw will be allowed with more than this number of players).
When all games have finished or reached the end game date, progression will be based upon all players surviving in their games.
~ R1 Elimination tie-breaks, where there are LESS than the required number of players for R2; players will be returned to the tournament based on:
1. Season eliminated, where a later elimination is better than an earlier elimination; then
2. Positions of players in their respective games when eliminated based upon first eliminated being 7th, second eliminated being 6th, etc; then
3. Positions in their games at the latest comparable point (ie if one game finished later than the other, the later-finishing game would omit the turns beyond the date at which the earlier-finishing ended and a comparison made at the point that the earlier-finishing game ended, and progressing backwards).
~ R1 Elimination tie-breaks, where there are MORE players than the required number for R2; players will be eliminated from the tournament based on:
1. In games which went beyond the provisional end-game date, season eliminated as at (1) above; then
2. Positions of players in their respective games when the games actually finished or were held to have finished as at (2) above; then
3. Positions in their games at the end-game date and progressing backwards similar to (3) above.
Subsequent Rounds
For rounds with 21 players, the maximum allowed in a draw = 4; with 14 players, the maximum allowed in a draw = 3.
When all games have finished or reached the end game date, progression will be based upon all players surviving in their games.
~ Elimination tie-breaks, where there are LESS than the required number of players for the next round:
1. If one player has had an elimination reprieve in an earlier round, then that player is eliminated; then
2. Points earned, lowest score progressing (see Scoring below); then
3. Season eliminated, where a later elimination is better than an earlier elimination; then
4. Positions of players in their respective games when eliminated based upon first eliminated being 7th, second eliminated being 6th, etc; then
5. Positions in their games at the latest comparable point (ie if one game finished later than the other, the later-finishing game would omit the turns beyond the date at which the earlier-finishing ended and a comparison made at the point that the earlier-finishing game ended, and progressing backwards).
~ Elimination tie-breaks, where there are MORE than the required number of players for the next round:
1. If one player has had an elimination reprieve in an earlier round, then that player is eliminated; then
2. Points earned, lowest score progressing (see Scoring below); then
3. In games which went beyond the provisional end-game date, season eliminated as at (1) above; then
4. Positions of players in their respective games when the games actually finished or were held to have finished as at (2) above; then
5. Positions in their games at the end-game date and progressing backwards similar to (3) above.
The Final
A solo is the only way to guarantee victory.
There will be no end game date.
Draws can include any number of players.
If the game ends in a draw, then the game will be decided by:
1. If a player has had an elimination reprieve in an earlier round, then that player cannot win the tournament; then
2. Points earned, lowest score progressing, including points earned in the Final (see Scoring below); then
3. Comparison of results earned in past games, so that a player with more solos is placed higher than a player with less, then 2-ways, 3-ways, etc.
4. Head-to-head results. In any games in which the two have played, a comparison is made of finishing positions. These will be changed into scores so that:
Solo = 0 pts
2-way = 1 pts
3-way = 2 pts
4-way = 3 pts
5-way = 4 pts
6-way = 5 pts
7-way = 7 pts
Elimination = 10 pts.
These points will be totaled for ONLY head-to-head games. If still a tie, then the position earned in the Final first, then Semi-Final, the Round 2, then Round 3.
5. Final position, based upon number of SCs held in the Final at the end of the game.

1(a) In each of the qualifying rounds, games will end if:
- A player solos; or
- A draw is accepted. Draws must include no more than five players this round.
1(b) For tournament purposes, results will be taken at the end of 1912 with all players sharing in the draw if that meets the maximum number of players allowed in the draw.
1(c) If the criterion set out in 3(b) is not met, and there are more surviving players in your game than the maximum number allowed, games will continue.
2. If yours is the last game to end, it will continue until any of the above criteria are met OR until it has reached the latest date that the longest other game reached.
2(a) At this point, you will be told and the game will be ended.

D. SCORING
1. Scoring will be awarded for each game.
2. Scoring is ONLY used for the purposes of deciding which players progress to the next round if it is needed, as described above.
If a player earns a solo, that player scores 0 pts.
2-way draws score 1 point.
3-way draws score 2 pts.
4-way draws score 3 pts.
5-way draws score 4 pts.
A player who qualifies after being eliminated will score 10pts.

E. GAMES
(a) All games will be REGULAR, CLASSIC games.
(b) They will be anonymous.
(c) They will include Finalize, DIAS and Spring 1901 NMR protected.
(d) Games will be No Rank WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THE FINAL. The Final is a "stand alone" game and will therefore be Ranked IF players agree, by majority, to this.
(e) Deadlines will be 2/1/1.
(f) Should a game require re-starting because of a Spring 1901 NMR, the player who was removed will be eliminated from the Tournament. If a replacement can be found within a week, the game will be re-started as a seven player game. If a replacement cannot be found, then the game will be re-set with the original players LESS THE REMOVED PLAYER with the TD playing the power and holding it in Civil Disorder.
(g) Players may request one delay to a Game Start by contacting the TD.
(h) Players may request one delay in deadlines per game by contacting the TD. This is meant to prevent the need to surrender or find a substitute unnecessarily.
(i) Unless requested otherwise, the game map/icon will be the site default.

F. ANONYMITY
(a) Players must ensure that they remain anonymous whilst the game they are playing is underway. Players are also forbidden to explicitly claim a false identity in a game.
(b) Should a bug or something similar cause players to seek technical support from Admin, they should PM the TD to report it.
(c) Should anonymity rules be broken whilst a game is underway, players are expected to report this to the TD, who will investigate and assess the breach.
(d) Deliberate revelation of a player's identity by that player will result in a penalty (see Section K below).
(e) Should a player reveal her/his identity accidentally (as deemed by the TD) no penalty will be handed down. This includes another entrant being able to work out the player's identity and/or revealing that to others.
(f) Players may not use the Forum to speculate about identities, as this breaks site rules.

G. SURRENDERING FROM A GAME
(a) Should a player surrender from a game, voluntarily or through automatic surrender following NMRs, whilst active in the game (having units on the board) the player will be removed from the tournament and not qualify for an elimination reprieve.
(b) A player who needs to surrender for a reason should notify the TD who will attempt to find a replacement.
(c) Should the TD be unable to find a replacement, the power will continue in Civil Disorder.

H. RESIGNING FROM THE TOURNAMENT
(a) Players should notify the TD of this necessity, allowing the TD to find a replacement.
(b) If possible, players will be asked to continue to play, or to play-out, games in which they are active, until a replacement can be found.

I. SUBSTITUTES/RESERVES
(a) Should a player require a substitute for a period in a game or games, s/he is responsible for finding the substitute.
(b) A substitute may not be:
- playing in ANY other game ON SITE in which the player is involved (as per site rules);
- be playing in the Tournament;
- a player who has resigned from the Tournament WITHOUT THE PERMISSION OF THE TD.
(c) A reserve may be asked to substitute.
(d) If a player cannot find a temporary substitute, s/he may ask for a delay in deadlines (see above) but, failing this or, by preference, may request the TD to substitute for ONE TURN (movement/retreats/builds) only. Should the TD substitute, the player must provide details of alliances and include provisional orders for moves, retreats and builds/disbandments. The TD will not carry out any diplomacy on behalf of the player. In this scenario, the TD will not amend any movement orders. The TD would approach the game as if not knowing the player assignments in the game and not allow the inside knowledge of the game to affect orders.
(e) Should a substitute be required for longer than one turn, the TD would issue HOLD orders for subsequent turns.
(f) The TD will maintain a list of reserves to replace players who resign from the Tournament.
(g) If a reserve agrees to substitute for a player, s/he may still subsequently replace a player in the Tournament.

J. BUGS
(a) Should a player/player(s) believe a bug or other site-related incident has affected the game, s/he should contact the TD about it NOT post in the Forum.
(b) The TD may choose to "suspend" the game by extending deadlines until the bug can be investigated, and would notify players in the game of this.
(c) Any errors which cannot be evidenced as the result of a bug, any actions occurring because of a bug and anything that cannot be corrected will NOT invalidate the game within the tournament.
(d) A perceived inconsistency between orders and reported orders will not be considered a bug.

K. PENALTIES
(a) Delaying the game in subscription/confirmation and causing the game to therefore be re-set: first occurrence: points scored for that game will be doubled or be the equivalent to the highest possible points for a legal draw, whichever is the higher; second occurrence in the same game: expulsion from the Tournament; three occurrences in different games: expulsion from the Tournament. (This does not include delaying subscribing or confirming where the game is not affected, ie. where the game does not revert to an earlier phase.)
(b) If the TD believes that a player has deliberately broken anonymity rules, whether active or inactive in a game: points scored for that game will be doubled or be the equivalent to the highest possible points for a legal draw, whichever is the higher; subsequent occurrences: removal from the Tournament.
(c) Surrendering from a game whilst active: removal from the Tournament.
(d) Breaking site rules on game play in non-tournament games: penalty dependent on cheating resolution.
NB: The TD will enforce site rules irrespective of a players standing in this tournament. The TD reserves the right to expel players from the tournament for extraordinary circumstances (eg lengthy or repeated Forum bans).
(e) Any player affected by a penalty may appeal the decision. Any actions that cannot be reversed (such as being removed from a game) will not be affected as a result of a successful appeal. The TR will deal with all appeals.
(f) Players may not appeal a reversal of a penalty.
(g) The TR's final decision is not open to appeal.
World Diplomacy Forum.
Don't let the stepladder get you. Watch where you're stepping. ANY step could be a doozy.
rick.leeds
Site Admin
Site Admin

ELIMINATOR Sign-ups.

Postby rick.leeds » 01 May 2014, 10:51

Number of entrants: 21 + 6
Confirmed (in bold): 20

Entrants
cesspitt
Maucat
Palin
jakofipa
mambam14
AlmanMEin
patheprof
Ecallaw
Obh36
numberwang1
NamelessNate REMOVED FROM TOURNAMENT.
xavier77
Brusseau
simblanco
Marky Mark
Thumpington
Tarakashka
valent
bluecuillin
slayer666
White_Wolf
LordGumption
gsmx
tuner
Pb10gon
Fatmo
arthae
tarsier
World Diplomacy Forum.
rick.leeds
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby jakofipa » 01 May 2014, 12:15

hey, I'd like to get signed up!
Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Bronze member of the Classicist club
Member of the Students club
jakofipa

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (961)
All-game rating: (1030)

Postby Gooderian » 01 May 2014, 12:18

I sign up for this as well, looks interesting.
Gold Classicist, and a member of the whippersnappers.
Remember, our country is called the Netherlands, not Holland!
Gooderian

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1059)
All-game rating: (1045)
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby Alman » 01 May 2014, 13:27

I'm interested. Please sign me up.
Bronze Member: The Classicists & Oldies
War in the Americas 7 PbF

"The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote" -Kosh
"Nothing has to be true, but everything has to sound like it was." -Salvor Hardin
Alman

Standard rating: (1466)
All-game rating: (1586)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby patheprof » 01 May 2014, 14:20

I'll sign up, too.
patheprof

Standard rating: (1309)
All-game rating: (1289)