PD Versailles Tournament Has Started! Game Information

TD: sinnybee; Assistant TD: mr bump

Moderator: sinnybee

Re: PD Versailles Tournament Has Started! Game Information

Postby sinnybee » 22 Mar 2014, 02:29

I am quite surprised by all the votes for anonymous--50% of specified votes of those on the roster were for Anonymous Players, and 79% for Anonymous Players / Anonymous Countries!
Also, a lot of those on the roster are there because of my PM invitations sent on 19 Feb, to many of those who were or who had already played a Versailles game. However, those who were playing an anon. player, PPO, or gunboat Versailles active game without another Versailles game as of 19 Feb. (many of which PM invited today) could have driven up the vote for anonymous even more.
Gold Classicist since 1-11-11
FT Asst GM of 35 player WWIV Aug 2011-Feb 2012
#1 ranked player of playdip early 2013
4th highest forum karma count at Apr 2013 ending (behind Craw, Dipsy, and Rick)
Tournament Director of the 31 game PDVT Feb-Dec 2014, the first playdip tourney with over 100 sign-ups
sinnybee

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1332)
All-game rating: (1467)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby GhostEcho » 22 Mar 2014, 07:12

I was a bit surprised to see the opening round (Phase 1 - right?) anonymous. I just went back and checked, and the survey was for Phase 3, with no reference to the rest of the tournament in the introduction. I for some reason assumed this meant the first two rounds would be public even though the questions obviously mention that.

Here's the message I got.

The phase 3 game(s) will be Anonymous Countries.
5) You
A) prefer Regular phase 1 games.
B) prefer Anonymous Countries (player usernames are listed next to the game listing, but not the major power that each is playing (minor powers are always anonymous)) phase 1 games.
C) prefer Anonymous Players (player usernames are not listed next to the game listing at all) phase 1 games.
D) don't care--no preference.

Although I prefer to know my opponents, this isn't a deal-breaker for me, but there's definitely some confusion here. Again, I'm not complaining or objecting or withdrawing or trying to be negative, just noting where the confusion might have come from.

EDIT: I've edited this a couple times now; the short version of what I'm trying to say is that the survey question was maybe phrased in a slightly confusing way. It's not a big deal.
"When you absolutely don't know what to do any more, then it's time to panic." - Johann van der Wiel
"I'm not panicking, I'm watching you panic. It's more entertaining." - Elli Quinn
"[Diplomacy:] No dice or chance. Just calculated insincerity." - Counter Trap
GhostEcho
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1013
All-game rating: 981
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby sinnybee » 22 Mar 2014, 07:40

GhostEcho wrote:I was a bit surprised to see the opening round (Phase 1 - right?) anonymous. I just went back and checked, and the survey was for Phase 3, with no reference to the rest of the tournament in the introduction. I for some reason assumed this meant the first two rounds would be public even though the questions obviously mention that.

Here's the message I got.

The phase 3 game(s) will be Anonymous Countries.
5) You
A) prefer Regular phase 1 games.
B) prefer Anonymous Countries (player usernames are listed next to the game listing, but not the major power that each is playing (minor powers are always anonymous)) phase 1 games.
C) prefer Anonymous Players (player usernames are not listed next to the game listing at all) phase 1 games.
D) don't care--no preference.

Although I prefer to know my opponents, this isn't a deal-breaker for me, but there's definitely some confusion here. Again, I'm not complaining or objecting or withdrawing or trying to be negative, just noting where the confusion might have come from.

EDIT: I've edited this a couple times now; the short version of what I'm trying to say is that the survey question was maybe phrased in a slightly confusing way. It's not a big deal.

Sorry if that was confusing. How could I have done better? I said "phase 1" in A), B), & C). Also, as intended I prefaced by saying that I plan on having phase 3 (as an) Anonymous Countries game(s). I guess I could have said that I wanted to let players have a vote in the game type that they think we should have for the Game A and Game B Phase 1 games.
Tournament Director of the 31 game PDVT Feb-Dec 2014, the first playdip tourney with over 100 sign-ups
sinnybee

Postby GhostEcho » 22 Mar 2014, 16:29

I'm honestly not sure. I think I would have done something like, "Phase 3 is Anonymous Countries. For Phase 1, you prefer: (a) (b) (c) etc."

Like I said, I'm just nit-picking, not complaining - speaking as someone who's run tournaments before (though not Dip) you've done a marvelous job with the organization.
"When you absolutely don't know what to do any more, then it's time to panic." - Johann van der Wiel
"I'm not panicking, I'm watching you panic. It's more entertaining." - Elli Quinn
"[Diplomacy:] No dice or chance. Just calculated insincerity." - Counter Trap
GhostEcho
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1013
All-game rating: 981

Postby Icarus » 23 Mar 2014, 08:51

These may be stupid questions but here goes. How does the Tournament work? Is it like the FA cup or is there around robin? How many games will I play? Does someone tell me when I am playing? Where are the rules?
Icarus
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1035
All-game rating: 900
Timezone: GMT

Postby sinnybee » 23 Mar 2014, 09:30

Icarus wrote:These may be stupid questions but here goes. How does the Tournament work? Is it like the FA cup or is there around robin? How many games will I play? Does someone tell me when I am playing? Where are the rules?

Click here.
sinnybee

Postby sinnybee » 28 Mar 2014, 04:05

As of two hours ago, all 10 Game A games have started :).
sinnybee

Postby JonS » 14 Apr 2014, 19:27

sinnybee wrote:Scroll down for game links, if you want to view one or more PD Versailles Tournament games.

This post was last edited on 2 April (3:14pm New York time).

Any chance we could get a refresh on this? Super helpful summary. (I know I can also just click through to the games to check in, but thought I'd ask...)
“Find an ally who will die for you, and see that he does just that.”
The immortal Richard Sharp

Platinum Member of the Classicists Club
House Tyrell in Diplomacy of Ice and Fire
JonS

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1557)
All-game rating: (1606)

Postby sinnybee » 23 May 2014, 01:00

Applicable to those of about the same score as AlmanMEin:
sinnybee wrote:
AlmanMEin wrote:Great work on the tournament BTW. I doubt I'll make it into the next round, but I can hope. :)

Assuming you lose to juangrisart (only one game recorded) in the tie for 16th, you'll still have to be moved down 12 positions to be kicked out of qualifying to Phase 2. There are 7 Phase 1 games that have yet to be completed. If they end up being say 3 solos and 4 * 3-way draws, that's 15 players. A few of those 15 may be already above you in rank and a few may be in a weak draw position, ending up with less points than you.
It could go either way.
When there is a replacement needed for Phase 2 games, priority will be given to those of the best rank.
In other words, if you end up with a rank of 29 or 30, there's a good chance that you'll a full chance of playing in Phase 2, though it may be more difficult to qualify to the final board in such a circumstance.
sinnybee

Postby Major B » 29 May 2014, 12:52

I did a little math work (which means someone needs to double check me - I majored in history for a reason) and thought I'd share the results here.

Out of the 20 games that have been scored, 8 were SOLO wins, 3 were 2-way draws, 8 were 3-way draws and there was 1 4-way draw.

The total number of winners sums out as 42.

Out of those 42, Italy is the winningest country with 8 victories. Next comes Britain with 7 and France and the USSR with 6 each.

Germany, Poland, and Turkey all trail with 5 each. So to those who managed a phase I win with one of these countries, congratulations.

Here is a bit more detail:
Italy: 2x solo, 1x 2-way, 4x 3-way, 1x 4-way, total 8
Britain: 1x solo, 1x 2-way, 5x 3-way, total 7
France: 2x solo, 1x 2-way, 3x 3-way, total 6
USSR: 3x solo, 1x 2-way, 1x 3-way, 1x 4-way, total 6
Turkey: 4x 3-way, 1x 4-way, total 5
Germany: 4x 3-way, 1x 4-way, total 5
Poland: 2x 2-way, 3x 3-way, total 5

EDIT: Updated to add results from the two most recently scored games. Changes are this color.
Last edited by Major B on 30 May 2014, 00:29, edited 1 time in total.
Silver member of The Classicists.
Major B

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1075)
All-game rating: (1240)

PreviousNext

Return to PlayDip Versailles Tournament