PDVersaillesT Poll; Resolved: Turn off 1st Turn NMR Protect

TD: sinnybee; Assistant TD: mr bump

Moderator: sinnybee

Versailles Tournament: Leave 1st Turn NMR Protect On?

Poll ended at 14 Mar 2014, 03:10

Yes, I want a replacement to fill in for any player who NMRs their first turn.
42%
No, I don't want Versailles Tournament games to use 1st Turn NMR Protect.
58%

Total votes : 24

Re: Versailles Tournament: Leave 1st Turn NMR Protect On?

Postby numberwang1 » 12 Mar 2014, 17:59

sinnybee wrote:
numberwang1 wrote:Everyone who doesnt NMR ends up screwed by the protection when the NMR itself may or may not damage them at all. I have yet to see a valid enough counterpoint to this (which I see as the best argument against as someone who is really really busy) that justifies having NMR protection turned on. Vote no!

If the goal is to not inconvenience players, then yeah, but if the goal is to have a very full and competitive tournament, NMR protect is the way to go.

If I have to negotiate two openings at once, I am much less competitive, and Id assume the same goes for everyone else who votes no. I think its more competitive if everyone can compete on a level playing field, if everyone gets the same time to negotiate on the first turn.
Platinum Member of the Classicists
numberwang1

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1187)
All-game rating: (1329)
Timezone: GMT-6

Re: Versailles Tournament: Leave 1st Turn NMR Protect On?

Postby sinnybee » 12 Mar 2014, 18:30

numberwang1 wrote:
sinnybee wrote:
numberwang1 wrote:Everyone who doesnt NMR ends up screwed by the protection when the NMR itself may or may not damage them at all. I have yet to see a valid enough counterpoint to this (which I see as the best argument against as someone who is really really busy) that justifies having NMR protection turned on. Vote no!

If the goal is to not inconvenience players, then yeah, but if the goal is to have a very full and competitive tournament, NMR protect is the way to go.

If I have to negotiate two openings at once, I am much less competitive, and Id assume the same goes for everyone else who votes no. I think its more competitive if everyone can compete on a level playing field, if everyone gets the same time to negotiate on the first turn.

Even if we were to use NMR protect, no one would have less than 4 days between games.
Gold Classicist since 1-11-11
FT Asst GM of 35 player WWIV Aug 2011-Feb 2012
#1 ranked player of playdip early 2013
4th highest forum karma count at Apr 2013 ending (behind Craw, Dipsy, and Rick)
Tournament Director of the 31 game PDVT Feb-Dec 2014, the first playdip tourney with over 100 sign-ups
sinnybee

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1332)
All-game rating: (1467)
Timezone: GMT-7

Previous

Return to PlayDip Versailles Tournament