Could I sign up? I'd love to Play!
PhileasFogg

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1276)
All-game rating: (1339)
Timezone: GMT

Re: The Versailles Tournament Sign-ups

Postby socratease » 08 Mar 2014, 09:06

No word yet on whether DIAS or 1st turn NMR protection/reset are enabled, and no apparent call for a vote or poll.

I hereby state my preference that DIAS is on and NMR protection off, both consistent with the rules of Diplomacy as written.
socratease

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1715)
All-game rating: (1958)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby GENPershing » 09 Mar 2014, 04:36

socratease wrote:No word yet on whether DIAS or 1st turn NMR protection/reset are enabled, and no apparent call for a vote or poll.

I hereby state my preference that DIAS is on and NMR protection off, both consistent with the rules of Diplomacy as written.

I 2nd that.
Sliver Member of Classicist, and a Star Ambassador (at heart)
I was born, in a crossfire HURRICANE!!
Been gone for a long time, and I'm happy to be back
GENPershing
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1011)
All-game rating: (1012)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby sinnybee » 09 Mar 2014, 09:06

socratease wrote:No word yet on whether DIAS or 1st turn NMR protection/reset are enabled, and no apparent call for a vote or poll.

I still plan on no for DIAS and yes for "1st turn NMR protection/reset".
There is no vote/poll available for those settings.
I already sent out a vote for six items. I don't think there's any other TD or GM in the history of this website who calls for more feedback than I do. Mr bump is telling me that I'm giving myself too much work as it is. I really can't let you guys vote on everything.

I feel that non-DIAS is better suited for the scoring system and that the combination of the two (non-DIAS with the Mille System supplemented by end-game supply center count) is well suited to avoid having the games go too long. Also, as always, non-DIAS doesn't force anyone to accept a non-DIAS draw.

As far as I've noticed, a vast majority of GMs have strict penalties against 1st turn NMRs, and I want this tournament to be similar to the good quality of games I see from DVFGs. As the reasoning goes, if a player misses their first turn, it's more likely that they will miss one or more future turns. Rick runs tournaments with 1st turn NMR protect too.

I don't believe I can allow these issues to be up for discussion. I don't have time for this.
If any of you do not like the tournament settings, you have the choice to withdraw from the tournament or to stay despite not getting your way.

From the other thread:
socratease wrote:Leave 1st turn NMR protection turned off! If someone NMRs first round too bad for them. No delays in game starts, please.

Turn DIAS on.

Both DIAS and game starts ready-or-not are consistent with the rules as written for Diplomacy.

I don't consider the insisting that I change the settings to be an informal matter, and even if it were, I don't appreciate you posting basically the same thing on both threads. And where were you weeks ago? Why has this not been brought up sooner? My intentions of no DIAS and NMR protect have always been in the OP. Now, when I have nearly 100 PMs to sort through, and a lot of preparation to do, you bring this up, and say it in both threads?
I don't mind hearing suggestions, but I feel that I've been pushed / bossed around a bit too much by you. Most of your PMs have been okay, but the strength at which you write above is making me feel uncomfortable.

Thumpington wrote:totally agree with turning the 1st turn NMR off... this is a competitive tourney.

Are Rick's tournaments not competitive?
...well, I guess no 1st turn protect could save me some time later, but having only players who play their first turn seems more competitive to me.
You didn't have some reason / explanation / logic behind your words?
Gold Classicist since 1-11-11
FT Asst GM of 35 player WWIV Aug 2011-Feb 2012
#1 ranked player of playdip early 2013
4th highest forum karma count at Apr 2013 ending (behind Craw, Dipsy, and Rick)
Tournament Director of the 31 game PDVT Feb-Dec 2014, the first playdip tourney with over 100 sign-ups
sinnybee

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1332)
All-game rating: (1467)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby socratease » 09 Mar 2014, 23:53

sinnybee wrote:All tournament games will probably not use the DIAS setting.
...This tournament will probably have 1st turn NMR protection for all Phase 1 games.

Sorry, I took the word "probably" as meaning not set in stone. Since the fate of these features was neither disclosed nor polled in the preferences PM, nor here in the OP, why unreasonable that I published my preferences and reasons?

As for posting in both threads, it was unclear where it most properly belonged.

Anyway, asked and answered and now we know.
socratease

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1715)
All-game rating: (1958)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby GENPershing » 10 Mar 2014, 01:25

Hey sinnybee

I was wondering if you know when exactly the tournament will begin. I want to know so I can trim the number of games I usually play. I want to focus only on tournament games during that time.

Thanks
GENPershing
Premium Member

Postby sinnybee » 10 Mar 2014, 07:20

socratease wrote:
sinnybee wrote:All tournament games will probably not use the DIAS setting.
...This tournament will probably have 1st turn NMR protection for all Phase 1 games.

Sorry, I took the word "probably" as meaning not set in stone.

Correct, not set in stone.
Since turning off 1st turn NMR protect might make things easier, I could set up a poll if I heard a reason to turn it off other than just "it's not part of the rules" or something like that.

socratease wrote:Since the fate of these features was neither disclosed nor polled in the preferences PM, nor here in the OP, why unreasonable that I published my preferences and reasons?

It isn't unreasonable.

The above is a wonderfully written post.
However, I feel that:
socratease wrote:Leave 1st turn NMR protection turned off!

and
socratease wrote:Turn DIAS on.

both sounded like orders.
I'm doing my best to serve you guys, really I am, but you're not my commanding officer.

socratease wrote:As for posting in both threads, it was unclear where it most properly belonged.

Anyway, asked and answered and now we know.

Sorry I haven't had the chance to properly set-up the tournament rules, settings, and threads as of yet.
Tournament Director of the 31 game PDVT Feb-Dec 2014, the first playdip tourney with over 100 sign-ups
sinnybee

Postby sinnybee » 10 Mar 2014, 07:48

GENPershing wrote:Hey sinnybee

I was wondering if you know when exactly the tournament will begin. I want to know so I can trim the number of games I usually play. I want to focus only on tournament games during that time.

Thanks

I'm really hoping that I can get 3/1/1 and/or 2/2/2 game(s) for Game B to start in a few days. However, mr bump and I do not yet have a google doc up that we can both access at this point, and I want to give enough time for players to respond and confirm, and of course I need to get finalized rules up too. Still, I'm hoping to get game details for 3/1/1 and/or 2/2/2 game(s) for Game B PMed by Friday.
Details for joining all Game A games will probably be PMed about 5-6 days after that, though that depends on survey responses.

TL;DR: If your Game B isn't a 3/1/1 or 2/2/2 game, then your first tournament game (being your Game A) will be available to join around the 19th or the 20th of March.
sinnybee

Postby entoz » 10 Mar 2014, 11:36

If there is any chance to take part, I'm definitely interested. Versailles is absolutely most entertaining map variant.
entoz

Standard rating: (940)
All-game rating: (1251)
Timezone: GMT+2

Postby GENPershing » 10 Mar 2014, 15:00

sinnybee wrote:TL;DR: If your Game B isn't a 3/1/1 or 2/2/2 game, then your first tournament game (being your Game A) will be available to join around the 19th or the 20th of March.

Oh that's coming up soon. Oh well... I guess there won't be any time to relax before the tournament.
GENPershing
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to PlayDip Versailles Tournament