Everybody is an Ambassador?

Player classes used on PlayDiplomacy

Re: Everybody is an Ambassador?

Postby Gavrilo Princip » 03 Dec 2015, 00:05

Alman wrote:
Gavrilo Princip wrote:Can "Star Ambassador" status drop off if you don't play in any active games for awhile?

I don't think you can lose it for not playing active games. If you become inactive you don't lose anything. When you become active again you pick up where you left off. However, you do lose it if your messaging falls off. I just lost mine after a protracted almost-stalemated game where there was very little need of anymore messaging and yet the years dragged on. Hoping to get it back soon. I miss it. :(

:)

Thanks, Alman.
~Gavrilo Princip
Silver Classicist
Gavrilo Princip

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1214
All-game rating: 1244
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Lucifers-Hammer » 03 Dec 2015, 00:09

I also just realized I went from Diplomat to Star Ambassador in one fell swoop. I guess that qualifies me as a regular chatterbox now.

If Public Press was included I would probably ascend to Nuclear Ambassador or Chainsaw Ambassador status before Super Dipsy even finished creating just such a class. :mrgreen:
What to expect when playing against me ... Picture having a running chainsaw thrown at you.
Lucifers-Hammer

Class: Star Ambassador
All-game rating: 919
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Custer » 03 Dec 2015, 00:35

I let my attacks do the talk in........lol

Shiv
First..........get off my lawn! Second........it's a dashing self portrait! Courtesy of The Craw. Third.....I am still SHIV, Keeper of the Stone Tablets! Go Pack! And behold the power of cheese! And one more thing. Say ya to da U.P. eh!
Custer
Premium Member

Location: Sailing somewhere in Da U.P. in Da Whitehawk and an original Yooper!
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 995
All-game rating: 1135
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby NineofSwords » 03 Dec 2015, 02:52

Really? Based on my experience, it feels to me like >50% are not Ambassador. So many NMRs and people who simply do not talk at all. :cry: Maybe my sample are biased because I almost always play norank non-Ambassador-required game.
I find it quite hard to somehow get 5 messages per turn though. I mean, beside your immediate ally and your potential future ally, who else are you going to talk to?
NineofSwords

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (985)
All-game rating: (986)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Alman » 03 Dec 2015, 05:09

NineofSwords wrote:Really? Based on my experience, it feels to me like >50% are not Ambassador. So many NMRs and people who simply do not talk at all. :cry: Maybe my sample are biased because I almost always play norank non-Ambassador-required game.
I find it quite hard to somehow get 5 messages per turn though. I mean, beside your immediate ally and your potential future ally, who else are you going to talk to?

The best and strongest approach is to talk to everyone, often. Keep in touch, keep good communication, even when stabbed or stabbing. Of course, it requires a bit of a gentlemanly (or gentle-ladily) touch (unless you're username includes the word "hammer" ;) ). After all, your current ally could become an adversary and a current adversary might suddenly need to be an ally.

That's what will make a Star Ambassador out of you. Talk to everyone, often.
Bronze Member: The Classicists & Oldies
War in the Americas 7 PbF

"The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote" -Kosh
"Nothing has to be true, but everything has to sound like it was." -Salvor Hardin
Alman

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1466)
All-game rating: (1586)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby super_dipsy » 03 Dec 2015, 08:09

I had to go and look to see how this data is generated, but I know the answer now!

1. Active Players is rather strictly defined as the number of players actually active in a game NOW. So you may have a regular player who just happens not to be in any games at the moment, and this player would not count as active. I think it would make more sense for this number to give the number of 'live' players, which is those players who have started a game in the last 3 months.

2. Ambassador / Star Ambassador numbers are totals for all members. So the reason the number of Ambassadors is almost the same as the active player count is that we have over 2000 ambassadors but a number of them may no longer be playing or have played recently. Not sure what makes the most sense here; it is nice to know how many people have achieved that level, but I can see it might also be nice to know how many regular players are Ambassadors / Star Ambassadors.

For anyone interested,
- there are currently 6078 players who are 'alive' (that is, have been active in the last 3 months) (341 are students in the Schools program)
- of this 6078, 682 have achieved Ambassador status
- of this 682, 170 have achieved star ambassador status

(Edited to correct numbers)
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (931)
Timezone: GMT

Previous

Return to Player Classes